Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,

Just took a look at your 325 gr FN bullet for sabots. That's a pretty interesting bullet. How do you know what diameter is needed if it's in a sabot? Is this critical?

That thing has to be fantastic on game!

Regards

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Most sabots are engineered around the .430" diameter in .44 caliber sabots... it's the diameter of the Hornady XTP's, and I've found that the ML bullet we offer shoots best out of most guns at .430"... not so much because of a difference in shooting, but in loading!  An oversize bullet makes those sabots most disagreeable when loading!   However, if you have a gun with a slightly oversize bore, then the .001-.002" extra bullet diameter can cure a multitude of woes in the accuracy department when shooting saboted bullets.

Unless specified differently, I send them out at .430" diameter!

Yes, they are absolutely stunning on game... especially when you wind those hummers up to the 2000 fps mark!   The BC on this bullet is .236, and it puts that muzzle-loader pretty much on a par with my beloved .444 Marlin!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We were playing around with Hornady's Green sabots and various cast and jacketed bullets last season. The "green" is the best we found. Many others broke up or split. The recovered "greens" were perfect. We could load the .4315 LFN CG in the TC's using a ball start. They were tight but shot like a house afire. The Remington inline must have a slightly larger bore/groove because they loaded easy. It was the most accurate load in the Remington. All were loaded with 100 grs of Elephant Brand FFg and we .50 caliber. There was one deer killed.
Next year, those who shoot sabots, will be shooting Marshall ML bullet in Green Hornadys.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 700ML and your right it's is slightly overbore. I got mine when they 1st came out and shot all kind's of bullet's throught it before I slugged the barrel to find out why it never shot as I thought it should. James gave my some bullet's to try in it and it still never did shoot near as well as the other rifle's I have. I finally settled on the hornady sabot's and a 240gr xtp, it was the most accurate in the remmington.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts