Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
know little about it,, but for some reason my savage 110 that i use to be able to actually shoot one ragged hole at the hundred with is now shooting 3 moa..
i can t figure it.. bores clean ,scope has been sent to bushnell an sent back with a clean bill of health..
mike at gods country says the bores in excellent condition..he said it might need bedding..
can this be done with liquid nails.. its what i got here,an little funds available[due to illness in family] to fix a gun that just frustrates me now ,,as i have shaky hands anyway.. its the cheapy from wal mart,but was one more accurate rifle ,with 165 fusion..
how much you guys pay to have one bedded...slim
ps something happened to it ,,but im clueless as to what it might be..

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Slim, if everything else checks out okay then I would say you're right about the bedding. I have glass bed several of my rifles myself and it really not all that hard. Just BESURE you apply the release agent to all metel parts that will come into contact with the bedding compound. I use Acra-Gel myself and you should find it at your local gun shop. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. One other thing you could do is see if your barrel is floating and if not the take a wooden dowel, of proper diameter, wrap it with a piece of coarse sandpaper and remove just enough to where you can slide a dollar bill under the barrel from the action to the end of the stock. You might try this first before you attempt glassbedding. Now if your rifle is still not shooting accurately the remove the barreled action fom the stock and place a couple of plastic tape strips (one on top of the other widthways near the end of your stock about 4" replace the barreled action and see how it shoots.

·
Registered
610 Posts
can this be done with liquid nails.. its what i got here,an little funds available[due to illness in family] to fix a gun that just frustrates me now ,,as i have shaky hands anyway..
how much you guys pay to have one bedded...slim
ps something happened to it ,,but i'm clueless as to what it might be..
First thing, if you have checked that everything is tight, double check, and loc-tite your bases. If your barrel checked out and your scope checked out that might leave the bedding. Make sure your trigger guard screws are tight too.

If everything checks out, it never hurts to bed your action regardless of how it's shooting. Liquid Nails?.... most likely not your best choice. You may be able to make it work, but I have no idea what you would use for a release agent, and I don't know how much it shrinks. Shrinkage, if it is too much it will defeat the purpose of bedding and will be worthless.

Your best bet might be to buy some acra-glass, acra-gel, Marine-Tex, or Devcon 10110 plastic steel putty, which is the best in my opinion and is what I use. These will cost anywhere from $20-$40 for the Devcon. There is a quite a bit of info online as to how to bed a rifle, and on youtube. If you were to have someone do it for you it would most likely cost $50-$100, for a bed and barrel float.

You can also use fiberglass resin and fiberglass chop, which is really fine fiberglass strands. This method usually produces quite good results and is the best quality job for the least amount of money. I'm not sure where you get the "Chop" but you can get the resin basically anywhere. Don't use the matte or cloth fiberglass, that stuff is too big. When your mix is ready it should look like jelly, then bed as usual. The chop can ether look like a powder type stuff, and some of it looks like pink fiberglass insulation but it's not. I have only used the later.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well davers ive tried what was in your last paragraph.. we got too much ice out right now for me to chance going out an getting my truck stranded.. i got to be here 99% of the time..due to sickness in the family.. thanks fellas ..slim
ps i drive on slippery rds pretty well but you never know how well the driver doing 55 on a 45 mph rd can drive..everybodies a pro driver until it starts going sideways..:rolleyes:
i ll check the gun when the weathers better ..thanks to all.. slim

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
If it's the low end rifle, is it old enough to have a wood stock? If not, if it's a thermoplastic stock, few glues will stick to it. Liquid Nails is a bad idea because it dries by evaporation, not chemical reaction, like an epoxy, and will shrink. Common slow set epoxies, like JB Weld can all do surprisingly well, but won't stick to thermoplastic, either. About the only think I know of that is used for bedding thermoplastic is the two-part rubbers, either silicone or polyurethane based (Devcon 80, for example). The thermoplastic stock on my A-bolt is bedded with that.

That said, a change from one-holer to 3 moa is awful big jump to be blaming on bedding. It's not impossible, but would likely require interference by some crud that is stopping the action from settling in, or stock warping that's brought it into contact with the barrel on one side (which Davers suggestion addressed). I would be looking for the barrel nut to be loose enough to allow the recoil lug to shift position, or for a cracked bolt head pin. Any kind of dent or distortion in the muzzle crown could do it.

I would call Savage customer service and ask them for suggestions for what else to look for? You could also return the rifle to them to fix, but shipping isn't free.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
did you check the crown too? did it go from tack driver to 3moa litteraly over night? if so i would say somewhere there is damage somewhere. check for cracks in the stock? take the action out and look for a hairline crack in the action area, a pillar stud come loose, something. but if this has been a gradule thing then yea maybe it is just the stock, unless you got your powders mixed up.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
sorry, didn't see nick mention the crown, didn't mean to repeat what others had allready pointed out.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Good grief no don't use Liquid Nails. I can't think of anything that would make a worse mess.

