Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to go back to BTB for my 44 fodder. It's a toss up between the 280g WFN and the 300g WFN, both gas checked. Does anyone here have any particular favorites between the two and if so why? Any reason one would be a better choice than the other in a 2 1/2" barrelled Ruger Alaskan?
Mike

·
Registered
935 Posts
The 280 WFN and the 300 WFN are almost identical save but the obvious weight difference so you can't go especially right or wrong with one over the other. All things being equal the 280 can be driven a bit faster with a bit less muzzle rise. At the same time the 300 gr with tend to penetrate a bit further, recoil more and give more muzzle rize. But the differences are small. You did not say if you are looking for light, medium or heavy loads.

In any case though, you have to start somwhere. I think most experienced guys on this forum would start with the 280gr WFNGC and evaluate from there. I would too. You did not specify the application so I am guessing toward a good field general carry load. H-110 type powder is good for full loads. AA9 and 2400 are very good for loads just under that and powders like Unique and Blue Dot are good for the mid range stuff. Hope this helps.

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts