Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Folks,

I'm considering a riflescope for my .30-06. Maximum anticipated distance to be shot is 500 yards, with most shots coming 200 -300 yards. Deer and antelope in the 100 - 150 pound range. Rifle shoots sub-MOA (2.2" @ 300 yards w/handloads).

For roughly the same price, I can purchase a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 or a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44. The extra magnification is certainly beneficial to these old eyes, but clarity of picture is certainly as, if not more, important. Can't legally shoot after dark - don't want to anyway. So which will it be?

Thanks,:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
well i have not used either of those two so my only comment would be to look through them both at something in the distance with the power cranked up and see which one to me showed the best detail/image and go with that. especialy if you're looking to shoot at the longer end of that spectrum. how critical does eye relief get on the higher magnification? as i got older and stiffer i found critical eye releif scopes to be a bother to use for any extended period of time such as at the range. when cranked up if i so much as twitched the thing (image) would wink at me. so a combination of image clarity and ease of use in terms of a forgiving eye relief at the higher end of magnification would be the desiding factorfor me if both scopes were within my personal price range. saving an extra hundred or so isn't worth it if you can't use it the way you want.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Those two scopes should be real close in clarity. I would go to the store just a little before dark and ask the clerk to walk outside with you while you look through both of them. See which one looks the clearest and brightest while the sun it doing down.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I posed your question of Leopold vs Zeiss to a gent in his 60s that like me prefers to shoot about every Sunday at range. I knew he used Zeiss scopes on some of his better rifles.

His comment was Zeiss has better optics/clarity.......then went on to say, he'd been a Leopold user for quite awhile and then one day he'd bought an inexpensive brand scope and discovered its optics were close to those of his Leopolds. This surprised him, leading him to switch to Zeiss scopes. He claimed he could see things in poor early morning or late day light with Zeiss he couldn't see with his Leopolds. Gent, said he traded in his six Leopolds to purchase Zeiss scopes.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I might look twice at a Leupold VX3 (NOT a VXIII) but of the 50+ scopes I own, Zeiss reigns in the $400 price range.;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't think that you will be disappointed in either. If the extra magnification is important, I would go with the Leupold.

I have compared my Leupolds to cheaper scopes and found a major difference in optics. I have Zeiss binculars, but no scopes. I would not hesitate to purchase either. In fact, those are the two (brand and model) that I normally look at when buying new glass.

·
Registered
574 Posts
P.S. I have a Leupold VX3 (or III, don't remember for sure) 3.5-10x50 that I absolutely love. You might take a look at that. I am a fan of the larger objectives.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Get the Zeiss Conquest series in 4.5-14 -44mm. The 44mm will still clear the barrel with std rings and bases, but the extra clarity you get early and late while hunting is worth another $100.00. I really think it's a better hunting scope than the 4.5-14 Leupold, and allows judging animals better than the 3.5-10 Zeiss.
Midsouth has them for $688.00. That's without all of the milspec bs! Just a perfect duplex crosshair.
You wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the input. Zeiss it is - I'm not getting any younger and the clarity wins out. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts