Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to checking out the cast bullet offerings by Beartooth and was impressed by the selection. A couple of the .41 cal bullets look like they'd work just dandy in my Model '86 in .40-82 WCF as it has a .408" bore with rather shallow rifling And the OEM type bullet mould available from RCBS gives bullets that are .406" as per the original specs. I would really love to try the 265gr. and 280gr. bullets but the "Welcome" page states that there is a 6 MONTH Backlog. Is this true? Please say it isn't so!

:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Longrider,

Yes it is true! But trust me, it will be worth the wait. Order what you want from Beartooth then wait patiently :) In the meantime you can hop over to http://www.castperformance.com and see if you can find something similar. They have a good selection of bullets and typically have stock on hand ready to be delivered. Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
They're good bullets, to be sure. But not everyone has money in their shooting budget that they can tie up for 6 months. I wish Marshall would commission an economy line using the same molds as his premium line. But I don't know much about his business and so it might not be a viable option.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Guys,

If you order your bullets with a credit card, they don't process the charge until it is ready to ship. Not sure what he does with personal checks, I would imagine that he sits on them as well. As best I recall, he didn't cash the last check I sent till the bullets went out, but I've gone to ordering on-line with a credit card since then. Give him a shout if you have any questions..... yes they are worth the wait.

There are other people making pretty good bullets too but you won't find the sizing options that Beartooth has, nor the variety.

·
Banned
556 Posts
The beartooth bullets are worth the wait and this website they sponsor is the best for the use of cast bullets, generally having the fewest cranks.

I wonder at Marshall's and Alex's tolerance for website guests to use their terrific site to recommend other vendors.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've deleted my recommendation for other than BTBs and apologize to the Stantons only. The man asked a legitimate question and I gave what I believe to be a legitimate response... crank or not. I think I've made enough purchases from BTB to be justified in speaking my mind here. I can't speak for anyone else.

The point is a simple one, if you want to buy some premium bullets that you're going to use for hunting only (or some other special purpose), place your order early and you'll be happy with what you get. If you want to shoot decent bullets on a regular basis then you'll likely have to shop elsewhere most of the time, unless money is no object (or you cast your own).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I don't think that Marshall cares if people talk about other bullets on this site, whether cast or jacketed. He never said this directly (that I can recall) but has provided load suggestions for other brands of cast bullets, and occasionally directs people to other sources when he can't meet their needs.

I suspect he is pretty confident in his product and won't suffer much by comparison.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I received my order for .378GC bullets to be used in my '86 38-56 in a little less than 60 days. Havn't had a chance to make 'em of any use, yet. Longrider, if you've not already done so, slug the bore of your 40-82. Early '86s have shallower rifling than later ones do. The use of jacketed bullets was harder on these bores, often causing them to wear rapidly. Leading can also be a factor. Knowing the bore diameter tells me that you have probably checked it out.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Whooops! I have to be more careful.

Bart, my message isn't directed at you at all and I would not ask you to retract anything. I apologize for it seeming so. Your recommendation is a good one.

I've recommended or discussed Hawk's jacketed and Partitions, etc, to others here myself, believing that jacketed are not direct competitors to BTB. Marshall has a great niche in shooting covered very well, supported by this informative website (complete with non-crank participants -- present company included).

Having shot the shaggy, tire weights from other companies, BTB product stands on it's own goodness, as MikeG says -- despite the wait and substantial competition in the market.

I guess the issue, which I believe is valid, is that we sit chatting around the stove in someone's shop drinking their coffee. We know this site isn't cheap or easy for the shopkeeps to provide. My comment comes out of an appreciation for that.

It is also a reaction to an accumulation of postings over time, so I'm sorry if it seems directed.

- Charlie

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry for sounding so defensive...don't know exactly what got into me. Guess I'm getting old and cynical. When I hear someone talking about something like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread I have to say something. There are very few things in this world that fit that description, including sliced bread. Like I said before, if you have the time (and money) to invest in BTBs you can't go wrong. If you want bullets to shoot today then there are other products that you can come by on a more timely basis.

Nothing against The Stantons but a lot of potential business is being turned away by the long lead times, not to mention customer loyalties that have been eroded.

Sorry for having thrown so much water on the fire. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Buy 'em if you can...and pass the coffee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts