Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough consistency among factory Win 94 30-30's to say which diameter of cast bullet works well?  I have a "Trapper" model 30-30 carbine that I'd like to get some cast bullets for, and wondered which diameter to request from BTB.  (Like my Marlin .444SS I got the .432 diameter which work great--I wondered if it was a similar situation with these 30-30's).

Thank you, Tom T.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,227 Posts
Tom,

For a rifle that's been made for over a hundred years - not likely!

You really do need to slug it.  Either get some round balls a little larger than the bore size (probably .309") or a fishing sinker that is in that neigborhood.

The throat is actually what you want to fill up but it's a little harder to measure.  So measure the groove and add 0.001".

It is very common for manufacturers these days to run the groove diameters on the large side.  Guess it keeps pressures down.  Anyway, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that your groove diameter is close to .309" and that you'd be best off with .310" bullets.  But... that's a guess, and you won't know till you slug it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike...I'll get some sinkers and see what I come up with.

Tom T.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
I think you are probably safe with .310's. I've shot them in a couple rifles with good results. The only problem has been with my Marlin 336. The neck portion of the chamber is just tight enough to prevent chambering a .310 bullet when using Federal brass. Works okay with Rem. and Win. brass. I size bullets for that rifle to .309 now and they shoot great. Actually, the .309's shoot well in my Winchester, too, but if I were just going to buy a diameter that was most likely to work in most '94s I would start with the .310's. Sorry to ramble, I'm sleepy!           See ya, IDShooter

·
Registered
71 Posts
My M94 Winchester really likes .311" bullets.  It will put 5 into 1-1/4" at 50 yds with iron sights.  I think it will better that if I sort my bullets more carefully. .310" bullets won't come close to that.   As MikeG said it is the fit in the throat that is the most important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts