Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a reasonable starting load for the BT 405Gr in .452 for the 454 Casull using ww296/h110?  I bought a box for my buddy to shoot in his Ruger SRH but we have no idea of where he should be starting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
START AT 20GR OF H110/W296 AND WORK UP SLOWLY. I WOULD ALSO NOT RECOMMEND ANY OTHER POWDER THAN THE ONES MENTIONED WHEN DEALING WITH A BULLET THAT USES THIS AMOUNT OF CASE CAPACITY. PRESSURES CAN SPIKE SUDDENLY WHEN THE CASE CAPACITY IS SHRUNK WITH THE HEAVY WEIGHTS. I HAVE RAN SOME LBT 395GR THROUGH MY 454 @1200 AND ACCURACY WAS NOT BAD. BUT THEY DO NEED SPEED TO STABILIZE CORRECTLY. HOPE THIS HELPS.   JIM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bart,

You might go to Hodgdon's web site and check out what data they have on Lil-Gun.  This powder, with some bullet weights in the 454 Casull, will produce more velocity with much less pressure than H110.  I talked with a technician at Hodgdon's, and he told me that the pressures were low because they could not phisically get any more powder in the case.  If you can't get more in, you can't get into trouble (with the 454 anyway).  

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts