Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alaskan Brown Bear. Wild stories on size and weight. Supposedly a self defense kill.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for straighening this out. That is still a big bear. My Ontario black bear total skull measurement equals this bears length.
Now, having gotten this out of the way, a friend is going to be in Alaska in 2003 for a bowhunting float trip. He will not be initiating any contact with bears, in fact hopes to avoid any contact. But on the off chance he need protection, what would be recommended. I know the 454 and up would be the best choice but I don't think he could handle them.
Would a 5.5 to 7.5 Super Black Hawk with a 300 gr WFN ahead of a full charge of W296 work well enough to get him out of trouble?
I think my personal choice would be a cheap double 12 gauge with stock and barrels modified to make it carryable. He doesn't like that idea at all.
Waduthink?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
Guide Gun!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,
The guide gun or a 12 gauge or 375 or what ever is good medicine. But as a bowhunter, he is not going to carry something that requires another hand or something hanging on his back. A handgun is probably all he is willing to add to his load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts