Shooters Forum banner

What's the best company that makes scopes?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been shooting guns for about ten years now. But recently I've been trying using scopes for my Parker Hale 30-06 cal, as you might know it has a bit of a kick (recoil). The scopes I own are all cheap, so therefore probably won't stand for the recoil.

So, I just want to ask you: what's the best scope for my rifle that costs no more than 300$?

You can say anything you want, feel free to discuss! ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Lol that poll is quite "varied" in its options & for sure you won't find any S&Bs in the $200-$300 price range.

In the $200-$300 price range I'd recommend a few, Leupold x1-2s, Nikon Buckmaster, Burris ff2, Redfield, Weaver Clsc V, Bushnell Elite, etc...

One thing about it, you have MANY MORE decent options in the $200-$300 pricerange than you do in the under $200 segment. If all one has to spend on a scope is $100 they would be $ ahead to tape saranwrap over each end of a papertowel tube & mount that on their gun. Then spend the $100 on a nice dinner with the wife! ;)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Of the options listed, I would vote for the Leupold, but I'm no longer convinced it's the best scope at this price point.

Based on this being your first post, and your categorization of the 30-'06 as having "a bit of a kick", I'm going to surmise that you're either young or new to the worlds of guns and sporting optics.

HatchieLuvr recommended some good scopes in the $200-300 range. I would add in the Vortex line, as they have scopes for this price that would likely serve your purpose.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Using the price range you've supplied, I'd have to vote for the new VX2 from Leupold. I recently purchased a new 3-9x40 and put it atop a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in '06. Some slight upgrades from the older VXII version make it a very fine scope IMHO. Both the 2-7x33 and the 3-9x40 would be good scopes on top of that Parker Hale. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, I'm one of the worst to buy junk cheap scopes. Not anymore. For $200-$300 Nikon, Leupold VXII, Bushnell.

·
Registered
363 Posts
in that price range I'd lean to a Leupold VX-2 or Bushnell Elite. I recently put a Bushnell Elite 4200 on a gun, man I love that scope as well, but the Leupolds have always served me well and I'm sure the new VX2's are even better. Side by side against my VXII's id give the edge to Bushnell. I did an extremely unscientific test, sat on my deck at dusk and kept looking between the 2 as it got darker. And to my eyes I could make out objects in the woods longer with the Bushnell. (they were both 3-9x40's)

·
Registered
604 Posts
For $300, you can get a SWFA SS 6x42 fixed that will handle 50BMG recoil, has better glass than any scope I've seen mentioned so far, and is sold by a company here in texas (glass is from Japan) that has some of the best CS around. You have a standing 7mm exit pupil, solid tracking turrets, and if you don't think glass quality trumps magnification look at a conquest at 6x next to a VX-1 at 9x. If you have to have a variable, the Vortex Viper 3-9x40 at the same price would be my pick. Another U.S. company (phillipine-made scope), but great quality, and a no-questions-asked lifetime transferable warranty. You can still find some of the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 around for $400, and that takes the glass and quality to another level without getting into the really pricey stuff, in my opinion. Good luck.

Deck

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Welcome to the site MKK93

I didn't vote since the OP's question and the wording on the poll didn't match. If you are looking for the best scope period, Schmidt Bender might be it but doubt you'll find one for $300. If you are looking for the best company, based on my limited experience I'd have to say Leupold. If you are wanting a good scope in the 200 to 300 hundred dollar range, the previous posters pretty well covered it.

Honestly a 30-06 doesn't have a lot of recoil in most platforms so any scope in that price range should survive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For something in the 2-7X35, 2-8X32, 3-9X40 range:
Burris Signature Select, Bushnell Elite, Leupold VX2, Nikon Monarch, Nitrex TR1, Vortex Viper, Weaver Grand Slam, Weaver Super Slam, Sightron Big Sky.
Nothing wrong with the Burris FFII, FFe1, Leupold VX1, either.
Burris, Bushnell, Sightron, and Nikon all have rebate deals going on.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I don't always think that the best riflescope is the item with the brightest glass. My experience has been that, at a given price point, there are a few to several options that appear to me to have brighter glass than Leupold. However, I've not often thought they were better overall as riflescopes than the Leupold offering.

I'd look at Leupold, Weaver, and probably Bushnell. My Nikons have bright glass, but I like my Leupold and my Weaver better as scopes. Actually, my Weaver is a much higher-priced scope than the others, and it has both substantially better glass _and_ is a better riflescope than my others, including my SWFA SS).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see that many of you choose the Leupold VX2, so that's good "sign". Is there something special about that scope? And I just really want to make sure that the adjustments (elevation,windage) won't change after a couple rounds.

And just out of curiousity, some of you said that the 30-06 has a low recoil. Which bolt action rifle have you tried which has the most powerful recoil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw, I didn't know what the POLL was so I just filled the marks just to be able to post the question. But I got it right now...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! They've given you some great idea's so far. Leupold's are nice, the Nikon Buckmaster's are nice. One of the guys mentioned the Nitrex Scopes, these are Weaver scopes and the Nitrex 1 is basically the Weaver Grand Slam with very very minor differences and the Nitrex 2 is basically the Weaver Super Slam with the same minor differences. I put a Nitrex 1 on a rifle for a friend of mine, 3-10x50, fully multi coated lenses, water, fog, and shock proof. Weaver has discontinued the line and Natchez Shooters Supply still has some at closeout prices. The one I'm talking about originally sold for 349.99 and I paid 139.99 for it. It's very clear and lets in a nice amount of light. Take a look at them and the Leupold's and Nikon Buckmasters. I voted for the Schmidt & Bender because of the way the question was worded, they are about $1500 and up. Goo dluck to ya !

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,950 Posts
Like MK, I don't like to spend a pile of money on scopes. I have a couple BSA's (6-24X50) on varmint rifles that I feel rival the high end high dollar scopes mentioned. I also have a couple Simmons Whitetail classics (6.5-20X50 mildots) One that is curently doing double duty between one of the 788's in .223 and the 700 Sendero SFII in 300RUM. These cheepies are IMO as clear as $$$ scopes for 1/4-1/3 the price.

Do you have to spend $$$$ for durability and clarity? Naw, I think the 300RUM is a scope testing platform if there ever was one.

RJ

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
And just out of curiousity, some of you said that the 30-06 has a low recoil. Which bolt action rifle have you tried which has the most powerful recoil?
A guy I knew wanted me to work up some elk loads for a M77 in .338WM with the boat paddle stock. Well that rifle gave me all I wanted by the time I was done. Later on I bought a M77 MKII in .338WM but it had a lamanited stock. That rifle is very easy on the shoulder even with the factory pad which is pretty hard. Just goes to show there is more than the chambering involved for felt recoil.

·
Registered
381 Posts
fred243's suggestion of a Nitrex scope is excellent, providing something like a 3-9 power is suitable. Something in this power range is about all Natchez has left to sell. Here is an example:

Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies

As Fred wrote, above scope is basically a Weaver Grand Slam, but less than 1/2 the price. Yea, its is a discontinued brand, but part of Weaver (in a way) and Weaver will handle its life time warranty. Darn good Japanese optics in it. A great buy. Have a couple of Nitrex scopes myself, very very pleased with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a very nice suggestion HUFFMANITE, thanks for your post! I've found a shop where I can buy a scope here in Greenland.

I've one more question.. How do I know if the scope I'm checking can stand for the recoil for my rifle. Is there some website where there's a list of scopes and their capability for recoils? Or do I have to buy the scope myself and test it?

Btw, thanks for all of your posts!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't always think that the best riflescope is the item with the brightest glass. My experience has been that, at a given price point, there are a few to several options that appear to me to have brighter glass than Leupold. However, I've not often thought they were better overall as riflescopes than the Leupold offering.

I'd look at Leupold, Weaver, and probably Bushnell. My Nikons have bright glass, but I like my Leupold and my Weaver better as scopes. Actually, my Weaver is a much higher-priced scope than the others, and it has both substantially better glass _and_ is a better riflescope than my others, including my SWFA SS).
I'd have to agree. My brother and I did a comparison of a Nikon Monarch 4x16 and Burris 4.5x14 at low light levels on the same power. The Burris won but I still liked my Nikon better with the side parr adjust and BDC.

If all one has to spend on a scope is $100 they would be $ ahead to tape saranwrap over each end of a papertowel tube & mount that on their gun. Then spend the $100 on a nice dinner with the wife!
That's hilarious, Lmao. As funny as that is I have a $69 Center point as a spare that's had hundreds of round fired from a .243 to 7mm mag. **** thing works, even the turrents track pretty good. The glass is kinda like magnified saran wrap though.:D

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's a very nice suggestion HUFFMANITE, thanks for your post! I've found a shop where I can buy a scope here in Greenland.

I've one more question.. How do I know if the scope I'm checking can stand for the recoil for my rifle. Is there some website where there's a list of scopes and their capability for recoils? Or do I have to buy the scope myself and test it?

Btw, thanks for all of your posts!
Some scope manufacturers will describe their testing procedures on their websites. Otherwise, it's really just reputation and anecdotal evidence as to what scopes work. Some are specifically built to handle recoil (my earlier post re SWFA, they say their scopes are tough enough to handle .50 BMG recoil). With that said, I've never had a quality scope brand fail to recoil, and that includes Nikon, Burris, Leupold, and Zeiss. My lone burris is on a 7mm-08 handgun, and it performs like a champ. I have a nikon on a .376 Steyr handgun barrel and it works great as well, and that thing really kicks (think .375 H&H or 9.3x62 in a pistol). My Vortex scopes are on .223 Rem or lower, but with their warranty, I have to believe they'd be losing money if their scopes were failing for recoil. In addition to these newer scopes, I've never had my old steel tube Weavers fail for recoil either. As long as you stay away from the super cheap stuff, I'd wager that most scopes today that are marketed for centerfire rifles will stand up to the punishment of all but the heaviest recoiling rifles. If you have a real kicker, just make sure you buy quality optics to put on it. Ounce of prevention.... etc. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts