Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello It has been a while. I am getting back into handgun hunting. So I went out and bought a Ruger Redhawk in .45 ACP/ 45 Colt. I would like to start loading for it so I can take it out for a Bear hunt here in Colorado. So I have 355 grain hard cast bullets that I load for my .454 Casull and I have Number 9 powder and H110. I would like to use this bullet because I have had lots of luck with may Casull and I have lots of them. I would appreciate if some body could give a good starting point. I would like to work up to 1100 or 1200 FPS.
Thank You

·
Registered
546 Posts
21 grains of H110 should give you right at 1100 fps, depending on the length of the bullet. A short nosed bullet leaves more of the bullet in the case, raising pressure. A long nosed design will let you go up another grain for a little more velocity. Use a very firm crimp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I am so excited to get back into hand gun hunting and loading for it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Manny,

I know you have an edge on me here, but with my 5.5" RedHawk in .44mag. my go to load has been a 310gr Wide Flat Nose bullet from an LBT mold ahead of 19gr of AA#9 for a velocity right at 1300fps.

Providing the hunter does his or her part, your .45 will get er done.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you're going to hunt deer, you don't need a super heavy bullet at high velocity. Whitetail deer are easy to kill; I've taken loads of them with a .357 revolver shooting 124 grain jhp handloads, 158 grain jhp handloads and factory 158 grain jhp loads. I've also taken lots of them with round lead ball in a number of flintlocks. None required more than that one, first shot.

My two Ruger .45 Colt BHs are very accurate with 260 grain swc over 18 grains of 2400 for 1250 fps. If I were to shoot deer with my .45 Colts, that's the load I'd use. In this photo the first revolver from the left and the third are my two .45 Colts; the other two are my SBH .44 mag and my .41 BH.

gwe5dn6ah

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post and didn't think "bear". I had deer on my (what's left of it) mind. Your load is NOT uncalled for and should be great. However, having said that, the load I use in my .45 Colts would work splendidly.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Being a pretty much a one hunting load for one firearm person, I like to as much as possible "optimize" one load for all game on which a given firearm might be used.

For that reason, and knowing just how terribly effective a cast Wide Flat Nose bullet in 45 caliber is and also knowing that a properly cast bullet is not going to fragment, I'd still go with the heavier bullet and use it for ALL game hunted with that gun.

No, you don't need warp velocity, but back to the one load for all game ----------------------------

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hello ManyL, and welcome to Shooters Forum!

I'm assuming you're referring to black bear, not browns or any of the brown bear sub species.

Considering you're using a revolver that is built for magnum class 45 LC loads, I'd be looking at magnum powders that will deliver the highest velocities, H110/296 would be among my first choice.

Bullet choice for me would be one of Speer's best handgun hunting bullets known as a Deep Curl. Speer offers 2 options here, one is the 260 gr. and the 300 gr. Deep Curl. The 260 is really a very good bullet for hunting tough, thick skinned animals such as bear. The other is a 300 gr., this bullet was developed specifically with the 454 Casull in mind and will perform just as well as the 260 gr., just with 40 grs. more weight.

The reasons I would personally go with a Deep Curl is because of it's unique construction properties, in that the jacket is similar to a bonded design, therefore it won't separate from the lead core, at least never in my experience. It's not actually a jacketed bullet per say, the outer copper coating is an integrated part of the core which is a form of plating that's really unlike any other. Loading them is no different than loading for a jacketed bullet and uses the same data.

The other great design feature is that they really perform very similarly to a cast, except that most of the time they mushroom and pedal out much as a jacketed hollow point would. But when using them on an animal with dense heavy tissue, bone, or hide, they'll sometimes act nearly identical as a cast does with regard to penetration. One could term them as a HP, but because the hollow point is super shallow and nearly the same diameter as the bearing surface, it performs very well when slamming into hide, flesh and bone, thus leaving a large wound channel.

SMOA

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
355 is a little on the heavy side but will work. I like the LBT 335 gr in mine with 21.5 gr of 296. That gives 1160 fps, killed many deer with it. I shot through a 16" box elder tree and cut a 1" grape vine in half, could not find the bullet in the ground, might be in China. I can't see any part of a bear stopping it.
Another good bullet is the Lyman 452651, same load. I use a Fed 150 primer or a WW LP. Things are stupid accurate, I dropped a deer at about 110 yards off hand when I could hold steady. Have to love the old Colt. Does not need real fast.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hello It has been a while. I am getting back into handgun hunting. So I went out and bought a Ruger Redhawk in .45 ACP/ 45 Colt. I would like to start loading for it so I can take it out for a Bear hunt here in Colorado. So I have 355 grain hard cast bullets that I load for my .454 Casull and I have Number 9 powder and H110. I would like to use this bullet because I have had lots of luck with may Casull and I have lots of them. I would appreciate if some body could give a good starting point. I would like to work up to 1100 or 1200 FPS.
Thank You
You don't say what barrel length you got, and it makes a big difference in how you approach your load. I have the 4" version, and have found that a 265 gr. WFN-GC from Beartooth sized at .453" is a good choice for my heavy load. That bullet is hard as ****, and loaded over 13 gr. Blue Dot, gives 1100 fps, and doesn't have the recoil and muzzle blast you get with H110/296. Super accurate, great penetration. If you want to go heavier, you need more barrel - 5.5" or better.

One of the more important things to remember is that you want something that is controllable and that allows for a fast - and accurate - quick second shot. That is not going to happen with a 350 gr. bullet. All the power in the world won't help you one bit if you can't control the recoil well enough to get off two quick shots where it counts.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like the CPBC 360gr over 21gr H110 for 1050fjps out of a 4 5/8" Ruger Bisley. Better penetrator and bigger meplat than the 335gr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

You don't say what barrel length you got, and it makes a big difference in how you approach your load. I have the 4" version, and have found that a 265 gr. WFN-GC from Beartooth sized at .453" is a good choice for my heavy load. That bullet is hard as ****, and loaded over 13 gr. Blue Dot, gives 1100 fps, and doesn't have the recoil and muzzle blast you get with H110/296. Super accurate, great penetration. If you want to go heavier, you need more barrel - 5.5" or better.

One of the more important things to remember is that you want something that is controllable and that allows for a fast - and accurate - quick second shot. That is not going to happen with a 350 gr. bullet. All the power in the world won't help you one bit if you can't control the recoil well enough to get off two quick shots where it counts.
Thank you and I have ordered some of the 265 gr. you advise is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I use a Lee c452-300 RF or a Lyman 452424 or Lee 452-255 RF but if my intended use was for bear I'd go with the Lyman or Lee 300RF. I think you will find the recoil more manageable using H110 than 2400 or Unique but all 3 will give you the velocity you are looking for.

In my Blackhawks I find that with heavy loads especially if I'm approaching Linebaugh levels the H110/W296 provides a less sharp push recoil than the Unique or 2400. I do not recommend Linebaugh loads for other than Blackhawks, Redhawks or Bowen's. I don't recommend them to those not familiar with the signs of pressure and working loads from the bottom up and being very careful when doing it.

Frankly, I think a 260-270gr like the RCBS 270 SAA is more than enough for any bear short of grizzly and your not hunting grizzly with a handgun, are you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts