Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that, STRICTLY speaking, this isn't a Wildcat round, but it may as well be, since I would (will) end up forming my own brass, and having to "rebarrel" a firearm.
I'd like to find the means to rechamber a Cz52 or a TT-33 pistol from 7.62x25 to its larger-bore brother, the 9x25mm Mauser. I'm not sure what would be required, beyond a custom barrel. Perhaps different recoil and mainsprings?
I could also see one of the semi-auto only PPSH reproductions being pretty fun in the larger caliber. I suspect, however, that finding a pistol barrel chambered for 9x25 Mauser, or someone willing to make one, might be easier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For the T-33 all you would need is a barrel, a reamer, and a gunsmith. By the way, I'd use a 'Tokagypt' the latest production of the Tokarev T 33, manufactured in Hungary in the '50s. They are available as well as 9mm barrels, they were often sold with a 7.62x25 bbl and a 9mm bbl.
Then you are going to need dies, maybe CH4D could help, try an email. Load data is a different kettle of chum.
Last comment, why? Good luck.
:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a weird one. First, the 9mm Mauser would be pretty hard on a CZ52, so I'd rule that one out right away. The Tok would work, and as Unkl Chuck said, would just require re-chambering.

But there are many 9mm's that can give you similar or better ballistics. For standard loadings the 9x25 was pretty close to modern .38 Super. There were some specialty rounds that were rather hot, but those could be easily duplicated with a 9x23 in a 1911, and it will do so without destroying the base firearm.

If you try to achieve .357 magnum velocities in a Tokarev, you're going to have pieces of Tokarev in about 1,000 rounds. The side is just way to light for something that hot.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
That's a weird one. First, the 9mm Mauser would be pretty hard on a CZ52, so I'd rule that one out right away. The Tok would work, and as Unkl Chuck said, would just require re-chambering.

But there are many 9mm's that can give you similar or better ballistics. For standard loadings the 9x25 was pretty close to modern .38 Super. There were some specialty rounds that were rather hot, but those could be easily duplicated with a 9x23 in a 1911, and it will do so without destroying the base firearm.

If you try to achieve .357 magnum velocities in a Tokarev, you're going to have pieces of Tokarev in about 1,000 rounds. The side is just way to light for something that hot.
My friend was handed down a Steyr M 1912 in 9 x 23. Just before Covid, Brownell’s listed 9 x 23 and 9 mm Win mag, (9 x 23), which is dimensionally the same, but with their correct head stamps. Sort of like shooting 38 acp in a Colt 38 Super M 1911. But getting the detachable mag’s lips to feed it would be a P I T A! The longer Steyr 9 mm has the same power level as the 9 x 19 Luger, but the convertible 9mm Luger barrels for the Steyr’s have become hard to find, even before the Biden scares??

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
170 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in agreement with DarkLord, if you really want to proceed with this project, a 1911 is probably the best platform for this. Additionally, I've been looking in my old manuals and haven't found any load data or even mention of this cartridge. Did find mention of it in a book on Luger.
The wiki metrotps references is as much data as I have seen lately.
:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
9mm Mauser died on the vine after they couldn't get anyone much interested in it. WDM Bell famously used it in Africa for small game and self defense.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 9mm Mauser, as used in the M1896 Mauser "Broomhandles" so chambered, was probably ahead of its time. The 1911 WOULD be a better platform for the experiment, but it can already be had in 9x23 Winchester, so why bother?
My original thought was to find a 9x19mm barrel for a CZ-52, ream it, and start a work-up using .38 Auto (NOT Super Auto) data. Reconsidering the construction of the CZ-52, however, the advice about using a TT-33 is sound, indeed.
Oh, well, it was just a thought. The notion of a cartridge developing 1350 f/s with a 125 gr. projectile in the Cz52 or a TT-33 didn't seem like a BAD idea...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Std. 9 x23 mm is loaded for the 1912 Steyr. A Plus P version is the 9 mm Winchester Magnum. The Steyr cartridge only equals the 9mm Luger. Some M 1912’s were rebarreled to 9 mm Luger by the Nazis for police units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts