Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a short 1892 in .357. I found an very unique picture of a couple of houndsmen from the 1950's with some highly modified 1892's or possibly 1894's. I have no desire to recreate these rifles, but a nice 1892 in .357 is high on my list. I am thinking that a Taylor's Huntsman or a Chiappa Trapper might be a good choice. Am I missing any other options?

·
Registered
48 Posts
A short 357/44 Mag is a dream in the woods. I've carried and used a Marlin 1894P 16" 44mag for many years in the thick Fl woods for a hog gun. I wish the 1894P was still in production, it would be a great seller.

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
No matter which make you choose, this is a great little rifle and super handy in 16". The only disadvantage is that it's not practical to remove the bolt for cleaning. Not a big deal to me. I just clean from the muzzle with the same little brass muzzle guard I use on my revolver.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own a Winchester. It’s fun to shoot. But beware. Trying to get parts for one can be difficult. They are made in Japan but the workmanship is fine. I was expecting a better grade of wood for what you have to pay.
The first thing I recommend is a tang sight. Buckhorn sights suck for hunting & marginal for targets. I often read in astonishment of owners getting supper small groups @150 yards. Not me! But then my 70 year old eyes & nerves are not getting better. But at 50 yards it’s lethal. I have found out that I like shooting +p .38 specials.They seem to cycle better than the magnums are accurate & I can put them thru my 2 revolvers which is a plus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts