Votes: 11 45.8%
  • .260 Rem

Votes: 13 54.2%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading up on these two cartridges i am a bit confused.
As a result i now have a few questions about the .260 rem and the 6.5x55 SE, which i hope someone in here with more knowledge than me can answer.

1.) Which has the better FPS / Trajectory?
(The .260 rem is seated in a necked down "7.62x51" casing whereas the 6.5 SE is in a "55" casing. Shouldnt the longer 6.5x55 SE have the most room for gunpowder?).

2.) What are the pros and cons of the 6.5x55 SE and the .260 REM when compared to each other?

3.) What Barrel length is best suited for either cartridge?

I am considering using these in a long range target rifle for targets up to 1200yards.

Rifle: Tikka T3 Super Varmint 24" (considering swapping to a 26" Krieger Barrel).
Chassis: GRS Long Range
Scope: Schmidt & Bender PMII 4-16x50

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Falcon, I voted for the 260Rem but admit it is out of ignorance. I like the 260Rem to the point that I own dies for it but do not own a rifle in that caliber!

Regarding case length: a longer case might mean a little more powder, but sometimes it is the configuration of the case (length and width - volume) that attributes to velocity and accuracy. Compare, just as one example, the 25-06 and the 25WSSM, the latter developed because of its short, stubby configuration, giving a cleaner and more complete burn. Yet the ballistics are nearly identical.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The 260Rem has 53.5 grains of case capacity and operates at ~60,000psi.

The 6.5x55 has 55 grains of case capacity and operates at ~55,000psi.

For all intents and purposes, there is no appreciable difference between the two. I did not vote because it's a coin flip.

Reactions: shane256

·
The Shadow
7,687 Posts
Saker falcon,

Shooter, my ballistic calc and a little Nammo Lapua Oy info.
Products - Lapua
Loaded to 380MPa, or 55,114 psi in USA speak.
The 139gr GB458 Scenar. BC .615 G1
Site claims launch of 2887 fps, I USED 2800 for the calc.
my 1100 ft elevation at 52 degrees.
THAT bullet is still super-sonic at 1400 yards! It is close, traveling at 1209.4 fps. It actually goes sub, at 1500 yards.

My spanking new Hornay manual shows the 260:
140gr A-max BC .585 with a MAX launch of 2700 fps
THAT calculates to going subsonic at 1360 yards.

Not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison, I grant you. HOWEVER, with incredibly similar charge weights, and the Swede running a lower pressure, it will out do the 260, albeit barely.

Most folks who may look down on the Swede, do so because they don't know much about it, OR are used to the SAAMI loads for it.

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Feedback!

Saker falcon,

Shooter, my ballistic calc and a little Nammo Lapua Oy info.
Products - Lapua
Loaded to 380MPa, or 55,114 psi in USA speak.
The 139gr GB458 Scenar. BC .615 G1
Site claims launch of 2887 fps, I USED 2800 for the calc.
my 1100 ft elevation at 52 degrees.
THAT bullet is still super-sonic at 1400 yards! It is close, traveling at 1209.4 fps. It actually goes sub, at 1500 yards.

My spanking new Hornay manual shows the 260:
140gr A-max BC .585 with a MAX launch of 2700 fps
THAT calculates to going subsonic at 1360 yards.

Not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison, I grant you. HOWEVER, with incredibly similar charge weights, and the Swede running a lower pressure, it will out do the 260, albeit barely.

Most folks who may look down on the Swede, do so because they don't know much about it, OR are used to the SAAMI loads for it.
Thank you for good feedback - again. After discarding the .300 WM idea (recoil) - i am strangely drawn towards the 6.5x55 swede.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's about a horse a piece until you get to the 140 gr+ bullet weights. After that the Swede has more room to seat heavy bullets further out (assuming its in a Long Action) without eating into the case capacity.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Here's something else to consider, mainly the cartridge. I voted for the 6.5x55 where your question is concerned, but the 6.5x284 Norma is a little bit of a step up from both the 260 Rem and the 6.5x55 Swe.
Case capacity is measured in water for the three:
260- 53.5 grs
6.5x55 Swe- 57.9 grs
6.5x284 Norma- 68.33 grs

Savage Arms
It needs a 30-06 length action also to take full advantage of it, and that's what Savage builds theirs on.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/57413#

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Considering that the 260rem is still being used in and winning 1000yd matches, the choice is easy.

I own 4 swedes and a 260 and recently bought a big swede [6.5x284] in the T/C venture. IMO, the 6.5s are the best long range guns for the majority of us. Easy on the shoulders and wallets while have truckloads of long range data available.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They are both good cartridges. Loaded to a lower pressure the Swede is about the same.

In a modern bolt action I think the Swede can do better. I'm just getting aquinted with mine. Lots to like: light recoil, showing good promise at the range, apparently good penetration with the 140's on up.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I would vote for the 260 Remington because it was taken off of Jim Carmichals caliber some years ago. It is easy on the shoulder to shoot in tournaments and has great ballistics as does all those 6.5 calibers.

Now for hunting, I like my 6.5/06, which gives also great ballistics down range and also walks the dog, when it comes to velocity and using the 160 grain bullet on the bigger game animals. Long term as far as shooting Long Range in a tournament, you would be better off with the 6.5/284 or the .260 Remington, as they are a bit easier on the shoulder. Thus saving accuracy from the pounding of lots of rounds fired down range during that event.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Last year I rebarreled a Stevens 200. Seriously thought about getting the barrel chambered in 260 Remington. However, I owned several sporterized or still military 6.5 Swedish mausers and was quite happy with how they performed. Just couldn't justify going with a .260 when I was satisfied with the 6.5x55 and was already reloading it. Stayed with the 6.5x55 and rebarreled my Stevens to it. I'm happy with my decision.

However, since then a number of gents I shoot with at club we're members have bought or had a rifle rebarreled to .260 Remington. They are as equally happy with performance of the cartridge.

Kind of six of one or 1/2 dozen of another thing between the two cartridges.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I've had them both and really liked them both. With 120 gr and 125 gr bullets even 130's, there's no difference. case capacity does effect the 140 grain loads, but everything has a trade off. I like the short action with the 24" barrel, it's a very balanced rifle, and fun to hunt with.
My hunting rig is a 260 Rem with a 24" barrel and 1 in 8" twist. I shoot 125 gr Nosler partition or 130 gr Accubonds. I found a Remington Classic short action and turned it into this rifle. Jewell trigger and 4.5-14 scope. For Muleys, Whitetails, and pigs, you can't beat it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
Most folks are aware of my partiality to the "Swede" and other 6.5mm chamberings. Went to the range this week and reconfirmed my bias by shooting a customized 6.5x55 Swede, another in 6.5x257AI and a Brazilian Mauser rebuilt to shoot the 6.5-06. All of them did me proud!

I would say being in Norway that the 6.5x55 (always wondered what the SE with that cartridge means) ammo would be more available.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The choice for me was decided by the rifle that the cartridge was offered in... I wanted a CZ550FS and it was offered in the Swede. If it was in .260 instead, that is what I would be shooting.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like DMS Bandit I have a .284 X 6.5 custom built on a CZ action. Best move I ever made. Good stable round and the accuracy for what I do is amazing. My son took it to Argentina last summer (their winter) and brought home some beautiful results from the Patagonia area. All were 400 yard + kills.
Normbc9

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am looking for a Ruger #1 in 6.5x55 that Lipsey's had a limited run of 250 a few years ago. If I can't find one, I am going to get a Ruger 77 Hawkeye. Both the Swede and .260 are great. My grandfather emigrated to Montana from Sweden to Montana in 1896 so I think it fitting that I need the Swede.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts