Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Beartooth's new 425 gr. bullet in a model 1886.  I read in the introduction of the new bullet it was designed with Marlin's rifle in mind.  I have tried Cast Performance's 440 gr. bullet but had difficulty in chambering it in my 1886 carbine.  I wonder if I would have a chambering problem with the new 425 gr. bullet?  Thanks for your input.  Rob                      May God smile on you!

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for the question.  You shouldn't have any problems with the .460-425g WLNGC bullet in that '86!  It will feed flawlessly and the nose profile is designed expressly for the short throats of these rifles and the Marlin 1895 series of 45-70's.

The experience you're having with the other bullets you mention is probably as a dierect result of the strong front driving band ahead of the crimp groove, and the full groove diameter of the bullet's nose at that point.  The short throat of your Browning '86 won't digest that bullet when crimped to the crimp groove on standard length brass without considerable reefing on the lever, thus engraving the bullet into the lands.

This 425 grain offering we've introduced circumvents these short-throat issues by virtue of the long ogive on the nose.

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes the throat can be lengthened, but the smith best not let the diameter get away from him. Aproper diameter throat is conducive to good accuracy. The Smith should have the bullets you are going to use set up as dummy cartridges to get the desired results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm using the new 425 WLN in my Marlin Guide Gun, along side the 405 LFN's. Cow season is over, and I never got a shot opportunity, so I shot a juniper tree. The 405 LFN blasted right through the live 9 inch tree, leaving a huge exit hole (2-3"). The 425 WLN went only about half way through the same tree. However, I couldn't find the bullet, only the end of it's path. I think it turned and went out the same hole as the previous 405. The entry holes were only about 2 inches apart. The tree, being cracked thoroughly already, may have allowed the 2nd bullet (425) to find its way through.

We also shot a 4-5 inch Mountain mahogany with the 425 WLN. It only penetrated about 1.5 inches (measured to the bullet base from entry). If that doesn't impress you, you don't know how HARD Mountain Mahogany is!

JT

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have the new Ballisti-cast 425gr Hammerhead mould. It did not let the lever close on my Marlin 45-70 1895 LTDV. I used a throater from Brownell's to lenghten the throat. It was easy if you go slow, it has a pilot machined on the end so it is self aligning.

The result is very accurate at 1800 fps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sure do wish there were a picture of this bullet. Does anyone who's got the bullets also got a digital camera that they could provide one with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts