Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought another 35 with surplus income tax &#36. What would be the best choice of Powder for 200 gr. loads? The only load I used in the past was 38 gr. of IMR 4895 with 200 gr Rem. I understand there are better choices?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Tony,

H322 comes to mind and also AA2200. Hodgdon has some good loads listed for H322 in their manual. Look in the Sillywet loads section. I've also used R7 but the velocity is not as good as H322.

I'm going to do some work with the AA2200 soon as I have a bunch of it now.

Check out loadswap too.

FWIW

Regards

:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Tony:
  I can go up to 37.5 grains of IMR 3031 with the 200 grain Core-Lokt, a Winchester WLR primer and a Remington case.  I tried H322 but you can't fill the case with it and it's position sensitive. IMR 4320 wouldn't be bad except that my rifle's point of impact shifts about 4" just as I get up to speed.  This shift happens about the 34 grains point with 3031, so I'm well above it with the 37.5 load. I figure that if I use 4320, I'll see that monster buck some cold morning, the load will perform like it's a grain short and I'll shoot under it. I haven't tried any other powders since the 3031 load is fast and accurate in my rifle. I've got 16 types of smokeless and 3 types of black here and I don't want any more.

Your rifle might be the opposite of mine.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Tony...After playing with the great old favorite .35 Remington for many years and trying all kinds of powder combonations...I've come to only two powders with a 200 gr jacketed bullet..37 grs of IMR 3031 @ 2,080 '\" from 20" barrel and 34 grs Reloader 7 @ 2180 '\" from a 20" barrel.
Another interesting load is 30 grs of Re 7 and a Beartooth 185 gr FNGC for a nice fast cast bullet load.
Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Don't overlook AA 2015!  It's proven to be a superb performer over a wide range of bullet weights for us over the years.   Very consistent, not position, or temperature sensitive and quite predictable in pressure indicators as you work up loads!

FWIW!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you all for all the powder advice. I would like to ask Marshall about loads with 200 gr. Rem bullets and AA 2015? This sounds worth a try. Do you have any loads you would care to share with me?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts