Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Skligmund said:
I think it is a combination of looks and what people are used to. It should be easier to shoot straight with the long bbl because the sights are further apart, and you have a little bit of velocity gain. I don't see the need for a 24" bbl, but a 19" bbl makes sense. Heck, my Model Seven in 243 has an 18" bbl, wth does a 45 colt lever gun with iron sights need to be 24"?
You're 100% right. I think people got the idea that they could get away with shorter barrels when they realized that their Winchesters were as long as rifles.

When I get my next levergun, it's going to be 19" or less.

Have you tried that Winchester Timber Scout in .44 Mag? It has an 18" barrel. I heard that it was sweeeeet. Too bad they don't make those in .45 Colt.

That's why the Army shortened their .45 Colt revolvers from 7.5" to 5.5" on the "Artillery" model. The 1911A1 had a 5" barrel all it's service life. Now the M9 9mm pistol also sports a 5" barrel. It's the optimum length.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For more info on barrel length, you might be interested in this post on the SASS Wire:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41241

It's not just speculation, it's empirical data obtained from shooting the same load through different barrel lengths.

It pretty much shows that there is NO practical difference between a 16" 20" and 24" barrel when shooting pistol cartridges.

The only advantage to barrel length is magazine capacity and balance.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Well I just got a lever action winchester in 357 mag and it has a 20 inch barrel and for me that is about as short as I want to go. I have fairly long arms and any shorter and I feel uncomfortable holding them. Tried a 16 inch in my hands and it just didn't fit me. Something to think about. OH I am over 6 feet tall, just something to think about. I don't think in a pistol caliber I would go past 20 inches for a barrel length but with a rifle caliber I like 24or even 26 inch barrels they just seem to fit me better and feel better in my hands. I have never had trouble carrying one of them but then I am a black powder guy and a 13 pound rifle is just balanced to me.
my 3cents

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well of course. I don't think an M1 Carbine would fit you too well either as it only has an 18" barrel.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Army GI
As a matter of fact I did use one once and it was how I found out short barrels and me don't get along. I used it as hip or hand held weapon. Fired the M16 a lot that way to along with the militarys idea of a shotgun. Only short barreled thing in service I liked was the M79 law it was a blast to shoot and I could do quite well with it. But then I liked the 45 auto and just got one here almost a year ago now and I am learning how much fun it is all over again.
What I think is wrong is the length of pull is usually to short something along the lines of under 13 inches is really bad for me. I like the over 13 inch pull better it is just the way it fits me and if forced to I could learn how to deal with it but would not make me a fan of the weapon.

·
Banned
69 Posts
I prefer the shorter length (16") for my .45 Colt carbine as well. I carry it in an over-the-shoulder sling, muzzle down, hooked by the saddle ring.

It is true that the longer barrels are naturally more accurate, but I made up for the loss in length by changing to a set of Marble's sights. A 1/16th in. ivory bead up front, and adjustable fold-down rear, and - here is the kicker - a tang mounted, fold down peep. It made all the difference in the World! I now play at the range by dinging the 200 yard gongs in order - and then in reverse - with 250 grainers.

BTW: the Beartooth 280gr. WFNGC over 10.2 gr of Accurate No.5 is pure Death on Alabama hogs. (Thanks for the loading advice, Marshal!) Also shoots well out of my 4 5/8" Ruger NEW Vaquero, though the recoil is a bit stiff. Worse than the Rainier plated 300gr. numbers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nine Toed Omar said:
I prefer the shorter length (16") for my .45 Colt carbine as well. I carry it in an over-the-shoulder sling, muzzle down, hooked by the saddle ring.

It is true that the longer barrels are naturally more accurate, but I made up for the loss in length by changing to a set of Marble's sights. A 1/16th in. ivory bead up front, and adjustable fold-down rear, and - here is the kicker - a tang mounted, fold down peep. It made all the difference in the World! I now play at the range by dinging the 200 yard gongs in order - and then in reverse - with 250 grainers.

BTW: the Beartooth 280gr. WFNGC over 10.2 gr of Accurate No.5 is pure Death on Alabama hogs. (Thanks for the loading advice, Marshal!) Also shoots well out of my 4 5/8" Ruger NEW Vaquero, though the recoil is a bit stiff. Worse than the Rainier plated 300gr. numbers.
200 yards? That's impressive for a .45 Colt...

I always thought 100ya was pushing it for revolver cartridges.

·
Banned
269 Posts
No, I loaded up some 180 grain lead bullets at about 1700 FPS out of my buddy's '94, and they were grouping 3 inches at a 100 yards. There was hardly any drop either. I was plinking at things I guesstimate at 200 yards, and was hitting what seemed to be 4 or 5 inches low for the sight adjustment that was used (set up with 250 XTP's @ 1950 FPS). I find the 45 Colt VERY capable out of a lever gun. I'd hunt with it if it was stainless and had a non-plastic butt plate (it hurts worse than my 300 Remington Ultra Mag when I shoot hot loads out of it). I'd like a Puma '92 SS 16" in 454, so I could load 45 Colt in it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Without holding over... probably about 150. After that, it's a matter of range estimation.

Sight in 2" high at 100, dead on at 125, and 3-4 inches low at 150. That'll whack a deer without having to hold up off of it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
hehe, you might be mad Skilmund, but I've gotten 1.5" groups with blackpowder .45 Colt loads out of my 24" winchester =).

I think that long sight radius coupled with well made case bullets that seal the bore perfectly make for an accurate load.

I have no idea what the MV was for the winchester, but for a 7.5" revolver, it clocks in at about 950fps. So it's a pretty stout load for standard pressure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anything longer than 20" and your wasting metal, is what I have found.

Between a 24", 20", and 16" trapper, the 45lc hits its fastest burn rate with the 20". There is so little drop between the 16" and 20", your basically talking about sight radius preference.

Unless you use a slower powder like 4227 or such, stick with the shorter barrel.

Now, if you are talking black powder, that is a different ball game altogether. ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
DEVERS said:
Now, if you are talking black powder, that is a different ball game altogether. ;)
Do tell:)

BTW, I remember the reason I chose the longer barrel: sight radius and overall capacity. I can fit 13 rounds in my winchester with a 24" barrel. You can kill alotta indians with that :p

·
Registered
503 Posts
Army GI said:
You can kill alotta indians with that/QUOTE]

I'm glad this is a friendly group and not worried about some priss jumping all over the "policitical correctness" of everything we say. Comment was understood for the message intended, and the historical reference to another era added flavor!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
LET-CA said:
Army GI said:
You can kill alotta indians with that/QUOTE]

I'm glad this is a friendly group and not worried about some priss jumping all over the "policitical correctness" of everything we say. Comment was understood for the message intended, and the historical reference to another era added flavor!
lol, thanks. Im glad you enjoyed that.

However, By no means do i mean disrespect. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. I only make that joke when I'm talking about my winchester.

I'm part Cherokee BTW.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Army GI said:
lol, thanks. Im glad you enjoyed that.

However, By no means do i mean disrespect. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. I only make that joke when I'm talking about my winchester.

I'm part Cherokee BTW.
I'm not an indian, but I was born in September so my astrological sign is feces.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had some good news a few days ago that our state legislature has finally pulled thier respective heads out of somewhere dark and nasty and are considering rifles and carbines chambered in .357, .44 spl. 44 mag. and .45 Colt to be legal to use for Deer Hunting in the 2007 season here in Indiana. Admittedly I am a big bore handgun hunter because all of the past years of not being able to hunt deer here at home with my favorite lever-guns. I was just tickled when I put a 15" .30-06 barrel on an encore pistol with a 165 gr. Hornady SST bullet. The whole idea was safety, to limit what could be used to hunt deer with. Guess they must have thought that an encore pistol in .30-06 would have the range and power of the same in a rifle. This is the mentality that we here in Indiana have been dealing with for some time. The ones that set the guide lines for hunting are not hunters them selves. Any way if the legislation goes through I will be hunting next season with my 94 trapper and my favorite hunting load of a BTB 340 gr. WLNGC setting on 20 grs. of H-110. This load is also very accurate out of my Ruger 4 5/8 " old model Vaquareo ( I don't use a steady diet of these loads in it, but they sure do the job.) and have taken wild boar with this load. My guide said it was the loudest .45 that he had ever heard. I think the trapper length works just fine with some of the slower burnig powders too if the right bullet is used.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
another vote in this relatively older thread for the 45 colt in 16"

i own the trapper in 45 colt, and also have developed a load that will work well with my trapper or the vaquero.

I have a few loads that work well with the Smith mountain gun too.

As far as accuracy is concerned, the little winnie will shoot to about 2" off the bench at 100, but beware, the trapper THUMPS off a benchrest/sandbag setup.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts