Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my first rifle capable of "ELR" shooting. It is also coincidentally my first Bergara and my first "magnum" class rifle.

As the title suggests, it is the HMR in 300 PRC. I fitted it with a 30 moa base from EGW and vortex low rings, and topped it with a gen 1 vortex viper 6-24x50 ffp. It is also wearing my 10" form 1 can.

After wasting a few rounds trying to do a hillbilly bore sight at 175 yards on a 12" steel plate I zeroed it on paper with 3 shots at 50 yards, the next several shots smashed the steel plate like it got hit by the incredible hulk. I moved to 200 yards and proceeded to zero the scope. After some adjustments I was able to shoot a 5 shot group just under an inch at 200 yards with factory Hornady 225gr ELD match. I have some ELD-X to try out, but Haven't yet.

After firing a total of 27 rounds through the rifle, I am very happy with the performance so far. The recoil is surprisingly low. It's a slow push type recoil, much more gentle than the 300WM. Something I could easily shoot all day.

The only two marks against it I have so far are the bolt is not as smooth as it could be, and the weight. For something billed as a "Hunting Match Rifle", I sure hope you don't have to hike too far from your truck to hunt, this thing is heavy once it's fully equipped.

But overall I love it.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Well congrats then, always cool when someone is happy with a rifle.:)

I am curious though, You said this is your first rifle capable of ELR shooting.
So what are you calling ELR, and why do you think your other rifles weren't capable of it?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle!

It's a good feeling when a purchase lives up to expectations.

Also curious what you consider ELR?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have clarified my definition of "ELR", as it seems to be different for everyone. Personally, I would consider ELR as beginning somewhere around 1500yrds to 1760yrds, and going out from there. As far as considering it "capable", It would need to have a reasonable hit probability, meaning that the mechanics and ballistics are there to make it happen reliably, depending mainly on skill level, rather than luck. I mean yes, given enough ammo, I could probably eventually hit the target at a mile with a cheap AR and iron sights, but I don't think anyone would consider that an ELR capable rifle.

I would consider "Long range" as anything between 500yrds and 1500yrds-1760yrds

Full disclosure: this is just my uninformed opinion of range. I have no practical experience beyond 500yrds. I certainly don't have the necessary skills to use the rifle at those ranges yet. I only bought it because I always wanted a big rifle like this, and when the opportunity to get it came, I wasn't about to pass it up. Most of my practice will still be with my 6.5CM until my skills catch up.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Gotcha.

Again, I'm happy that you got what you wanted; that's a good deal.
In case it weighs on you, don't get too far into the tulips about staying supersonic. It can certainly simplify things some, but is mostly a over-blown story by gun writers.

Some bullets don't safely cross trans-sonic, but there are plenty that do; I've got a few threads where the lowly 308 can happily do a mile, if the shooter doesn't bungle the wind.;):D

Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gotcha.

Again, I'm happy that you got what you wanted; that's a good deal.
In case it weighs on you, don't get too far into the tulips about staying supersonic. It can certainly simplify things some, but is mostly a over-blown story by gun writers.

Some bullets don't safely cross trans-sonic, but there are plenty that do; I've got a few threads where the lowly 308 can happily do a mile, if the shooter doesn't bungle the wind.;):D

Cheers
I agree that going sub-sonic doesn't necessarily mean bad things will happen to your bullet. Just talked to a local LEO a couple days ago that shot at a 2'x2' aluminum plate 1 mile away with a 6.5 Creedmoor & hit it 3 times in a row. The Creed goes sub-sonic at about 1500 yards, but that didn't seem to affect his ability to hit at 1760 yards. That 3 shot group was 16", but the bullets lacked the energy to penetrate the 1/4" thick aluminum. They just kinda splattered on it. He was shooting factory Hornady 140 grain Black Match ammo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really have enough experience to form my own opinion on the effects of transonic flight on a bullets trajectory. I know the general consensus is that it's less than favorable, but what you say about different bullets makes sense to me.

Are there any particular bullets or bullet designs you have had better luck with? I hand load most of my own ammo, I only shoot factory ammo when I need brass, or for cheap plinking ammo in some of my guns.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think wind calls and ranging targets is going to be my biggest hurdle to overcome, but I'm positive I will get there with practice.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
I know the general consensus is that it's less than favorable, but what you say about different bullets makes sense to me.

Are there any particular bullets or bullet designs you have had better luck with? .
Modern Exterior Ballistics, by Dr. Robert McCoy. Will be worth a read if you want to know how very long it's been known how to safely make bullets cross.

Naturally given its creation story the 175 SMK, or their copy with the Custom Comps.
It's typically the really long, super sexy BC lines from boutique and Berger lines that can really struggle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Modern Exterior Ballistics, by Dr. Robert McCoy. Will be worth a read if you want to know how very long it's been known how to safely make bullets cross.

Naturally given its creation story the 175 SMK, or their copy with the Custom Comps.
It's typically the really long, super sexy BC lines from boutique and Berger lines that can really struggle.
I'm going to have to see if I can find a copy of that book online, or one that doesn't cost $65. I've got a few different types of .308 bullets on hand, that I can play around with, but published load data is still very limited at this point. Pretty much just Hornady. Not to mention, the preferred powders are all about as easy to find as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I did finally get around to actually measuring the group I shot with it. I think I said it was 5 shot, but it was only 4. That said, 4 shots at 200 yards measures 0.72" if I'm not mistaken that comes in right around 3/8 moa. That's factory loaded Hornady 225gr ELD March ammo.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
...but published load data is still very limited at this point. Pretty much just Hornady. .
Hodgdon and Western both have data online. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update! On steel on a 2/3 ipsc target at 1000yards today! Super happy with it. Today was my first time shooting any distance longer than 500 yards. This rifle made it seem easy! I can't describe how incredibly consistent it is. I also hit with my 6.5 several times, unfortunately it doesn't really do much to the plate at that range so it was hard to tell if I hit. The 300prc on the other hand rocks it like it got hit by a freight train. Next time I am trying for a mile!!!

Oh! And I also was able to bust a clay pigeon at 700 yards.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Very happy for you!!

Best of luck on the mile, report back with how it goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very happy for you!!

Best of luck on the mile, report back with how it goes.

Cheers
Thanks. My father went with me and was also able to use this rifle to hit at a 1k, a first for him as well. It was a very satisfying day. If anyone has a chance to check out the range at Thunder Valley Precision, in Kimbolton Ohio, I highly recommend it for a really nice place to shoot steel. Just check their website before you go, they only have open range on certain days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts