Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a ruger redhawk 454 9 1/2 barrell pistol and added a millett red dot scope. I also purchased some winchester 250 GR jacketed HP. shells just to get me started shooting the gun. I'm going to use it deer hunting this year and wondered if anybody knows the best ammo for all reasons for this gun. Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Jam
My SRH 454 7 1/2" realy like the XTP mag 300gr
over 30.5 gr W296 or my WFN 300 gr cast same load -both come out at 1620 an 1675 FPS respectively.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,235 Posts
A do-everything load suggestion: 300gr. WFNGC, loaded to whatever recoil you can stand. Everything from jackrabbits to moose. Frankly even at .45 Colt levels this is a formidable load.

If you don't load then there may be some similar stuff available commercially, like Buffalo Bore or Garrett, etc.

Couldn't comment much on the jacketed rounds, maybe one of the Nosler Partition pistol bullets. Obviously with .454, the trick is to not have the bullet blow up.

When in doubt regarding factory ammo, don't hesitate to contact the manufacturer. They should be eager to have you succeed with their product, and may be able to point you to some data regarding how it has worked in the field.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
MikeG
I haven't had an XTP-mag blow up yet they stay together quite well. Only bad thing is that they will not expand when they drop below 1200 fps! I shot them in my Puma 454 and at 1995 fps you can almost get them to break-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts