Shooters Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 24" barrel, although I'm not sure if the slightly better accuracy is worth the limited handling abilities of a long barrel more suited for a rifle cartridge.

I'm thinking about trading it, but maybe not. I don't know yet.

What do you all think?
While I agree w/ stability the weight of longer barrel has, I question the need for the extra length for accuracy as the 45LC isn’t exactly a distance round like a 30-06 or 308 where a longer barrel might have greater impact. I like the 20” if I can only have 1. The 16” feels too small, like a stepping stone away from a really big pistol. Lol

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Old thread (14 years) but I'll chime in with my experience.... after all it was around the time the thread was started, that I had a Marlin "Cowboy" 1894 with a 24 barrel. I don't know if there is any predicting accuracy with barrel length, but there sure is in predicting velocity..... and the Marlin picked up about 500fps over my .45 Colt revolvers. Not thinking about this too much, I held the gun pretty loosely on the first shot.... and did not make that mistake again! Didn't get a scope cut but there were a few tears welling up..... LOL

A .300 grain bullet at over 1,700 fps WILL get your attention in an 1894 :eek:

Anyway figure minimum 300fps gain with full power loads (say 30,000 CUP in the .45 Colt for Marlins and the bigger Rugers, etc.).

Sight in for 2" high at 100 yards, should be close to dead on at 125, and about 3" low at 150. There are manuals with load data for the .45 Colt and various other pistol cartridges in lever guns, where you can get an idea of the velocity increases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread (14 years) but I'll chime in with my experience.... after all it was around the time the thread was started, that I had a Marlin "Cowboy" 1894 with a 24 barrel. I don't know if there is any predicting accuracy with barrel length, but there sure is in predicting velocity..... and the Marlin picked up about 500fps over my .45 Colt revolvers. Not thinking about this too much, I held the gun pretty loosely on the first shot.... and did not make that mistake again! Didn't get a scope cut but there were a few tears welling up..... LOL

A .300 grain bullet at over 1,700 fps WILL get your attention in an 1894 :eek:

Anyway figure minimum 300fps gain with full power loads (say 30,000 CUP in the .45 Colt for Marlins and the bigger Rugers, etc.).

Sight in for 2" high at 100 yards, should be close to dead on at 125, and about 3" low at 150. There are manuals with load data for the .45 Colt and various other pistol cartridges in lever guns, where you can get an idea of the velocity increases.
hahaha, I should have looked at the date. 14 years? I feel like I just communicated w/ somebody from the past. Like a Twighlight Zone episode! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
453 Posts
Even with the age there are a couple of aspects in this post that are always relevant.
1. Longer barrels don't necessarily add to accuracy but the longer sight radius is likely to.
2. Longer barrels almost always add to the velocity and therefore the range of fire.
When firing intermediate ranges there is a place for short stiff barrels when shooting groups. They can be at least as accurate as longer barrels and sometimes prove to show less flex and whip than longer barrels. The reason longer barrels are use in long range accuracy is the added velocity they provide. The long barrel also puts more mass out in front of the stock that aids in less wandering when firing off-hand. The longer heavier barrel is often helpful when shooting "running" targets because follow through is easier. The longer barrel may be detrimental to snap shooting where quick shots are fired often without the use of sights. (also called instinctive shooting)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yep, old post but new additions to comment on. I read all the time about how much more accurate “long” barrels are due to the increased sight radius, almost always parroted by someone who “read it somewhere”. How about some actual shooting experience? I shot IHMSA silhouette for decades in International class, and I noticed no practical accuracy improvement between a 10” barrel and a 15” barrel (both with good iron sights) out to 200 meters - my scores were almost the same with either barrel, which could have more to do with pistol weight than with sighting radius. FWIW, my scores in Unlimited and Production were usually between 38 and 40.

Sure, in competitive disciplines like smallbore rifle shooting for points a longer sighting radius may help - but there we are talking about 1/10” at 50 yards. How much accuracy does one require with a .45 LC rifle? I contend that there is no practical sighting advantage to a 24” barrel versus a 20” barrel for ‘most all uses that a .45 LC qualifies for. BTW I own two .45 carbines myself.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Some smaller scale observations:
.25ACP is tested in 6 inch barrels and gives about 775 to 800fps for factory loads.
BBTI recorded testing that showed .25ACP gave about 1000fps in a 16 inch barrel and about 850fps in an 18 inch one, so it seems Factory .25ACP will improve in velocity up to about 16 inch long barrels and then slowly decrease in MV after that length.

If the larger handgun cartridges behave in similar manor, then the 'peak performance' would be at about the same proportionate length increase over their test barrel length.

If the test barrel length is 24 inches then the proportionate length would be about 64 inches, about 2-2/3 times the test barrel length.

My own experiments with .25ACP in longer barrel handguns indicate a revolver, with its venting of gasses does not really benefit as much as a closed breech nonvented type action.
A 10-5/8 barreled revolver yields about 2.1 percent less MV with Factory .25ACP due to the venting at its cylinder to barrel gap.
A 8-1/8 inch semiauto pistol gains in MV over the Factory test barrel ratings of Factory ammo.
Shot in a 21" rifle, the .25ACP Factory ammo performs as expected, with slight reduction from factory rated MV but quieter and more accurately it seems.

Just my amature observations, your testing observations may vary.

Chev. William

41 - 46 of 46 Posts