Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to this forum and new I’m sure to reloading as I only have a year experience and that was with rifle loads. Now with the crazy prices of handgun ammo I am reloading 9mm as I have come across some 5000 cases. My trouble is trying to find the best overall recipe for my ingredients. I’m using CFE pistol with Barry’s 124 gr rn. I do not have a chronograph. I recently loaded 5.3 grains behind 124gr Barry’s rn and it fired perfectly with a slight bit of soot on the outside of the cartridge. This was with and OAL of 1.15 I am familiar with how the oal effects the pressure but without a chrono I can’t test them all for myself. Does anyone have experience with these specific products that can lend some advice? Looking for decent accuracy as I am not shooting comp this is just for a personal stock as the current ammo situation has gone to fecal matter 🤨 I am shooting out of mostly glock variations with 4 -4.5” barrels. Thanks In advance, looking forward to learning and progressing!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I feel your pain. I've loaded lots of Barry's for 9mm and you need to keep the velocity down to max loads for lead bullets or starting loads for jacketed bullets. Don't over crimp them either as the plating is very thin. My 2021 manual lists 1.150 so you're right on. If they don't group drop your powder charge. Good luck!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,456 Posts
Your load data will normally suggest an OAL.

If it doesn't, and these function at the OAL you are using, then I'd say just be happy with it and don't worry too much. Try a few in each gun, if you have more than one in that chambering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel your pain. I've loaded lots of Barry's for 9mm and you need to keep the velocity down to max loads for lead bullets or starting loads for jacketed bullets. Don't over crimp them either as the plating is very thin. My 2021 manual lists 1.150 so you're right on. If they don't group drop your powder charge. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I ha e just enough crimp to remove the flare. Also how would dripping the powder charge help my grouping?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your load data will normally suggest an OAL.

If it doesn't, and these function at the OAL you are using, then I'd say just be happy with it and don't worry too much. Try a few in each gun, if you have more than one in that chambering.
Okay awesome 1.15 is the suggested and works fine I’m just wondering about the CFE powder charge and how to eliminate the slight black soot on the cases? Does this mean that something is off? Or possibly the powder is a slower burning powder?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,996 Posts
Having a slight bit of carbon on the outside of the case in a blowback action is not alarming. Wouldn't worry about it. If the action is functioning perfectly and the cases look normal otherwise, no big deal.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Like Kdub said, that's normal and nothing to worry about. CFE is a little on the faster side as far as burn rate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the feedback, so should I keep my powder at 5.3 I was going to drop to 5.0 because 5.3 seemed on the higher end?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,456 Posts
If you want cases to stay clean, don't shoot them ;)

There's no harm in dropping the powder charge a tad, just make sure they will cycle all the guns you plan to use them in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

There's no harm in dropping the powder charge a tad, just make sure they will cycle all the guns you plan to use them in.

😂 That’s the best advice yet! I think I will stay around 5.1. The 5.3 load seemed really hot it my glock 19

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GhostWarrior,
Drop the load to see if it gets more accurate. Experimenting within the safe zone is what reloading is all about.
yes I agree but as I don’t have a chrono I can’t truly tell. Is dropping from 5.3 to 5.0 to much at one time?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Been loading handgun bullet's since the mid 70's and have never worried about OLL. I just seat the bullet to the crimp grove and run with it. That should be the top grove on the bullet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It is rare for any semi-auto bullet to have a cannelure. Bullets with cannelures typically use a roll crimp (revolvers and rifles) while cases that headspace on the mouth use a taper crimp so no need for the cannelure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts