Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am very interested in the development of these cartridges, that served as the catalyst for my beginning efforts on some cartridge designs of my own. Even more interested since my own efforts are stalled waiting for the right actions to become available.

Since the .375 for levers thread turned into an arguement and was locked, I am simply starting this thread as a place to discuss (and cheer on) the progress on the BTB cartridges' development.

Fireplug

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
I think that Marshall is trying to squeeze that work in while casting truckloads of bullets.

I too am thinking it will be a neat idea, that and Mr. Gates' .44 wildcat. Decisions, decisions......

If Marshall gets a reamer cut, I may have to take the plunge.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mike,

You know, I'd be willing to anti up $20 - $25 toward the cost of a custom reamer for the option of having a barrel chambered for one of Marshall's Beartooth cartridges. Do you think we could get a few more of the guys to chip in???

Lobo in West Virginia

·
36,232 Posts
Probably. Good idea. I think that Marshall is moose-hunting right now, so he might not respond right away.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Friends All....I am very pleased to see the upturn in interest on the Beartooth Wildcats........Remember these two cartridges were not designed to compete with any existing cartridges. They were designed around Marshall's great hard cast and the Marlin action. There was certain requirements that had to be meet. I tried to cover this in anothe post. The other cartridge I designed is the .44 Mag Max (called by some The Mad Max!) It is an intermediate design between the .44 Mag and .444 Marlin. It's a rather nice balanced design for 38 grs of IMR4227/IMR4198, with maybe some application for RE7 with heavy bullets. Any action set up for the overall cartridge length and rim of the .30-30 Win/.44 Mag/.444 Marlin will work. Another interesting setup is rechambering a .44 Mag NEF single shot. I had the reamer made at JCS in Coos Bay. They have all the spec drawings and reamers are made from existing .444 Marlin reamers. It uses a .444 Marlin case cut back to 1.80". After cutting the .444 Marlin case back to 1.80, the case is fireformed in the .44 Mag Max chamber, a .44 inside neck reamer is run in to the depth of the reamer, then loaded in .444 Marlin dies.
As we get the three rifles finished, a Marlin 336 with a .44 Mag barrel, a Rem. 788 with a Douglas XX (1 in 20 twist) and a NEF .44 Mag rechambered....I will pass on or tests to those interested.
Best Regards, James

·
36,232 Posts
Don't lose the reamer! I'll be keeping an eye out for a Marlin .30-30.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All 416 Beartooth fans:

Anyone have a guess as to how much it would cost for this project? Lets see rough reamer, finish reamer, form& trim dies, full length & seating dies, bullet moulds& sizers, The list keeps getting longer! Help!

Zooly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts