Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has probably been chewed over before so many times as to numb the experienced shooters. Sorry!  However, I just bought a 450 Marlin and I want to resume bullet casting. I did it before only for handgun targeting. Now I want to use it for hunting larger game, such as elk and moose. I suspect that about 400 grains is the optimum weight...good penetration without sacrificing speed, and causing cycling problems. Does this seem right? Also, who makes the more easily available quality molds? Custom moulds, unless they are outstandingly better would not interest me. Who offers the best gas checked mold in this category? Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You'd do pretty well with the 405-GC mould from RCBS.  Ballisticast offers a couple of LBT designs in 420-425 grs but they would run &#3695 plus shipping.  They make great bullets, though.  For best results in the Marlin you'd want to size the finished product to .459 or .460.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you trade back into an 1895g? in .45-70? There is absolutely nothing you cannot do with this cartridge/gun.  With this cartridge in one of Marlin's guns you may take any game, on any continent, at any range, provided you use and understand, "The Art of the Rifle"(my browser doesn't support underlines).  The biggest advantage to the .45-70, as I understand it, is the widespread availability of ammo/components and their adaptability to specific shooting situations will make you a "one gun man" (except for your eventual adoption of Col. Coooper's Scout, as embodied by Steyr-Mannlicher).  Please write me with your criticisms(discussion), I am open to any debate, with any logical man or woman, at any time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This may not be relevant, but given that the .450 is a .45-70 with a belt my Ruger #1 likes the 405 WFNGC bullet best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I had already bought my 450 before I had learned that 45/70 owners were boosting their performance into what a 450 will do. I will be reloading in any event so whether the cartridge is belted or not is of little concern to me. What interests me is what happens at the other end. (If I were doing things all over again I probably would have gone to the 45/70. There would likely be less reason for concern about availability of brass as years go by.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts