Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good buckshot load, if it is commercial, what brand, if I have to load it myself where can I find the loading data?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
I am looking for a good buckshot load...
A very open question Jerry. What do you plan to do with this buckshot load?:confused: Is this a hunting load (if so, what's the game?) or defensive (under what conditions?)?

Federal used to make really good buckshot loadings (for deer) but they have changed. I've used W-W too with great confidence (for deer and defense) but I always pattern my gun and loads for hunting purposes. Close-range defensive use make it unnecessary in my opinion. For deer, I like 00 or 000 buck but if I was hunting coyotes or similar sized I might go with #4, #3 or the like. With all that said, I have shot and killed a lot of deer with buckshot but I think its a terrible choice for that animal. I've reached the point where I would not hunt deer if I had to use buckshot, but thats just me. For down-range preformance, with loads I have tested, bufferred, copper-plated buckshot have always been the best in my guns. NOTHING WILL BE BETTER THAN YOUR OWN TEST RESULTS!:)

Happy shooting!:cool:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Federal used to make really good buckshot loadings (for deer) but they have changed.
Actually, I think Federal still has the best buckshot loads in the business, with respect to the Premium Copper Plated line. Winchester Premium is right behind. I like and use the 2 3/4" HV 9 pellet stuff most of the time as it consistantly patterns well through my 870/Pattern Master combo. The Federal 3" 000B is very effective, and usually patterns real well too.

Lead buckshot, is all pretty much the same from my shotguns.

Handloading buck is an interesting process, and with a bit of effort and time, you can match the performance of the best commercial loads available. It's not much cheaper, really, but it's lots of fun to play around with. I have found that BPI Superbuck is both very hard, and very round. Soome of the cheaper stuff is pretty soft, and not real concentric. Fine for home defense loads, but not for game shots. You need to try different wad combinations, liner materials for shot sleves, buffer/non-buffer, and choke combinations. Handloading also gives some options for 20Ga shotguns. I loaded some 8 pellet/1Buck that shoots quite well, and some 16 pellet/4Buck. Either would be fine for any class of varmit.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,352 Posts
You ever think about the Tri-Ball load from Dixie slugs? I would get some of these but I can't think of a single place I hunt where buckshot would be required, or an advantage, really.

Might point one of them at a pig, one of these days, just for research purposes you know :D

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is for defensive shooting, in moderate to tight close quarter combat. 12 Gauge Rem 870 Shotgun.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I can't think of a single place I hunt where buckshot would be required, or an advantage, really.
That means you're lucky. I have a couple spots that produce lots of deer, but I avoid even pulling the trigger from the ground, limiting shots to my tree stands. Buckshot is THE ticket for that sort of area. For a home defense load, I'd probably use a 1oz. game load of 4/5/6's to avoid long distance disasters.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I recently tried both Remington and Estate 9 pellet 00 buck in my Norinco 97 and they shot exactly the same.

At 5 yards they kept all pellets in a 5" circle, and at 25 yards they were all inside 18". I don't think that's too bad for a 20" cylinder bore barrel.

I got the Estate shells on sale at Cabelas for $12.99 for 25 rounds, which is dirt cheap.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cowboy,

Thanks, I will have to go the Cabela over in W.V. and buy a couple of boxes.

Tman,

I pretty much agree with you on the 1 oz slugs for home defense. But where I live the home defense could be out side of the house. But I also would use some of my #4 shot shells as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
416 Posts
Inside the house, home intruder-type scenario, 00 Buck. If I had to clear a house, #4 Buck. Those loads wouldn't be the super tight loads. I want some spread. If I had to take it outside with a shotgun, Tri-Ball, Punkin Ball or Slug. Maybe 00 Buck if the range was under 30 yards.

DC

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Midwayusa has Fiocchi 00 buck nickle-plated 9 pellet loads for about .60 a round. I think the velocity was listed at around 1390 fps, and they patterned really well out of my 870 with it's cheap turkey choke. The only downside is the wad, which has a modern gas seal and cushion platform, but no shotcup. It hasn't striped my barrel too badly testing 10 rounds.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the situation of not so much inside my house, but area the out side of my house. I need point and shoot.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Midwayusa has Fiocchi 00 buck nickle-plated 9 pellet loads for about .60 a round. I think the velocity was listed at around 1390 fps, and they patterned really well out of my 870 with it's cheap turkey choke. The only downside is the wad, which has a modern gas seal and cushion platform, but no shotcup. It hasn't striped my barrel too badly testing 10 rounds.
I had occasion to look at these since I posted this.They do have a shot cup, but no buffer. The speed is 1325. I guess the nickle plating is what keeps the group tight. They are pretty to look at with a clear hull and wad.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have bought two 5 packs of the Winchester Buckshot loads to try out, the local gun store has some Remington that I may try out.

I am looking at other brands, but the places that I get ammo from, seems to have a low inventory of Buckshot loads, does this indicate the popularity of the brand?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have bought two 5 packs of the Winchester Buckshot loads to try out, the local gun store has some Remington that I may try out.

I am looking at other brands, but the places that I get ammo from, seems to have a low inventory of Buckshot loads, does this indicate the popularity of the brand?

Jerry
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I will say that the Super-X 12-pellet 00 buck load has been the best (tightest) patterning load I've ever used.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jerry, take a look at Winchester's new SD round. You cast Slugs and you cast Buck. Seems that the Winchester round would be pretty easy to duplicate with a WAA12R wad and a dose of Blue Dot.

When I first saw their round, I kind of discounted it as not being loaded right, but I read a write-up in Guns & Ammo (yeah, I know, G&A loves everything they test), and it might be what you want for outside the house.

Be aware thet most factory 00 Buck ammunition that you buy isn't 00 Buck. Technically it is, it falls within SAAMI spec, but in actuality, it's a bit smaller than 0 Buck.

DC

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can cast 00 and punkin balls, but yes I know the factory stuff isn't as it is labeled. Some times I take apart a shell or two to see what they are made of.

Currently I am trying out the Lyman Sabot slug cast in WW alloy going thru a smooth bore 870 barrel. One of my other trial was the BPI Blue Force slug, loaded hot, it went about 148 yards, give or take, then punched through a 2 x 6.

So I am looking and trying all sorts of stuff.

Jerry

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never tried the Blue Force, but when I see ad copy like "With design cues taken from the military’s tank killer rounds, the LBC BluForce Sabot Slug offers unparalleled penetration, knockdown power and down-range accuracy.", I get real skeptical.

DC

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I will say that the Super-X 12-pellet 00 buck load has been the best (tightest) patterning load I've ever used.
Is the new Supreme Hi Velocity 3" 12 pellet load or the 2 3/4" version? I tried some of the 2 3/4" stuff and it shot the best through my Sporting Clays Modified tube, with my 28" VR barrel. My 23" turkey barrel needed an Improved modified.

I picked up a Pattern Master choke a couple years and that seems to work real well with Federal Premium, not so great with others. Year on year, my 870 likes Federal best, with any tube in the 20 Remchoke slug barrel. But shotguns and buckshot are oddly selective. Every barrel I own (3) shoots a bit differently ? Strangest thing, none of my barrels shoot Remington buckshot for beans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.