Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Haven't shot factory '06 in 30 years?
I like a Speer 130grn HP over a case full of IMR 4064 in the '06.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Best .30-06 Factory Load

I've had good results with Nosler Custom Ammo. The 150 gr Partition gave 2870 fps, fairly close to published 2910 fps. I also liked their 180 gr Accubond, which gave slower velocities (2750 fps) but was very accurate. Basically, I experimented with these to get the fine Norma brass.:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,568 Posts
"Least expensive" and "best" are rarely the same thing.

I'm sure whatever ammo you can find cheap will function properly and may even be accurate. Try some and see. It's been years since I shot a factory .30-06 round but I have had plenty of friends hunt with factory Remington ammo.

What do you intend to do with the rifle?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Depends what you are hunting and what your rifle likes. Haven't hunted with a .30-06 for years, but found 150 gr Winchester "power point" and Remington "core lock" to be more than adequate for deer and pronghorn. Federal 165 gr premium gave slightly better groups. However, I had one rifle (Lightweight Model 70) that shot well with 150 and 180 grain factory ammo, but shot patterns with 165s.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
What would be the best factory load for a .270, and which is better .270 or 30-06? :D:D:D
My .270 will shoot a variety of 130, 140, and 150 gr factory loads sub-MOA. If I mix them the group opens to about the size of a quarter. My impression is that the 130 .270s cause more meat damage than the 150 .30-06s, but either can ruin a deer's shoulder meat. Since the .270 is an ultra-light and the .30-06 is standard weight, I lean toward the .270. Thirty years ago when I owned only 3 centerfires, all 3 were .30-06. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
747 Posts
My .270 will shoot a variety of 130, 140, and 150 gr factory loads sub-MOA. If I mix them the group opens to about the size of a quarter. My impression is that the 130 .270s cause more meat damage than the 150 .30-06s, but either can ruin a deer's shoulder meat. Since the .270 is an ultra-light and the .30-06 is standard weight, I lean toward the .270. Thirty years ago when I owned only 3 centerfires, all 3 were .30-06. :rolleyes:
I have the most trouble relaying sarcasm on gun websites.;)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have the most trouble relaying sarcasm on gun websites.;)
I thought you did well.

I just took it as an opportunity to say that for the .270, as for the .30-06, it doesn't matter much which factory load one uses for deer. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Least expensive" and "best" are rarely the same thing.

I'm sure whatever ammo you can find cheap will function properly and may even be accurate. Try some and see. It's been years since I shot a factory .30-06 round but I have had plenty of friends hunt with factory Remington ammo.

What do you intend to do with the rifle?
mostly just target shooting but defintly some deer/elk hunting

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Personally for me I'm not so crazy about the SST for hunting deer and elk, for target shooting it might be fine although there are some loads that have better ballistics overall for that as well. How far are you going to be target shooting ? I don't think the SST is a heavy constructed bullet and won't retain it's weight well enough for hunting, not saying it won't kill a deer or elk just that there are better tougher bullets for that. The loads from Hornady that I would use for hunting would be the ones loaded with the GMX or InterBond. Winchester loads the AccuBond, XP3, and the E-Tip and any would be great for hunting. Federal loads the new Trophy Copper which is the Nosler E-Tip as well as the Nosler Partition, Sierra GameKing, and Trophy Bonded Tip, all great for hunting. Federal also has a line called Federal Fusion in 150gr, 165gr, and 180gr for the 30-06 and is a really good line of ammo.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
ruger30.06,

I would defer to whatever your rifle likes best. Being retired and with lots of free time and a chronograph, I have tested lots of stuff in several rifles chambered for the .30-06. For PA deer, my various .30-06 factory rifles liked different factory ammo. I just keep good records and use what each rifle likes best.

Webley

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.