If you want to bed a rifle, get some Devcon 2-ton epoxy from the hardware store. Something like $4-$5 for a package. Just don't use the quick-setting stuff. Paste wax for wood floors makes a great release agent for epoxy.

I really doubt this is a bedding issue though. Suspect your scope went bad, or the mounts are loose.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Slim, I have an issue with my .444 Marlin that I think I have traced down to one of the rings trying to jump out of the cross-slot (weaver-style). The slot was battered pretty good and I actually put the base in the mill and cleaned it up a bit with a 1/8" end mill. We'll see if it's cured.

Anyway, just a thought.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep.. im trying a quick fix.. if that don t bring it back.. i ll ask my gunsmith to look at it.... funds for guns ,,just not available now though..it ll give me something to look forward to..it will be right before im through,though.. its just too accurate a gun to not fix whatevers wrong .. im careful with the muzzle but the crown may be my next place to look...thanks slim
ps yes it came on all of a sudden..

·
Registered
263 Posts
You said funds might be tight. There is a process called wafer bedding. You will need two pieces of bicycle innertube or gasket material about the same thickness. (circles about a quarter inch diameter) Remove the stock and glue a rubber wafer to each side of the barrel channel around an inch from the forward end and half wat between the bottom and the top. This will reduce the barrel contact to these two points and also act like shock absorbers.

It is quick, easy and cheap. If it does not cure the problem it is reversible. I have gotten to the point that I do it to a NEF or Rossi single shot before even loading it. I have never encountered on that it did not improve.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well i got the groups back.. was just getting ready to adjust the sight in ,when my sweet wife appeared in the doorway.. she s got so she comes looking for me now ,,when i step out the house..
she s ill so i don t even let a rnd be in anything but my ccw anymore.. i shoot from inside my well house to send the noise out the door an dn into the woods.. then all of a sudden she appears in the door way..scary..i guess im going to have to put some sort of lock on the exit doors to prevent her from wondering..something i hate to do to her .. but i can t take a chance on her wondering off..
on the fix.. believe it or not it looks like a 4 x folded over lens cloth between barrel an fore stock may have solved the problem temporaryly..i won t get a chance to confirm the fix ,,,until i get those locks on the doors.. she like to have given me a heart attack ,,as its the first time shes ever come outside looking for me, when i told her i was going to take a shot or two....in time i guess.thanks for all the advice..:) slim
ps the savage comes free floated out the box,,so ample room for the lens cloth spacer or what ever.
next time i ll use hundred dollar bills,mabe.. but thats in another life..at least then i could answer ,,oh about 1500.00 bucks ..if anyone ask what my savage 06 cost..
in the past when they looked at my wal mart special an rolled thier eyes. i really looked forward to shootin beside them an watching thier reaction ,when my cheapy outshot thier 2000 dollar gun an scope.. grin

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thanks horseman .. gonna see if i can t find an old inner tube here on the place today.. it sounds like a pretty good idea. slim
ps i ll just have to watch the barrel heat.. i don t shoot rnds fast anyway so that won t be a problem..thanks..
edit well i sliped out just long enough to take one shot..i believe i got my rifle back.. thanks everybody..
no i dindn t shoot out the well house ..just off the back porch,,so i could see her if she came out..

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just finished working up an old 110 for a friend. I noticed that the wooden stock is relieved from the action ring to a spot about an inch from the end of the forearm. That location has a small platform that is intended to apply slight pressure to the barrel which helps some rifles. The area from the front ring to that "pillar" is relieved to prevent the forearm and barrel from touching which would cause a problem. This particular weapon had an issue with the rear action screw being loose causing the barrelled action to "rock" on the forward action screw slightly. Just enough to cause inconsistent performance.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i did have to tighten that screw..im twixt an between on using
something on the threads to keep them tight.. the only thing i got here [where ever] holds til it thunders.. not sure i want to use it..but shes back where i need it.. my days of hitting the same hole are over..unless i took some awful strong anti hand shake medicine.. im a tetotaler an don t like to drug my self dn.. heck i never needed to hit the same hole anyway. but it was nice,while it lasted..shes a good hunting rifle again..if i ever get to hunt again..
thats a two edged sword.. id much rather have my sweet with me an finish doing this job the lords given me to do..it ll be my crowning achievement in life..slim:)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you youg fellas enjoy your steady hands..its a frustrating thing ,,sometimes when i shoot an accurate rifle inaccurately..
its something i know you fellas know,, how much satisfaction
can be derived from..but its life..so enjoy it while you can..your times coming ,probably. slim:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts