Shooters Forum banner

Best campfire coffee - how do you brew it?

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  eclarsen88 
#1 ·
Like the title says, how do you make yours.
I used to use the old enamel jug method letting the grounds boil up for a few minutes then adding some cold water. A few of my mates disagreed with my method and said it was better to sluice cold water down the outside of the jug but I never got on with that way.
What's the best way, in your opinion?
I bought a kelly's kettle (Small 'Trekker' Kettle - SST (0.57ltr) Camping Kettle & Stove | Camp Equipment | Camp Cookware | Survival kit | Original & Best) a few years back and this is great, still add water down the spout, the only drawback is you have to clean it immediately after use or the grounds stick in the bottom seam.

#12 ·
I just got back from buying coffee....two big bags of something foreign and cheap at Walmart. I've never had espresso or any thing fancy. I drink one (34oz) cup of coffee with cream, sugar and powdered hot chocolate. If it's hot its good. If it's cold its not bad. I don't miss breakfast!

Reactions: jimboro
#14 ·
My Wife's Aunt Helen always had a 1/2 gallon pot of Java always with an egg or 2 that was put in after the 1st boil and then resting on the back of the Fire Ring when camping back starting in '74(discharge year) and like so many wonderful memory's of the past no matter what one does to recreate that flavor it seems to never quite do it.
I still make coffee at the hunting shack the same way in Her memory.
And still at times get a dose of grounds because i was to impatient and filled the thermos before they settled.
And the old memories are flooding in now...

#15 ·
I dug out my Generation 2 espresso pot that went on every Elk hunt. Gen 1 pot was lost down the hole ice fishing when it was passed down to my Late SIL. Today was the last day of the firearms deer season in my zone and the 1st day i could hunt as i was having a 6 week battle with the China Virus and had what Doc called COVID Pneumonia. spent 11 days in hospital and on Oxygen the next 3 weeks, It was only 100 yard out to ladder stand but had to stop about 4 times each time but its so much better now!
The wind was swirling all day, 26 Deg F ay 0700 and temps were suppose to drop and i got a better hat when i went in for lunch.
Here are pictures of my ladder stand setup, all i had to do was add a 4" c-clamp and a insulated cup as the stainless steel insulated cup that i paired with this pot is missing. I had never used regular coffee in this, just espresso prior to today. It took 8 min. to make coffee with the Burnzomatic torch in the stand, but in the Shack on the Gas Range only 4 min. And what a delicious cup of coffee! this will go with next weekend when Muzzle Loader Season starts!
1-1/3 cup water
2 heaping teaspoons coffee "Grounds" Not instant Jack!

Small espresso maker on e-bay makes 2.5 fl oz. New GSI Outdoors One-Cup Mini Expresso Glacier Stainless 90sec Espresso Maker 90497651021 | eBay

The one i have is 11 fl oz on e-bay GSI Outdoors Mini Expresso Maker Gourmet Camp Coffee Espresso 55101 New In Box 90497551017 | eBay
Photograph White Light Branch Drinkware
Moka pot Drinkware Dishware Kitchen appliance Serveware
Snow Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Winter

#16 · (Edited)
I'd go broke with that deal! I use two heaping table spoons of grounds (unless I run out) and 8 cups of water in a cheap coffee maker to fill my one cup for the day. 'Gourmet coffee' is wasted on me, for sure. I'm a gulp and go guy that won't buy coffee too expensive to pour out if I don't like it. A law firm in Dallas seemed proud of their Starbucks bill every month. Coffee is too essential to be expensive!

#18 ·
I'd go broke with that deal! I use two heaping table spoons of grounds (unless I run out) and 8 cups of water in a cheap coffee maker to fill my one cup for the day. 'Gourmet coffee' is wasted on me, for sure. I'm a gulp and go guy that won't buy coffee too expensive to pour out if I don't like it. A law firm in Dallas seemed proud of their Starbucks bill every month. Coffee is to essential to be expensive!
Jack,
That's just the point! i was using plane coffee grounds this weekend, we use Folgers and 2 teaspoons worked perfect here at home except Mrs. Gbro has an electric range(flat top) and it took 6 min. to brew the cup.
Like i stated previously, I had only used the Gourmet(espresso) grounds that are much more expensive but am not any more!
So you could cut your coffee bill in half and no filters needed!
Mine will get much more use now.
Thank you Ole Timer for starting this Thread!!!

#17 ·
My Stepson is a Master Coffee Roaster who has won a few National Awards and is part owner in a coffee company based in Florida. My wife and I enjoy camping when we travel and enjoy Texas State parks a couple of times a year. We used to just carry instant, but have kind of switched to pour through makers. The travel ones are nice as you can make a single cup. We usually have coffee from her son and we are rarely disappointed in any he supplies. He and his family are visiting us this week and he brought us several pounds of some new blends. You have to heat water for each and even though it takes a few minutes to make a pour through cup, it's worth it.

Similar to this.

Drinkware Kitchen appliance Tableware Liquid Material property

I'm not a coffee snob, but do appreciate a good cup of Java!

Reactions: Pudfark and jimboro
#19 ·
That sounds like D.C. math to me! To get 8 cups of coffee with your gizmo would take me 6 spoons of coffee a day instead of two. I don't use filters, just the screen wire basket that it came with.
My crusty old neighbor made cowboy coffee in a big enameled pot. 'A handful to the cupful and a handful for the pot'. It could fight off a spoon and cure a guy of showing up to visit without a cup of your own already in hand. "Thanks Hershel, but I got a quart right here!"

Reactions: jimboro
#20 ·
Jack,
I missed your 34oz cup and remembered your 8 cup pot and 1 cup a day.
But what about camping hunting etc.
A hot fresh cup?
When i married my wife had grown up with a horrible habit of reheating yesterdays coffee. It didn't long to change that!

#21 ·
I have a two pound Prince Albert can with an insulated cup, packets of honey and bags of Morning Thunder tea by Celestial Seasonings in it. Morning Thunder's got an overload of caffeine in it and handier than coffee. Instant hot chocolate is too.
I was a traveling salesman for several years calling on industrial accounts and construction projects. I stopped on a project in Nevada one time during a cool breeze about 20 mph and 20 F. It was a state prison crew repairing guard rails. They had a big open pot of 'coffee' on a fire that looked more like muddy road tar. It was cowboy coffee with blocks of GI chocolate in it. Pretty good actually. About a 20 gallon pot, five pounds of coffee and 'a couple' pounds of chocolate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.