Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most accurate .308 with a 26'' bull barrel for under $800? I plan to do long range shooting out to 800 yds I have an excellent 22-250 that I can shoot .25" groups with at 100yds but past 600 it does not have enough energy. Any and all advice will be appreciated thanks.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
..."The most" is a kissin' cousin to "The Best"...
I'm not sure exactly what you are after, if you are "shooting" at paper having enough energy is irrelevant.
I have a Savage 10FP(3-screw) with a 24" pipe and a Choate sniper stock that shoots 8" groups at 1,000. Gun was $475, Stock was $125, Glass was $175.

Quite honestly if your rifle is bedded properly & supported(no human element, the limitation is Glass and ammo. Most guns IME will shoot much better than the shooter. It took the U.S. stock to take me out of the equation, to see what that rifle would do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a remington sps varmint in a 22-250 and i love it but i hear it is not as accurate in a 308 and i enjoy shooting long ranges but i am an avid hunter as well so i would like to hit coyotes at long ranges as well.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The best one for you to buy is the one that fits you best and feels best to you. There will be as much or more variation from one rifle to the next within a given model, as there will be between brands or models.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
The best one for you to buy is the one that fits you best and feels best to you.
Good advice there. Just check out what's available and pick the one you like. Savages have a reputation as good shooters out of the box but i personally don't care for the way they look, feel or fit me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just looking for the most accurate ones I will choose from those which one best fits me but does anybody know anything about the cz's or the Remington 700 varmint in 308 my only requirement is it shoots well or could shoot great with reloads

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Marlin "X" gun in the varmit model. $350 out the door.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Well, if those are your only requirements, and you're throwing in the caveat, "could shoot great with reloads", then that covers just about every bolt-action 308 rifle out there. Some are more likely to be accurate, as mentioned above. The Savage and Remington rifle are almost sure-fire choices and I'll add in the Marlin "X" gun to that mix, as well as the Tikka T3 Lite. If you can find an older M700 on the rack at a used gun or pawn shop, it will probably do the job, too.

I gave my son a Savage Model 10 FLP in 308 for Christmas, with a Burris FF-II 3-9X40. He's not very experienced at shooting from the bench, but with our first run of handloads he shot a 1.2 inch 3-shot group at 100 yards...from a wobbly bench. With a few hundred rounds, tuned loads, and a more stable platform, he'll be down around 1/2" by the middle of summer. I paid $500 for the rifle and scope, combined.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I am just looking for the most accurate ones
No way to know that about a specific individual rifle prior to buying it. Having said that, there was a test done a while back that was actually published. It compared group size from a _bunch_ of different rifles. I cannot recall the publication just now. Perhaps Outdoor Life or Field & Stream? I just cannot recall.

It cannot be thought of as a definitive test in any sense, because only 1 example of each rifle was fired. Still, that's better in terms of data than you're going to get asking this way, so it might be of interest to you if you can find it. The tested rifles weren't all chambered for the same round, either, which is kinda disappointing. They did, I believe, test more than one type of ammo, too, so the test helped the reader see how consistent the precision was from one load to the next.

Don't rely on this, but I thought I recalled a Weatherby Vanguard (or Howa; same thing) to have been at or very near the top. Browning was right up there, too. Don't recall where Savage finished.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
For that range you shoould only consider a heavy barrel for a number of reasons. the Rem 700 Varmint is in that class. I agree withDarker, the ChoateSniper rifle stock is great. I have a M700 with a Lijia 30 inch barrel in a Choate Sniper stock, works.

I assume you mean rifle only in the $800, 'cause you will need some good glass on top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know anything about the howa 1500 or the Remington 700 sps varmint in 308 and yes I do mean rifle only for 800

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wonder if you couldn't get this in your budget.... M77® Mark II Target .308 Win. Bolt-Action Rifle. It has a 26 inch heavy barrel.

I'm also wondering if you couldn't build your own. Get a great barrel and stock on a used Remington action.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the howa 1500 or the Remington 700 sps varmint in 308 and yes I do mean rifle only for 800
I have a Howa 1500 20" carbine and it's a dandy rifle. They make a heavy barrel .308, but I'm not sure you can get it in 26". I once had a 24" S&W 1500 in .30-06 that drove tacks. That's back when I could only afford one rifle and I traded it for a Model 70 FW .30-06 that is still one of my favorites. I wish I still had that old Smith 1500 though. It was a key-holer.

It lists at $865, but I think I'd go with a Savage FVSS if I had to meet the 26" heavy barrel criteria.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts