Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is a good progressive loader. The one I personaly have been eyeing is a Dillon 550B. What concernes me about this press is that it looks like you have to get different shell holders for each caliber that are much more expensive than just a regular shell holder for a single stage press.

I currently own a Bonanza co-axal press that I have had great results with for 40 years.

Give me your thoughts on progressive presses.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
820 Posts
Lots of info out there on that particular question. If someone was going to "give" me the one of my choice it would be the RCBS Pro 2000. Not because it's the best, (it's in the top three) but because I like a couple of It's features better. But... I wouldn't sell my two Ammomaster Auto's to buy one..top three for quality, RCBS,Dillon,Hornady, in no particular order, choice made by individual press features. Cost leader...Lee Loadmaster.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
Dillon. The cost of any additional shellholders and such will pale in comparison to the number of rounds you can load, and how versatile the machine is.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
. . . I personaly have been eyeing is a Dillon 550B. What concernes me about this press is that it looks like you have to get different shell holders for each caliber that are much more expensive than just a regular shell holder for a single stage press. . .Steve
You have to consider that you are actually getting four shell holders when you purchase a Dillon RL550B shellplate so of course it will be costlier than purchasing just one shellholder. The increased production you get with a progressive press in time saved will more than make up for the increased cost of a shellholder. The Dillon is a well engineered piece of equipment and carries a great lifetime warranty. IMHO, you will be happy owning one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do you plan on loading handgun, or rifle, or both? In what quantities will you be reloading? The RL550 is a fine piece of equipment and I would recommend it for rifle or both, and even for medium quantities of handgun only.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be doing rifle and pistol.

30.06, 30/30, .30 cal, 45/70, 22 hornet, 38 special, 9mm, .45acp, etc.....

·
Registered
820 Posts
For the application you're looking at, (loading as many rifle calibers as handgun) it would be hard to beat the Dillon 550b. A friend of mine has two and they are a fine piece of equipment. The manual indexing would be a benefit for reloading rifle calibers I would think. Also the fact that it's a four station press isn't really an issue as most, if not all, other 5 station presses are really only 4 because they have a propriatary station for either powder charge or in the case of the loadmaster, primer seating, so in fact are only 4 station presses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also reload for 6 different rifle calibers and 4 handgun on a Dillon 550. Great warranty and customer service. No problems with the machine itself, just me. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Steve!

Bought my Dillon 550B when it cost about half of what one goes for now. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

Don't worry too much about the caliber conversion kits. The Dillon folks are eager to work with you on that. For example, If you buy a kit for the .30/30 and the .45 ACP, you then have what you need for the .30-06 as well. (I can't find my caliber conversion chart right now, or I'd provide you with a bit more info on the cartridges you mentioned.) The point is, you don't always have to buy the whole kit -- Dillon is willing to sell you individual parts if that's all you need.

With the 550B I can comfortably load about 500 pistol rounds per hour.

Can't give you a good figure for rifle rounds because I break those up into several steps. First I do a full-length re-size on all my cases. Then tumble them to remove the sizing lube. