Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to load 30-06 and it is not working right. brass is sized and deprimed than polished than trimmed and chamfered .The problem is when the bullet starts into the brass the shoulder pushes down before the bullet slids into the brass.what do I do to fix it?
markcl

·
Registered
31 Posts
Markcl
  Are you using an M-die or any thing to open the mouth of your case before trying to put a bullet in the case? You usually have to do this.

tbc

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
That's not good.  What is the inside diameter of the case neck, after it has been resized/expanded?

Usually a .30 cal expander ball is about 0.306" and this leaves the inside of the case mouth at about 0.304".  With a little chamfer on the case mouth, this normall works OK for 0.308" bullets, even flat base (which have a slight radius at the base anyway).  Boattails are hardly ever a problem.

What bullets are you trying to seat.... did you check to ensure that they are in fact .308, and not something else that got mismarked?  If you are using cast bullets that are sized 0.309"-0.310" then you will probably need to open the case mouth a little more with an M die or something, per Caster's remarks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Try switching die sets.  I had this exact same thing happen with my 416 Rigby with my first set, and last, of Hornady dies.  The problem was found to be the die did not support the side of the case as the bullet was being seated.  I was already using Lyman dies wih no problems but I bought the Hornady dies as I liked the allignment feature of the seat die, but not at the expense of not being able to chamber the rounds.  Went back to the Lyman seat dies and the problem went away never to return.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts