Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI New England Custom Guns has a new peep sight that fits the existing ring dovetails in your ruger and looks great doing it! Check their website under whats new and only &#3680.   KevinNY

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kevin,

Have you shot using these sights yet? I've seen them advertisied but haven't seen any in person yet. They look like just the ticket for my #1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could someone post their web site. I have a lever Ruger and I hated the sights so much I put a scope on it. By the way If anyone has any tested loads for this gun, I sure would like to see what it will do.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have a set of these on my No.1 .45-70.  NECG also makes replacement front sights for the Ruger of different heights so if you run into a problem where you don't have enough elevation, you can replace the front with a taller, or shorter bead.  I load my .45-70 pretty stout and I had to replace front bead also.  I think the fronts are about &#3615 but well worth it.  One note though, I do wish NECG made the peep to take a standard Redfiedl/Willams apertures.  It comes with two apertures but if you have ever used Williams twilight aperture you will never want to use any other.  Too bad.  It is an excellent sight otherwise.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Big Bore. I'll have to save some pennies to outfit my #1 in 416 Rigby. I'll do the front sight as well, I can't stand the factory bead sight.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
MT;
  Before you buy the front sight, make sure the height of the Ruger factory sight is going to work with the peep rear.  That way you can adjust the front sight height so that the rear sight will be in the middle of it's adjustment range.  The formula for determining the difference in height of front sight you will need is as follows, just in case you don't already have it.  Set your rear peep to it's midrange position.  Shoot a group at 25, 50 or 100 yards, but make sure your range is exact.  Measure the distance from the center of your aiming point to the center of the group.  Now, determine the exact distance from the rear face of the peep to the rear face of the front sight bead.  Now, plug these figures into this formula.

IM= impact movement
D= distance
SM= sight movement
SR= sight radius
K= constant for D, 36 for yards, 12 for feet, and 39.4 for meters.

IM= D x K x SM

or rearranged for sight movement

SM = IM x SR
    _______
    D  x  K

Lets say the Ruger factory sight gives you an impact of 6 inches high at 50 yards, and your sight radius is 22.25 inches

SM= 6 x 22.25
   _________
   50 x  36

You will need a front sight that is .074" TALLER than the Ruger factory bead.  If the Ruger bead measures from the bottom of the bead base to the top of the bead, say .312", then you can order the NECG front sight that is closest to a  height of .386"  NECG makes sights in heights of .330, .350, .375, .415, and .435 for &#3616 each.  They also make a red fiber optic sight of the same heights for &#3624 each.  The white bead sights have a very large white bead, around .125" I think, very fast, but covers a lot of the target at long range.

Hope I haven't bored you to tears.  Good luck.  You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Big Bore,

Thanks for the advanced front site 202. This is good information for anybody on the forum. I appreciate your feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts