Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, need some experience here.
I am loading up some rounds for a 257 Roberts and 260 Rem. Both new rifles being re-barreled.
I want to try something different in bullets. I use all of my rifles solely for hunting and like the shots around 150-300 yds. I'm moving some new stands and feeders to set up one feeder at about 400 yds on a mesquite flat. Its a real hog/deer hot spot on our lease in North Texas.
Nosler and Hornady along with Sierra Pro-Hunters are bullets of choice but I want to load these Berger bullets: in .257, the 115 grain VLD with a BC of .466, and in the .264, the 130 grain VLD with a BC of .552. I'm putting a 1 in 8 twist on the 260 and wanted to see if that bullet would do well on deer size animals out to maybe 400 yds.
Anyway, nothing wrong with the bullets mentioned, just want to try something different.
Instead of pictures of targets shot, I'd like to post some pictures of the results of longer range kills with medium power hunting rifles ( .243 Win through 280 Rem). These Berger bullets seem to be accurate but results on animals is a different story.
Me and another forum guy are getting a mule deer lease in West Texas with long shots being the norm. Thought I might kill a few long range hogs and check the results before next season starts.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
tpv,
Have a friend that just had a 6.5-06 built, which he absolutely loves. He tried the Berger 130 VLD's just before the end of the year on a depredation doe tag. He did not like the performance; fragmented and didn't exit. This was a shot inside of 150 yards and the doe ran about 50 yds and died.

Lot of blood-shot. He's going back to Barnes TSX.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,121 Posts
I can't wait to see this stand. Gonna see if I can get a **** with my .35 Rem at 400 yards!!!! :D

I'll have to bring my .257 up and have a shoot-off. Hey, if it's really 400 yards, gallon jugs full of water are great targets. If you hit it and don't "splash" the jug, the bullet probably won't expand on critters either. I can see spending an afternoon testing bullets......

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
tpv,
Have a friend that just had a 6.5-06 built, which he absolutely loves. He tried the Berger 130 VLD's just before the end of the year on a depredation doe tag. He did not like the performance; fragmented and didn't exit. This was a shot inside of 150 yards and the doe ran about 50 yds and died.

Yep that's how they work........

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx guys, think I'll cross those off the list. That's enough of a bad recommendation for me-

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Use What U Want

I have hear'ed just the opposite from the Berger line of HUNTING bullets. Have a friend that used one on a big(Maine dressed whitetail of 235lbs)deer at 270yds. Was a complete pass thru and he could insert three fingers in the exit hole. The bullet was a 180gr,.284cal.

If the l--o--n--g VLD type of bullets shoot great in a particular weapon that's great. But.....for the "normal" hunting ranges,I would suggest that a VLD will not help much as far a trajectory. Compare a flat base and a VLD at 300yds all else being equal. What is the difference ?? (IMO the VLD's were not designed for the 300 or even the 400yd shots anyway. I say that they work best beyond 600yds.) Especially with a scope that has target turrets,which ANY long range shooter should have.

A bullet hitting an animal has way too many variables for a scientific type of comparison. I have seen several of the bullets with a somewhat bad rep,kill like thors hammer,if the shot placement is "correct" and the animal is standing "correctly". Two of the bullets that come to mind are the NosBalTip and the SMK's.

Finally would suggest.......use what works for you. Accuracy and lethally are the name of the game.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
37,121 Posts
Thx guys, think I'll cross those off the list. That's enough of a bad recommendation for me-
That's OK Tom. I'll just save those bullets for you when I cut them out of the hogs you shoot with them!!!!

:p :p :p

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 385 yards is the distance to the new feeder. Since we have a ready supply of live targets to test bullet performance (pigs) I thought I'd try them, but two negative recommendations from good sources is enough for me to stay away from them. I prefer flat base anyway, just want to get some actual long range (for me) experience on live animals at that range. In the .264, 129 Interbonds, 130grAccubonds, 125 Noslers, 120 gr Pro Hunters work best for me so I guess I'll stay with them.
Since its 15 degrees now, I doubt I'll be hunting soon anyway.
Thanks guys.
Mike, you can keep your used bullets, they work well in a slingshot.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Go on and try them, acctualy I would be interested in the performance at 385 yards

·
37,121 Posts
Out at that range I doubt they would fragment. Maybe I'll get ambitious and run some through my Weatherby one of these days for fun. It's not like we have a shortage of pigs or if there is a crisis if one gets away :rolleyes:

I'll start leaving bullets in them for Tom to find, just to switch things up :D

Was going to head to the lease this weekend but looking pretty chilly! May have to bring the buffalo hide to sleep under, and hunt out of the "Bronco Blind" with the heater running......

·
Beartooth Regular
593 Posts
Before you eliminate the VLDS in the .264 you might want to try the 140-grain hunting bullet. I wouldn't discount these bullets on one bad report. There isn't a bullet made that hasn't had one bad account attached to it. I've killed three deer and an antelope with my 6.5BRM and 140-grain Bergers. But, none of them were shot at a very long distance. This year's mule deer at 120 yards was probably the longest shot. The bullet went through both lungs and exited. The deer ran about 40 and was dead when I got to it. A few years ago I tested quite a few different .284 bullets in wet newsprint. I never got any fragmentation with the Bergers. In fact, the local gun shop has two of my recovered bullets on display on their bullet shelves. I'm not saying they won't fragment at high velocities (depending on where the animal has been hit) but that hasn't been my experience.
But, is the jury still out on Bergers? Probably.
When John Barsness and Richard Mann wrote their articles on Bergers as hunting bullets one of the stories appeared in the magazine I write for. When I told my editor I was testing Bergers he certainly wasn't convinced and still believed they were simply a match bullet.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,918 Posts
As the "other forum guy", I'll give my .02!

As you know, I'm a firm believer in the Hornady SST bullets in any caliber, especially the .264 or 6.5mm. Think this bullet in either the 129 gr or 140 gr would be ideal for this type of shooting. Remember, you need a fairly long throat/magazine well to seat the VLD's and still have case capacity. The stated 1:8 twist ought to do well with the 140 grain SST's, which have a .520 BC and a SD of .287 - that's pretty high.

·
Registered
311 Posts
tpv,

Thats the way that Berger VLD hunting bullets work! They penetrate and fragment. John Barsness reports that those VLD's stop deer size game faster with lung area hits than any other bullets.

He also reported that deer size game run the farthest when hit with Barnes X type bullets.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Thats the way that Berger VLD hunting bullets work! They penetrate and fragment.
I guess the bullet did as it was designed to do then. We all have our own ideas of ideal bullet performance. I personally like two holes and minimal meat damage around those holes. Explosive performance in the heart/lung area is very lethal and some bullets do that very well, and seems the VLD is one of them.

I didn't mean to throw mud on the VLD; each bullet has it's design parameters. I just prefer a more stout bullet that will allow me more 'error' in my shot placement if I happen to hit a shoulder, which is where my friend hit his deer. I too would like to hear of results on pigs though.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Cut one in half and you'll see just how thin that jacket is, even on the "hunting" bullets, also, the small opening makes them function like a FMJ. They will tumble and explode, but they are not made to expand like typical hunting bullets from Nosler, Hornady, Speer, and Sierra.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I use 175grVLD over 45gr of BL-C2 Lapua brass and CCI 250 primers in a 308 Howa Varmiter and over 50gr in Rem 30-06.I have taken 12 deer between 25-400yards.With the exception of 2 all were DRT with high shoulder shots.The other 2 were recovered ,one approx went 30 yards shot through the heart and the other approx went 75yards,all down hill shot behind the shoulders.I will never personally shoot another type of projectile.I have found in my guns and friends that the VLD doesn't like max or near max loads.Accuracy however is amazing.Easily moa,1" 300yard groups with my 308,and a friend has a 7mag that shoots half that.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
1 inch groups at 300 yards is .318 MOA

·
Banned
48 Posts
Yes jwp475 I know but what I was saying is of the firearms I have seen shoot these VLDs the worst will shoot 3''@300.Browning,Remington,Howa,Winchesters,Sako,Tikka and Mossberg.In calibers from 243win-300mag.All have been able to shoot descent.Maybe we are lucky,maybe we haven't shot enough deer to see yet,I don't know but the VLDs have worked. I primarily hunt with a handgun,but when I do use a long gun or take a kid to the timber it's stoked with VLDs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have used bullets from most every major mfg., I got the best performance on game with the GS Custom bullets out of South Africa. They are a bit pricey but, I don't mind the extra as they perform circles around all others that I've tried. The great B.C. and extra velocity is a plus....Just my two cents

1 - 20 of 27 Posts