Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here and I recently got a hold of a Belgian made FN A5 receiver. I cannot find any information regarding the serial number. It's a 12ga and the only markings on it are the FN stamp and "POL" under it where a Browning would have its serial number. On the side of the receiver is an import stamp that simply says "F.N. BELGIUM B.T.C. S.E.M. CA. 1907". If anyone could help me with this or give me any sort of idea on trying to date this receiver I'd be very happy. Thanks! Cody.
16072166325465529520947152167146.jpg
16072167372972241976608342284845.jpg
1607216791786521089066810768374.jpg
16072168360082574790124131253085.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,082 Posts
That's an unfinished receiver before the fitting of the trigger group. Probably a contract job for somebody....or a lunch box job. Somebody was selling unfinished A-5 receivers on gunsinternational a year or so ago.

·
The Shadow
7,956 Posts
......ehhh..... More elaboration?

As you can see, the receiver is missing parts. The two I've played with helping friends, seem to indicate there is some amount of hand fitting of parts. So don't expect to buy parts and have them magically falll into place and function correctly.

Anyone with a decent set of stones (not a metaphor) can polish or shape things as needed. Or you can open your checkbook and get ready to pay someone shop rates to do it, once all the parts get bought.

As far as the serial and any supposed value, there's a sticky about that... An A5, is an A5. It's not much different than an AR. There's 5 actual manufacturers, but a ka-jillion "brands". And lots of interchangeable parts.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,082 Posts
That receiver is 'in process' but will never be completed. When a production line shuts down, many parts are left partially done and in various stages of completion.
FN was the only maker of the (true) A-5 until about 1974. MANY long recoil-actioned shotguns were made from the initial patent, including the Remington made "A-5" and the Remington Model 11, Franchi/Colt auto shotguns as well as Savage and several others. NO non FN parts will fit an FN A-5 except a few springs.
Your receiver is a very interesting paper weight or could be turned into an engravers showcase of different patterns, methods and techniques.
FN made A-5s in MANY different grades and variations and were sold all over the world. Browning USA was by far the largest customer for that particular model.

Older A-5s can be fitted with modern, two piece carriers but parts interchangeability is limited to FN to FN made guns. SOME Jap made parts can be fitted to older guns, though. Breech bolts and locking blocks are the weak links in the A-5 and those DO interchange between FN and later Japanese guns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts