Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a Winchester 22 Rimfire model 52 , bolt action , single shot that dates to 1947 by the S/N. Installed near the front of the hand guard is a type of tuner with 4 contact points touching the barrel. It has a patent number 2497861 that dates it to Sept. 1950 issued to Brown,JR.
Does anybody have any more info ? How to best tune it?
I intend on using this rifle in completion at 50 yard and Long range out to 250 yard

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,092 Posts
Interesting, looks like it's for tuning forend pressure. Up, down, left, right, sideways.... you could go through a lot of ammo fiddling with it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, looks like it's for tuning forend pressure. Up, down, left, right, sideways.... you could go through a lot of ammo fiddling with it!
My thoughts also. I had to remove it so I could do a repair on the Canjar trigger. The lower studs were frozen, Kroll oil and a lot of patience, several days tapping to get them to move. So I lost the original setting. Mounting a period correct scope now and hope to start shooting this week. May be an interesting project tuning this rifle.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
It is a barrel support device that allows the barrel to be free-floated or bedded in any number of ways. I would back off on all four to start with and then add and subtract is needed for experimentation.
FWIW-- Matt Canjar in Denver made his first trigger to fit the Model 52 Winchester and from that first one grew a great business for many years on E. 45th street. He had a display of triggers and cut-a-ways and experiments in heat treat. It was like a museum. In on case was a Model 52 with a set trigger. The trigger was an aluminum wire sticking straight down. When set, the gun could be tilted upwards about 30 degrees before it would dry fire. The trigger pull was less than a gram. I had to take Matt's word for it because it was too fragile to play with, only a concept prototype of a later production model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a barrel support device that allows the barrel to be free-floated or bedded in any number of ways. I would back off on all four to start with and then add and subtract is needed for experimentation.
FWIW-- Matt Canjar in Denver made his first trigger to fit the Model 52 Winchester and from that first one grew a great business for many years on E. 45th street. He had a display of triggers and cut-a-ways and experiments in heat treat. It was like a museum. In on case was a Model 52 with a set trigger. The trigger was an aluminum wire sticking straight down. When set, the gun could be tilted upwards about 30 degrees before it would dry fire. The trigger pull was less than a gram. I had to take Matt's word for it because it was too fragile to play with, only a concept prototype of a later production model.
Thank You for the extra info JBelk. I did a lot of research on the Canjar trigger before I removed it. It is one very fine trigger. I understand Mr Canjar is no longer in business. Too bad as I would love to have his trigger in some other guns.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Really cool rifle, thinking it's a collector piece being born in 1947 unless it's a safe queen, 75,000rds is the upper limit for 22 target rifle accuracy. That's two cartons per year. I shoot a carton per month on average.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
If you need a single set Canjar for a MkV Weatherby, such a deal I have for you!

It was said of Canjar Triggers: 'They're number one in the world, the next one down is in seventh place'.
Precision cost money. Sometimes lots of it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you need a single set Canjar for a MkV Weatherby, such a deal I have for you!

It was said of Canjar Triggers: 'They're number one in the world, the next one down is in seventh place'.
Precision cost money. Sometimes lots of it.
I have a Canjar Single Set on my Mauser 220 Wilson-Watkins Arrow. They are indeed a fine piece of workmanship. I also have a German Weatherby 7mm Wby. Mag., but I'm not sure that's the 'right place' to incorporate a single set trigger, regardless of quality...now, if it were a 224 Wby. Mag., I'd be sending you a PM!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts