Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a ruger 77 with a 24 in. barrel in 7 rem mag at a local auction this weekend.

Certain people have commented that all it will do is cut whitetail deer in half. Not willing to believe this due to the fact that I am always reading on this forum about folks using 300 win mags, 338's the list goes on... on deer and harvesting them in tact.

All shots for me happen between 3 and 300 yards. I'm set up so that most deer wander by at 100 - 200 yards but there are always exceptions ( took my 257 wby back to reach out and touch the ones that were coming out to feed at the edge of the neighbors bush and had a nice buck walk out of the trees directly below me, even with me swearing at it it refused to be spooked so I took it at 10 yards - the bullet failed - went in like it should but exited the bottom of the chest in a pattern similar to #4 shotgun shell )

When I take a deer I prefer to go for the boiler room shot - less waste to feed to the dogs IMO.

Hoping that the many experienced hunters on this forum could give me a clue on where I should start in factory ammo to get good results.

My own experiences say to go medium to heavy to keep the bullet intact and realistically I will never be shooting 500 yards +++ to take advantage of a lighter bullet. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine likes to be fed Federal 150Gr. Ballistic tips, .5" group at 100 yards, and everyone i have shot went clean through the deer, and dont listen to all the comments about tearing the meat up, get a good shot to the chest and you will have a clean enter and exit wound, as long as its not a little yearling...lol.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
win power points or rem core locks will do more than fine. i would look at the 150 gr or there abouts. anything lighter at close range (100 yrds and closer) could be explosive and ruin a lot of meat in my opinion. the 7mm rem mag was not made to be a close range (under 100 yrds) round. shooting a light 140 or 130 gr round at deer at 75 yrds and under can be ugly if you wonder out of the boiler room area.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Mag groups great with the 140g Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips but Iv never killed a deer with one. Iv also been told that they waste a lot of meat. Remington core lockts are a good bullet for the price but if your gun wont group with them they arent worth a dime, same goes for the winchester power points. As far as bullet bullet performance on deer goes, the nosler partition is about as good as it gets IMO. Your best bet is to go and buy a few different brands of premium ammo and see which one your gun likes best. Good groups arent everything but at the same time even the best expanding bullet doesnt do you any good if you cant hit the deer with it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
Heavier bullets, as a general rule. I have had good luck with factory Core-Lokts in several calibers (including .338) but I don't own a 7mag.

One member suggested Ballistic Tips. My own experience with them on game animals hasn't been good. .30 cal, 180gr., and you could substitute a stick of dynamite and get about the same result in my experience.... the odd things is that .30 / 125gr bullets were apparently much tougher?

I had a relative use some early BTs in a .280 Rem and the report was they would nearly cut coyotes in two. I hear Nosler is toughening them up but..... I would be a skeptic based on what I have seen. Having said that my dad swears by 100gr. BTs in his .25-06 for small Ozarks whitetail.

Long story, but frankly I would recommend a Partition as an all-around bullet. If you don't shoot the parts you plan on eating, I guess it doesn't matter.....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Though I seldem use my 7mm Mag for whitetail deer, when I did, I prefered the 120gr bullets. I'm just not a big bullet guy for white tail. 95% of mine are with a 6mm Remington and Sierra GK 85gr BTHP. Been shooting that bullet for almost 40 years and never made a shot that made me regret having it. However, I've never shot one in the body with it either.

My dad was a Marine Sniper in Korea but when we bought our farm in 1962, he bought a 700ADL 222. That's the only rifle he deer hunted with until the VA hospital killed him last year. He never lost one shooting those little 50gr bullets.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Both my brother and I have shot a 7mm Mag on deer with great results from 30-250 yards. My brother just took a small buck this year quartering away at 30 yards with 150gr fusion factory ammo. went in the last two rear ribs shot a hole right through the middle of the heart (crazy thing to see) and ended up just inside the hide on the opposite side in front of the shoulder. Bullet was recovered and maintained quite a bit of it's weight. (didn't get a chance to weight it yet)

I shoot hand loaded Nosler 160gr Accubonds at ~2850fps. One deer I shot @ ~150 yards was a broadside shot went in hit a rib, both lungs and exited about the size of a quarter on the opposite side.

Depends on where you hit them, how big the deer is, and what type of bullet you use. I'm sure I could rip a deer in half with my .243 win if I used the right bullet and it was a fawn. Our adult does around here go up around 175lbs and bucks get up to 230lbs for a big one.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My cousin got a few already this year with his 7mm RemMag using heavy partitions (165gr I think, not 100% sure). The two he got when I was hunting with him were neck shots, though. I think he's going to try some 150gr Core-Lokt (Remington Green Box) next just to save some money.

Edit: Just went to check at Midway... I believe it was 160gr Partitions now... pretty sure he was using the Federal factory loads and that's one they list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
win power points or rem core locks will do more than fine. i would look at the 150 gr or there abouts. anything lighter at close range (100 yrds and closer) could be explosive and ruin a lot of meat in my opinion. the 7mm rem mag was not made to be a close range (under 100 yrds) round. shooting a light 140 or 130 gr round at deer at 75 yrds and under can be ugly if you wonder out of the boiler room area.
can u pls explain? your're saying a lighter grain bullet at close range will do more damage than heavier grain bullet at cloose range. can someone explain this.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The heavier bullet will tend to be slower and tougher than a lighter bullet. The lighter bullet at high speed hits (close range) may tend to shatter, particularly if it hits bone, where the heavier bullet will probably be more likely to hold together. The shattered bullet will send pieces all over.

I tend to shooter heavier than required bullets. I really like 140gr in my .260 so far (120gr considered to be 'appropriate' for whitetails). I shot 180gr in my .30-06 (150gr is the recommended weight in .30). I did shoot 130gr (considered 'appropriate weight' for whitetails) in my .270 Win, though.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
If you don't shoot the parts you plan on eating, I guess it doesn't matter.....

I agree wholeheartedly.

I've had all measures of experience with Nosler Ballistic Tips. I've had them explode, punch right through, and make the exit look like a 20mm Cannon hit. They have all resulted in deer dead right there. This year I managed to have a deer finally stop one so I could see what they looked like. I'm very pleased with them. I only use Nosler bullets for hunting.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Same here, the BT works great on deer and in the heavier for caliber bullets would probably be okay for elk on rib shots. Hard to beat the bullet that does very well on deer and costs very little for so much performance.

I do think the 160gr Partition or Accubond in Federal Premium (if I shot factory loads) would be my all around favorite though. Very efficient bullets and capable of killing anything in NA. Might be light on big bears, but for anything else they would be fantastic. Scotty

·
Registered
233 Posts
have shot lots of large heavy goats with nos b/tips-not good if you want meat.tend to open up quickly. remmy core lokt bullet is cheap and for deer size game is more than ample as are a lot of other projys. factory loaded cor lokts are good for me and hope you find like wise.-cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I use the Barnes TSX in my 7mm mag they hold together up close with limited damage and still perform way out. Like the others have said the core-loct is hard to beat for a foctory load.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
FEDERAL AMMUNITION 7MM REMINGTON MAG VITAL-SHOK 160GR NOSLER ACCUBOND

HORNADY AMMUNITION AND RELOADING 7MM REMINGTON MAG 154 GR INTERBOND

Remington Premier Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Pointed Soft Point

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use my remington 700 7mag on whitetail and coyotes frequently, it makes a nice clean entry and exit ruining very little meat, i use 150grain federal blue box (groups best with these) and 150 grain barnes tsx.

If you are shooting deer at close range with it you will ruin little meat, the bullet is traveling to fast to expand properly, it does a **** of a number on the vitals for some reason, almost liquefying the lungs in some cases, but causes little damage to the muscle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ballistic tips

I've not had good results with them.

A few years back friends and neighbors all said they were having excellent results with 130 gr Winchester ballistic silvertips in their 270's. First and only deer I shot with them was a nice 10 pt buck that came busting out of the bush and ran directly under my tree stand. Quick grab the rifle and follow him along and boom. He kicks into the air and 3 legs it off into the corn field. I wiggle my toes to make sure they are still there ( didn't see them in the scope but knew they were down there when I shot). Got down out of the tree to track him and there was no blood? Walked 75 yards over to the corn where I watched him go in to finally find a blood trail. Once in the corn field it was like someone had a taken a paint roller and gone to town. Traveled another 25 yards before doubling back 10. Skinned him out and found that the bullet entered 2" off from the spine , blew out 3 ribs into the shoulder shattering the upper leg bone and exited out the bottom of the rib cage. Exit hole was at least 6". Lungs were liquid and heart did not exist. The shoulder was completely blood shot and so was a good portion of the spine and neck. The dogs ate good for about a week.

It's probably not fair to blame the bullet. Can't say that it would have caused as much damage at a farther distance but with hunting you just never know exactly where you will end up taking the shot.

That's why I like the medium to heavy bullets with soft points. Might not travel as fast or flat but don't seem to cause near the damage when bambi is up close and personal.

If you sight up your rifle 1.5 " high at 100 yards you can point and shoot any deer within 300 yards or even farther with the flatter shooting ones and never have to think or worry.

For this 7 mag I am thinking of starting with the Hornady 154 gr. interbonds ,160gr. core lokt andFederal 150 gr. sierra gameking btsp and hope that the rifle likes to shoot one of them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My Model 70 7mm RM will plant the 175gr Winchester Power Points right on top of one another. They are very consistent and at 175gr's they are plenty for elk, but would make nice deer shooting rounds. Plus, they are cheap at about 25.00 a box. I shoot reloads for the rifle, but since my buddy in Idaho has it, I wanted to give him a good alternative to my handloads if he runs out and I cannot resupply. Scotty

·
Registered
654 Posts
My Model 70 7mm RM will plant the 175gr Winchester Power Points right on top of one another. They are very consistent and at 175gr's they are plenty for elk, but would make nice deer shooting rounds. Plus, they are cheap at about 25.00 a box. I shoot reloads for the rifle, but since my buddy in Idaho has it, I wanted to give him a good alternative to my handloads if he runs out and I cannot resupply. Scotty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts