Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow shooters.
Which semi-auto pistols do you believe to be the best made with regard to their feeding reliability, strength of the steel used in their manufacture, accuracy, etc.? Kimber, Ruger, CZ, Glock, et.al?

Thanks for your response,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
366 Posts
I shoot a colt 1911 series 70, it has been tricked out some and will now handle any 45 acp I put thru it, and it doen not jam. I also shoot a Berreta 92fs which has never jamed or had a feeding problem. I have not found anything that would enable the fs to be a better shooter. I would not part with either. I would opt for a 10mm if I could sneek it by head bean.
Jim

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Some good ones that I own...

Beretta: the 92 series are reknowned.

Colt: Good quality.

Sig Sauer: built like tanks. Accurate as all getup.

Springfield armory> 1911a1: shoots cloverleafs right from the box.

Walther: the fit and finish of the P99 series is unbelievable! The P22 is a great plinker. Accuracy in both pistols is amazing.

Had a Taurus: ran ok.

Smith autos never did anything special for me.

Too many choices!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlemen,

I think that most of the brands / styles cater to individual desires. For example, I do not think there is a more reliable pistol than the Beretta 92FS. In Accuracy, it scores a B, and for ergonomics a C-. I had to carry one concealed in a pancake holster for a few hours, seated, and I thought afterward I would need a kidney replacement.

Glocks are the most durable, no doubt about it. Accuracy is a little less than the Beretta, although there are some specimens that shoot remarkably well. (I know of several 40s, and one 45) The trigger arrangement makes it hard to get a trigger weld that suits me. Much lighter than all of the top names, and easier to carry. I am always conscious of the muzzle flip when i shoot one of these, espiecally in the short ones, and if I haven't shot one in a long time.

Kahr's reminded me of Glocks, although smaller, but heavier. Mine was a 40, and it hard to hold onto. Very accuratte, but it didn't work well with heavy bullets. I would have kept it, but it went towards a Browning BLR.

Sigs do well in ergonomics and the best of the DAs in accuracy, but I have reservations about their durability. I know of a few operators that have quit Sig after some hard use. They are beautifully made, and have the best double action triggers in the world.

Wather 99's was a dream to carry, and did real well accuracy wise, less than Sig, but better than Beretta. For some reason, it hurt my trigger finger when I shot it. I dropped it like a hot rock, just no fun for me.

The easiest to shoot, is the 1911 format, and the best quality right now in my opinion are the Kimber's. This is the most accuratte, as well, for me. Not sure if its because its the platform, or because its just easier to shoot, but I do shoot it the best. Mine is a stainless, and I had it my truck for a few days continuous, and it had a little surface rust that had to be cleaned, which surprised me a little bit. I prefer a long barrel on 1911s so concealed carry is an issue. A fellow has to watch his magazines, and some hollow-points give it reliability issues. Not nearly as bad as one would think, I happen to be allot more picky in this area, and honestly, I had all of those problems, (all three of them) during the first 50 rounds through the gun. Also, I would advise a fellow do some advanced training with a qualified instructor if he was to carry an 1911, as there are some serious safe handling issues, that aren't there with the double action set.

I like the Springfields, just fine too. Quality control has improved for Springfields lately, and they are really tight. These pistols have reliability issues as well, mostly tied to magazines. Like I said, I'm picky. A buddy of mine that is a dedicated one gun, 1911 guy, prefers a Springfield.

I carry a Beretta for work, and that suits me fine. I practice with it more than the others, and if it was not for the big old grip, I think I would be most satisfied. Big grips tend to cause allot of "low lefting", and that takes a whole lot of concentration to rectify.

So, reckon you have to pick your poison. Reliability, accuracy, ergonomics, ease of carry, etc. All of these above will give a fellow good service, depending on how picky they are about whatever issue.

Good Shooting,

Steve

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have Ruger, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Para-Ordnance, and HK semi-auto pistols. The most accurate, most reliable, most dependable out of the box pistol is by far the HK, hands down. The others can be made to be just as reliable, just as accurate, and just as dependable, but the USP series are the only pistols I have ever owned that need nothing to be done to them to make 100%. From the personal carry USPC and USP to the combat Tactical and the target Match, Expert, and Elite, for their designed purpose they are perfect right out of the box. The combat/carry weapons need nothing done to make them 100% reliable with any ammunition you feed them and have more than acceptable triggers and sights, and the target versions need nothing at all, not even a trigger job. With HK I do believe I have found nirvana.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlemen,

The H & Ks are very very well made, that is a fact. Mine was a USP compact and it did very well. Reliable, accurate, nicely finished, the care and quality control that was placed in this piece was very evident. Of the negatives, there was only a few, and they were minor. I didn't care for how mine pointed, and when i was doing the reflexive work, I wasn't normally statisfied with my hand to stock weld. It was a bit wide for everywhere carry, but that wasn't really that bothersome. I also wasn't real fond of the saftey, as it took me awhile to learn reflexively, and I am of the opinion that if a fellow is going to use an HK, he ought to think about getting shed of everything else in the inventory, as it is just different enough.

You are right, though, these are very good guns, and I know a whole passle of fellows that are real high on them, espeially the Expert.

I know that any or all would give a man real fine service.

Take care,

Steve

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have owned my share of semi handguns, I must say the Glock model 27 is sweet I have had it for 5 years now and love it for conceal carry, shoots rerally well for such a short barrel, When I first saw the glocks, I said it looked like a matel toy ;)...Did not care for the block look, until I fired one, those big blocky sights made it easy to find, kinda grew on me. I have never had a hangup shooting this handgun, breaks down really nice and easy. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
first of all, let me say in a pistol i'm partial to .45. i've had a couple of 9mm and .40 but i just didn't like them as much as the .45. there are plenty of 1911 type guns out there that shoot well, but you better be ready to pay a lot. or pay a little now and a lot to get them to shoot and feed. i've shot HK's in all three calibers and they are fantastic guns in all respects save one: they're not made by Glock. for absolute reliability (read will feed anything after being buried in the mud for a week and run through the dishwasher) and fantastic shootability my money is on Glock. I have two (both .45) and have shot dozens and have never been disappointed. they may take some getting used to since they're all "slick slide" and the Glock trigger is, well, unique, but since i started shooting a Glock i've never had any desire to pick anything else up. incedentally, if the width bothers you, try a Glock 36. it's considerably narrower and some people seem to really prefer it. i've got the narrowest (36) and the widest (21) and love them both but that's just me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I didn't have chance to handle large number of pistols, but for workmanship and accuracy SIG-210 wins, in my opinion, hands down. Apparently, new Heavy Frame should be even better, but considering its cost, I doubt that I will have chance to see one any time soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Kimber 45. LAPD tested them all and choose it for the SWAT team. I can't think of a higher endorsement, except that I have always been a 1911 fan and like the Kimber myself.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
If you aren't concerned about when it was made, a commerical 1911 or commercial pre-war 1911A1 was made the way they're supposed to be made. After spending some time on the 1911FORUM and others, I've come to the conclusion that many of the 199A1 clones made today never would have got past the government inspectors that passed my old Remington-Rand. Yes, the old GI guns are loose, but the right stuff was put in them, the right way.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Springfield Armory

In the early eighties I bought a new Springfield Armory 1911a1 parkerized model, I had it modified to shoot IPSC matches, then the race gun era struck so I bought a new slide and turned it back to stock class, all this to say, I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through it, and if I had to go into battle today and could only take one of my pistols, this would be it, my Glock 22 would be second choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Remington Rand 1911A1,it shoots swc,rn,hp,fn.
from 175 to 250 grains,i have shoot around 5000 bullits
not one probleml.
I have a glock in 45 it have gon ,minimum 20 000 rounds.
it work every time.
My brother have a para in 45.it have gon minimum 10 000.
no problem.And al have bin home loadet on my Lee 1000. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello to Norway

I forgot to say my 1911a1 also shoots any kind of bullet you give it, the only drawback to the Glock is I do not have a barrel to shoot lead bullets with. Please tell me what kind of gun laws you have to deal with to have guns in Norway, I am suprised you can have them at all, here in Texas we have concealed carry permits, so after going to a school, and passing the criminal background check, My wife and I can carry our pistols concealed, except in certain places, do you have anything like this? David :)

·
Banned
585 Posts
How much money do we have to spend? For the Money A Kimber 1911 in .45 is the best overall deal. But if you have the bucks and you want a real high quality 1911 style then you need to talk with Gorden at Big Bore. He custom makes them and boy are they sweet

http://bigborecustom.com/
;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hallo David.

in my contry you can only have guns for hunting or
target shooting.At the age of 16 you can by shootguns or
rifels that are for hunting if you have past a test that
al new hunnters have to take.At the age of 18 you can,
by a semi automatick rifle (ar 15, h&k 91,94,sig550 osv)
if you are member of a pistol klubb who shoots ipsc.
And at the age of 21 ,and ben a memer of a pistol klubb
fore 6 monts you can by pistols and revolvers..
This rules are the samme al over the contry.
Here is some off me guns.

PISTOLS:
Remington rand 1911 45 acp
glock 21 45 acp
Browning h pover from 1940 9mm
walther ppk from 1938 32 acp
browning buckmark 22lr
lar Grizlly 45 win mag

Revolvers:
s&w 629 44mag
colt python 357mag
ruger black hauk 45 colt
uberti chofild 45 colt
s&w 25 45colt

rifles:
winchester m94 45colt
marlin guide gun 45/70
ruger mini 14 ranch 223
rock ola M1 carabin 30 us
springefield M1 garand 30/06
erma werke semi auto 22lr
Thomson M1 45 acp

Shoot guns:
STOUGER s/s 12/70
winchester 120 12/70

AND by nekst friday a colt ar 15 made in 1965 that have never fired a shoot

:D :D BJØRN HUNN

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks

We never realize how good we have it here until we hear all the things others have to go through to have the same priveledges we have. Thanks for taking the time to reply. David Wood Texarkana Texas

·
Banned
585 Posts
Norway, allways protect your rights. Here in Arizona as long as you dont have a criminal record you can purchase pretty much anything with a simple background check and that takes less then 30 minutes.

I have a conceiled carry permit so I just have to show that to buy a revolver or rifle. In Arizona you can also own full auto weapons. It just takes filing the paperwork with the local sherif and sending in the tax money to the ATF.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Zep, Hoe about sending a few of your state legislators to California? We could use a little of their logic!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts