Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the gun ejecting shells. Having one shell in the chamber and two in the magazine, the gun will not attempt to cycle. it will not cycle with one in the magazine. It will only eject a shell if there are not any shells in the magazine. Can anyone help me?

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
The Browning A-5 is a steel ballet that could take years to understand and I'm not sure I can ask all the pertinent questions without having the gun in front of me.

First the obvious things: Is the chamber very clean with NO plastic residue? Is the magazine tube spotlessly clean with just a light coat of light oil like ATF? Are the friction rings arranged as fits the ammo being used?

If all those are true and the ammo is factory, there is a can of worms bigger than you can imagine about to be opened, but you HAVE to have or make dummy shotgun shells to open it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
My bet is on friction ring assembly.

Reactions: nsb

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Sure! Take the best odds first thing! You have an 89% chance of winning that bet against all hundred and nine reasons it could be. You're riding the horse and everything else is a yapping wiener dog in comparison. ;)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Friction ring assembly and magazine cut-off.

You are in really good hands right now conawayz. Stay tuned! These guys do know of what they speak.

Iowaloha,
Cheezywan

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Simplest fix for this is to check that the barrel nut is tightened sufficiently. Push barrel into receiver a 1/4-1/2" and tighten nut as much as you can with your fingers (not pliers).

If that's not it, I'd look (as already said) to improper installation of the friction ring. Heavy Loads, ring is at the far end of spring by the barrel attachment "loop" . For light loads it goes to the receiver end of the spring.

Or as Cheezywan said, magazine cut-off was put in the "block" position.

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Careful about suggesting ring settings. The 3" 20 has five of them. Better to look at the picture inside the fore-arm and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am afraid the big can of worms has been opened. Friction rings are set correctly and gun is clean. I do not have a clue where to start in order fix the problem. It cycles a single shell perfectly. It's just when there is a shell in the magazine does in not work properly.

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
I assume you checked the magazine cut-off too.

The gun works on the long recoil system. When it fires the bolt AND barrel both go to the rear. The shell stops work off the barrel extension. Buy or make dummies and start cycling it AS IT SHOOTS (not by the bolt handle) to find out which shell stop is not operating. It has to be the primary, but you'll have to watch it operate to figure it out. (take the recoil spring out to make it easier) ONLY a fool uses live ammo!!

Reactions: conawayz

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, let's complicate things a bit. What loads are you attempting to shoot in the gun? The magnum Browning was never intended to shoot trap loads or as some refer to such as "low brass" which means nothing. It functions properly only with 3" magnum loads, or 2 3/4" heavy loads, sometimes referred to as "short magnums". This info straight from Browning service rep. GW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts