Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which mail order places had the best prices on the 444 and 45/70 projectiles.. Looks like Cabelas and midway are about a dollar apart on most bullets... (expensive these days) I did find a deal on Nosler 44 240 250 count for 39.99.. I have a marlin with the micro groove bore so I'm thinking I may have to stick to jacket bullets in the marlin 444.. B2B

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Natchez Shooters Supply, Midsouth Shooters Supply and Getz and Sons are some that I have used. Now days you will find that most of the dealers are very close in price unless one is having a sale.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Which mail order places had the best prices on the 444 and 45/70 projectiles.. Looks like Cabelas and midway are about a dollar apart on most bullets... (expensive these days) I did find a deal on Nosler 44 240 250 count for 39.99.. I have a marlin with the micro groove bore so I'm thinking I may have to stick to jacket bullets in the marlin 444.. B2B
You can always try cast bullets with reduced velocity loads. There's no law says you have to shoot full power loads in a levergun

·
Registered
339 Posts
Whats wrong with Micro-groove? you could not give me a 444 with ballard rifling, Our Micro-groove 444's shoots Hardcast bullets better then jacketed, you are on the right web site to learn a few things about the 444 and the 1-38 MG barrels. Look at the Tech Notes for the 3 parts on 444's.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/17
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/19
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/28

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Ranch Dog bullets were designed to be used in the Marlin rifles. The aversion to micro groove rifling shooting cast well is a myth. Micro groove barrels can shoot cast just fine. The trick is using the right alloy and the right size of bullet.

Most of the Marlins like to shoot bullets in the neighborhood of .432".

Even if you have to buy your lead, you can make a whole bunch of bullets with 50# of lead.

I sold all my jacketed bullet stockpile in 44 caliber after I started shooting cast.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy. I know I'm on the right track, and right web sight for the 444 marlin. I have done some casting of bullets over the years. Mostly for pistols and a few 30 cal rifles... but I've never owned a Marlin Micro Groove gun until a few months ago.. so I've have read long time ago the micro groove had leading problems, but I'd guess with the right alloy and lube etc it would shoot well... I have a few bullets molds in 44 cal mostly for the 44 mag pistol. I have always used straight wheel weights.. in my casting.. I'll look over the notes...on the 444 Thanks B2B

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Add some 50/50 bar solder to your wheelweights. I do about a pound to 12-13 pounds wheelweights. You can buy it at your local plumbing supply house. And if you have one, use a gas check bullet, if not you can seat one under the bullet. JUst make sure it's firmly seated against the bullet base. I stick em in the case, cup side up, then seat the bullet on top of it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,716 Posts
Welcome. It's not, if it's a Winchester. Micro-Groove is a Marlin form of rifling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The most accurate levergun I own is a Marlin mirco-groove in 44-40(modern 1894) I only shoot cast bullets in it.I sized bullets .002 Over bore size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts