Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to segregate brass by manufacturer for my different rifles. In .308, LC brass is used with one rifle already, another .308 uses IMI brass, I need a new manufacturer for another .308 and the choices are Rem & Win. Is there a major difference in brass between these manufacturers? Which would you choose? There isn't enough price difference to quibble about.

I know there is better brass, but I don't need it.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
BrianK,
       I have had very good luck with Winchester brass in quite a few calibers, .308 being one of the main ones I have used. I have not weighed these cases, but they have given me good accuracy and long life. I have shot Remington brass enough to split the necks (albeit in 6mm, not .308) but I have never split the Winchester necks. I retire them after 15 full power loads. I suspect I could anneal the necks and keep on shooting them! I have begun annealing the necks of my cast bullet brass after every  five loads and with the reduced pressure of these rounds I will probably shoot them nearly forever! Just one person's experience, but I would choose the Winchester.    ID

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I would lean in the same direction, that is to go with Winchester, but the difference is minimal. If you can find a special on either brand, go with that.

Also be cautious in using Lake City military brass in a civilian-grade .308. Contrary to common belief the 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester are not the same round. There are minor differences but ones that could create problems if 7.62's are used in a tightly chambered .308.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts