Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Beretta 92 FS stock pistol that shoots well at 10 yards, with nice tight groups 1 1/2, but at 50 feet or beyond it is 4+ type groups. I spoke to a former Army gunsmith who has done work for me in the past on other weapons and he said that's why the Army Marksmanship Training Unit puts bushings on the Berettas. He said its because the lockup isn't consistent. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Never have this problem with my 1911 frames or anyother pistol.
 

·
Nawth East Moderatah
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
I've been shootin a 92 for about 5 years now. I bought mine as a PD trade in, came with 3 dot Trijicons. I can consistantly hit about 2" at 25 with the gun using Nato spec surplus ammo. The sights on the 92 are "lacking" as far as a target set...add to that the "lack of adjustments..." :(
The 92 is a tough gun to master, as is the 1911...Practice! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
I would have to agree with Andy. I've been shooting the M9 for several years and find it very accurate out to 25 yards. I've also noticed some dramatic differences in the tightness of my shot grouping based on the ammo I use. I've never changed the bushings or made any changes to the weapon except for the sights.
 

·
Nawth East Moderatah
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
freese said:
I would have to agree with Andy. I've been shooting the M9 for several years and find it very accurate out to 25 yards. I've also noticed some dramatic differences in the tightness of my shot grouping based on the ammo I use. I've never changed the bushings or made any changes to the weapon except for the sights.

The sights on my 92fs are fixed and the front sight is integral with the slide. The rear can be changed, but the front I'm stuck with, short of an expensive trip to the gunsmiths.
Th 92 series and especially the M9 are specifically designed as duty or combat weapons, so I would not expect a "bullseye gun" accuracy from them. AFAIC, 2" at 25yards is dead.

I should also clarify that surplus ammo or federal's and Speer's best, my results are the same. The only thing that changes is the POI on the target.!

For alot of great info, go here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,124 Posts
If you're getting 2" at 25yds with a Beretta 92, you should hang on to it. That is better than most autos, or cheap 1911's will do. If you can hold it, that will provide for a easy center chest shot at 100yards, most defensive autos I've shot don't shoot that well.

Recshooter,
I'd have a hard time blaming the loss of accuracy on the gun. You're increasing the range from 50ft to 75ft, I don't see any practical way the accuracy is going to deteriorate that much. If you're used to shooting 1911's with nice triggers, you might be the cause. The fat grip of the 92, coupled with the heavier trigger and longer pull, can cause problems for 1911 shooters. I know, I used to shoot PT99 and could drill little tiny 15 shot groups at 25 & 50 ft, but when I ran the target out to 25 yards, I was doing well to cover the groups with my hand. I found, after some extensive practice, that it was me for sure, not the gun. The way I corrected the problem was pretty simple, I sent my 1911 Government 9mm in for some new sights and a new trigger group and beavertail safety. When I got the 1911 back I sold the PT99 to pay for the gunsmith's bill. I guess that's a 1911 guys version of correcting problems with a double action, it works for me, it may not for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
I have noticed a big difference in the POI with the Model92 using different brand or weight of ammo. Two of us shoot them with the Crimson Trace laser sights and the change in impact is very apparent at only 15 - 20 yards, I would estimate 3" change laterally between 115gr and 147 gr ammo. We don't really target shoot with these, they are our home security weapons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wish it were me. However, after more firing, reading the posted information and having adjustable sights put on the 92FS, I'm confident in saying its the pistol and while its okay for up to 10 yards, outside of that box its not something I'd want for serious shooting ((meaning self defense) you mean you don't know were your rounds go when you fire the pistol?) . I'll probably sell it as it is not something I want to fool with. Thanks for the help.

kciH said:
If you're getting 2" at 25yds with a Beretta 92, you should hang on to it. That is better than most autos, or cheap 1911's will do. If you can hold it, that will provide for a easy center chest shot at 100yards, most defensive autos I've shot don't shoot that well.

Recshooter,
I'd have a hard time blaming the loss of accuracy on the gun. You're increasing the range from 50ft to 75ft, I don't see any practical way the accuracy is going to deteriorate that much. If you're used to shooting 1911's with nice triggers, you might be the cause. The fat grip of the 92, coupled with the heavier trigger and longer pull, can cause problems for 1911 shooters. I know, I used to shoot PT99 and could drill little tiny 15 shot groups at 25 & 50 ft, but when I ran the target out to 25 yards, I was doing well to cover the groups with my hand. I found, after some extensive practice, that it was me for sure, not the gun. The way I corrected the problem was pretty simple, I sent my 1911 Government 9mm in for some new sights and a new trigger group and beavertail safety. When I got the 1911 back I sold the PT99 to pay for the gunsmith's bill. I guess that's a 1911 guys version of correcting problems with a double action, it works for me, it may not for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I had the same problem, not that bad though. I found a Millet sight that had a barrel lock on it for the Beretta 92. This has improved the accuracy tremendously.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abb1 said:
I had the same problem, not that bad though. I found a Millet sight that had a barrel lock on it for the Beretta 92. This has improved the accuracy tremendously.
The problem with my 92 is that the barrel doesn't lock up or return to the same position each time its fired. I find that for a defensive handgun up to 10-15 yards its okay. The groups over 10 yards really aren't as tight as any other handgun, pistol (1911 frame) or revolver I own. I love the form and fit but any function (accuracy shooting with any degree of seriousness) other than defensive over 10 yards I need another weapon. As far as reliability, the 92 is hands down the best. I see why the tolerances are so loose, it makes it highly reliable. This is the only Beretta I have and just wonder if the 96 and/or other Beretta pistols have the barrel lockup "problem" and exhibt similar large groups over 10 yards.

Thanks for the Millet sight advise. I'll look into it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top