Shooters Forum banner

Best mid-range cartridge(s)

10K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  kciH 
#1 ·
Several of us have been discussing the attributes of the 32 H&R cartridge. Our consensus was that we spend a lot of time talking about the big bores, leaving the mid-range cartridges somewhat underdiscussed. We're hoping a number of experienced folks will help us with this discussion.

I'll kick it off by suggesting the 32-20, 32 H&R, and 30 Carbine fit in this category. That immediately begs the question of "does the 38/357 fit that category also?" Certainly may well be others, particularly custom revolvers. Some may be lucky enough to have a Ruger .256 -- would like to hear about 'em.

My hands-on experience is limited to one afternoon of shooting a S&W 32 H&R that I found to be delightful. In Hamilton Bowen's "Custom Handguns", the author very highly praises the 32-20 capabilities -- nice accurate, flat shooting varmit gun. He also indicate the 30 Carbine competes well with the 32-20 and 32 H&R.

So, please help us out.

Dan

#52 ·
Also suspect our conversation about revolver availability would be different if more emphasis were placed on fun and less on macho? It's also interesting how many times the phrase, "You would think that Ruger" is used in discussions.

Nice to listen to husband and wife having fun shooting.

Dan

#53 ·
Dok, you sure have your finger on the pulse with the observations about: "you would think that Ruger"...
I sure wish I was saying Smith & Wesson. We look through their catalog today and there is not one gun that we would spend money on! What a shame. When we look back to the mid 80's and the fun we had! Good thing we kept most of those guns! There is not likely to be a repeat of those times!
Still, we are now looking dreamy eyed at the Navy Arms, Cimeron and Uberti catalogs...
Well, off for the weekend!

#54 ·
I think that Ruger probably made a bottom line decision on these little guns. I had two of them on order for a long time and never recieved them, so I don't know what the deal was with that. Ruger has been less than reliable supplying some guns, so whatever. I got little-used 4 5/8" a month or so ago and like it a good bit more than the long barrelled one I have (9" ?). For pure fun and long range ability in the 32-20, the Dan Wesson is king. That gun just shoots. I guess it doesn't hurt that it has better sights than the Buckeye Ruger. In the Dan and the Ruger, the 32-20 can be loaded to levels that surpass, by some margin, the light bullet loads in the .357. I wish I could get another stainless Dan Wesson for $300 new like I did the last one, but that was ONE of their "goin' out of business sales". I hope they keep the company afloat, but I'm skeptical because they where putting a lot of hope in their 45 Autos and frankly I don't see beating Kimber at their own game. I say this after buying a Custom Shop Eclipse .45 and selling a well worn Clark I had in my safe and having no regrets. I will attest to the fact that another Dan Wesson I have in .357 Mag, my first centerfire handgun, will shoot as well as a Contender barrel I have in the same caliber. I think that says volumes more than anything else. For all of you out there looking for a nice .32, I'd say forget the Rugers because of the arse-reaming you get when buying them used, and look at a Dan Wesson because they shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.