Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the by products of loading snd testing different bullet weight/powder combos for the South Florida meat shoots is something we find an excellent bullet/powder combo.
That's what happened with this bullet. At 11.2 grs of AA5 everything went to sleep! Groups went down to less than 2" (outside to outside) at 30 yds. This load ran right at 1100 fbs. With my SBH (7.5" barrel) hitting dead center with 240/250 grainers, the 280 impacted at about 2"-3" high at 30 yards, but within sight adjustment. We went up to 12 grs of AA5 for right at 1175/1200 fps and accuracy was almost as good. All in all, this BTB 280 gr bullets is an outstanding game bullet! I think you could go on up to 14 grs of AA5 with this bullet and come in close to 1300 fps and be safe.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
James,

I've got an e-mail into Marshall now about the 240 gr WFN GCs you spoke of but They are not listed. As you probably have summized from my previous posts I am not very accurate with heavy loads. I have to keep the recoil down to maintain accuracy. I do this in my bowhunting also. I cannot take shots beyound my effective range because the lose of an animal is not worth it to me. I think I can handle the 240 gr at about 1000fps. I am hoping to get this with universal powder but I may have to go with the Blue Dot that others have suggested. Now you have put the AA5 in the mix. Am I right to say that the AA5 will have more recoil than the Universal because of lower pressures. If I can't get the accuracy with the faster powders I will just not hunt with the 44 this year as my test time has run out. Thank God above( and I think He agrees) I will be after a little Buck with my bow in the morning.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last print out I have shows the .432" 240gr WFN GC in the line? Did Marshall say he dropped it? Our telephone conversation early this week led me to think it was still in the line.
As you know I have stressed handgun control as being the single most important thing in meat shooting. Any 240/265 gr bullet (.44 or .44 cal) at a velocity 1000/1200 fps will kill any deer cleanly! I have found that AA5 is one of the most accurate powders available for .44/.45's. It seems slower than Unique. I am impressed with the BTb .432" 240 gr
at 1000/1200 fbs. It matchs Elmer Keith's 1200 fps load. I really don't think you would have any trouble with the 12.5 gr load and it is very, very accurate! Let me know how you do! Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 4:20 pm on Aug. 31, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

From what I see, it looks like the 240 WFN is a plain based design. There is a 250 LFN GC though. At the velocities you mention, I don't think it would be a problem anyway.

I'm coming around to this weight (240-250) range myself for deer hunting although I think the 280 is a do all weight for multiple species and the gunner wanting to settle on one bullet weight.

Good luck Chief.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray anm Chief.....I'm retesting the BTB 250 gr LFN GC now. There were about a half dozen deer killed last year with that bullet. What is different about that bullet is the .295" ahallow seating depth (see specs.) and published loads for a 250 gr bullet falls shy in velocity with that bullet(as tested by Bill M! I still like that bullet as it, and the BTB .432" 265 gr. feed well in the Marlin 1894P.
Ray...I agree with you that the .432" 280 OWC and BTB WFN GC has eveything going for it. However, if Chief drops the velocity down into the 1000/1100 fps range it will shoot very high and he might run out of sight adjustment. The thing I really like about that BTB 240 gr WFN PB is the .340" meplat, plus the fact it shoots right in with my present sight adjustment with the BTB 265 gr and Hornady 240 XTP. However, as this post began..the BTB 280 is so accurate it's scary and it has that .340" meplat also.
Chief...I have to admire your stones to admit (as others should) that excessive recoil is anti-productive in meat shooting!
Best Regards to All, James  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

I fully agree with you regarding the sight adjustment problem if you slow down the 280 grainer.

My Contender 8" bbl snub is dead on at 25 yds with 280 gr 1390 FPS loads with the rear sight cranked down all the way. A lighter bullet would be the way to go. Same goes for my 5.5" bbl SBH.

Thanks for the practical field use insights. They are very telling as always.

Regards, Ray

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Gentlemen,

The 44-240WFN is only available in a PB version, have often contemplated a GC 240 grain, but the demand has been so low for the 240's that it didn't seem to pencil out in the plus column.

The 44-250g LFNGC is of course a GC bullet and has proven itself not only in the game fields, but on the metallic target courses winning top honors in the accuracy department with these folks.  Too, it feeds nicely through most lever action carbines.

I think that the new .44-265WFNGC bullet that we have introduced will in the end, be the best of all worlds, in terms of accuracy, penetration and allowing proper sight adjustment at the lower velocities some prefer to shoot their .44's.

I'm eager for range and field reports on this bullet.

Best to all, and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Marshall whole heartedly that the BTB .432" 265 gr bullet may well be the best compromise weight going in .44 cal. It has become my favorite cast bullet in both the Ruger SBH and Marlin 1894P. Using Marshall's load of 14 grs of 800X it's a "Hummer", to say the least. It will be in my firearms as I travel the swamps in Nov. However, in my neck of the woods the are some ultra conservative meat shooters, who have put down trainloads of meat with the old #429421 at 1200 fps. Of all the BTB bullets I have shown them, the BTB .432" 240 WFN PB is the only one (.44 cal) that impressed them. I still say it is perfect for those that want to push a 240/250 gr bullet at 1100/1200 fps out of their .44 Specials and .44 Magnums. Of course, bullet selection is somewhat regional and traditional.
Best Regards to All, James

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

There most assuredly will be OWC's in .44, .45, and .38/357 as well!  All things take time (and money) when I have to have the cherries cut to make the molds!  They actually are in the works, but again, these custom job requests take time from the machinists who do them!  Their quality is second to none, and I wouldn't want any less, consequently they have a backlog longer than some bullet companies that I've heard tell about! :smile:

They will be available in the future... exact dates I can't say, but all will be gas checked bullets for those who choose to push the velocities up a notch or two!

They should make some interesting game bullets to say the least!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
298 Posts
A certain BTB moderator e-mailed me the good news and your post crimps it!  That is awesome.  When the time draws near, please post that the Mother of all Bullets will soon be available in BIG and BOLD letters - I'll place an order right quick like.  

·
Registered
572 Posts
YaaaaaaY!

Not that I would push the Bisquero any ;*)

I think those will be "good medicine" for some of the mid range varmints that roam the north woods.

I look foreward to the unvealing of some heavy hitters for the Long Colt.

Blessings All,

Scotty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts