Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been asked by one of the Hunter Ed instructors that I teach with what would be the best BB gun for us to use in our HE classes. The guns we are currently using are getting worn out but they are only 2 or 3 years old. Between using them at 5 or 6 classes each year with about 40 students in each class and taking them to other venues to introduce people to shooting, each gun probably fires several thousand BB's each year and he is getting tired of replacing the guns so often. I would appreciate any suggestions you have of guns that are first and foremost durable and maintenance free, and second somewhat accurate (at least can hit a 2" diameter black circle from 25 feet somewhat regularly) We are currently using pump guns instead of CO2 guns to help keep cost down and we also seemed to have more trouble with the CO2 guns. Thank you.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I used a Daisy level action BB gun for that sort of thing, they were like the Daisy Red Rider guns they sell today. This was before I was deemed old enough to use a 22 at my local gun club. Those lever guns last a very long time. Well built in America.

Jerry

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many rounds do you think you were able to get out of that gun? Like I said, we are needing guns that will stand up to several thousand rounds. We are looking at getting some grant money to buy them and would like to get something that will stand up to several years of use.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Might try contacting someone in the 4-H Shooting Sports program--i.e. local county/extension agent agent. They use BB guns but are special built for that use is my understanding. Things may have changed over the last fifteen years since I looked into helping with that program.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Your looking for an "industrial stregth" BB gun with reasonable accuracy Kansas! That's a hard order to fill.

Two suggestions:

#1 On the Daisy's (and similar), add a little oil to the BB's every time you reload.

#2 Talk to a maker (like Daisy) and ask about what they could do to meet your requirements?

On #1, I know that it(oil) keeps my "wasp gun" shooting.

Don't know about #2? Worth a call or e-mail though. Might make a "beefed-up" run for you (at a price)?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Check out www.pyramidair.com they have a wide selection of air rifles. Some pretty reasonable, and some pretty high priced. The best ones for competition are the precharged pneumatic ones, but they are pretty high priced.

While stationed in England, our Rod and Gun club had a junior marksmanship program going for the depenant kids, and used some sidelever BSA pellet rifles, and they held up for at least three years that I was there, and they were in use at least one or two years before I got there, and still going strong when I left. I would think that Daisy should have something comperable to the BSA's in their line up, and might even work with you on a discounted refurb program every couple of years. I know that they can repair the older models, as I had my 1940's Red Rider rebuilt a couple of years back, and it was real reasonable. (I am it's original owner, and "NO!" it's not for sale.)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Daisy has a single shot BB match gun that may work for you. I had a repeater version years ago and it held up well. Daisy is also now making the Model 25 again. The 25 I had worked for a long time with no problems for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts