Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Inactive account
7,768 Posts
Hi, Mike:
As MikeG said, although I know little about skeet. It wasn't shot around here in my college days, and I'm lucky if I get to the big city trap club once every other year now.

Yes, practice the straight aways with the manual trap, or with an automatic locked on center. Once she can go 5 straight, move to station 2 or 4 and learn the shallow angles. If she's right-handed, go to 4 first, as her left eye isn't blocked by the gun, and she'll pick up the bird quicker.

A 20 gauge doesn't give up much to a 12, but a .410 is a different story. I figure a 20 gauge does a better job of varmint control at 40 yards than a .410 does at 20. We use a Berretta 301 20 gauge for the kids. It's a light gun and has low recoil. It's disadvantages are a high comb that's too high for even some of the juniors and women, a tricky action, and it won't cycle Winchester AAs. Federal targets work, as do hunting loads and a couple of low recoil handloads.

Actually a light 12 gauge autoloader and the new low recoil loads might suit her as well as a 20 gauge. Stock fit is still a most important factor, for recoil as well as hitability. If the stock's a bit long, you could try taking the butt plate off and using the PAST pad. That will give the same length of pull and better recoil absorption if the buttplate is one of those thick plastic ones.

One thing I learned on my occasional trips to the trap club is that those old boys shoot fast, between shooters, as well as at the birds. Since I'm rusty, I'm not as ready for my next bird as I should be. So if she or you have to shoot in a squad, get in a full 5 shooter squad, not a 3 or 4 shooter squad. Gives you more time to think about the last shot and prepare for the next.

Bye
Jack

·
Inactive account
7,768 Posts
Hi, Mike:
As MikeG said, again. Looks like Remington is the only one of the big 3 that makes a low recoil 20, although a velocity of 1135 fps rates as a 2 1/8 Dram Equivalent load or a smidgin more. A 2 1/2 Dr.Eq. load goes 1200 fps and C-I-L had a 2 1/4 Dr.Eq. load 30 years ago.
http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/sts_lowrecoil_20ga.htm

Anyhow, there's lots of light recipes in the reloading manuals.

That NEF Youth gun might fit her as is, with it's 12 1/2" length of pull, although I take it that she's a bit on the small size. Some of the girls her age around here have already hit the 6' mark. Watch her posture. That's a major problem for some small shooters.

I'm concerned about that 5 - 5 1/2 lb. advertised weight. Recoil will be up there. Some weight in the buttstock will help if it doesn't throw the gun out of balance. If it moves the balance point back past the front of the trigger guard, forget it. The grip looks small enough, unlike some youth models. If it's too big, a rasp and Tru-Oil is in order.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=1#3

Bye
Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts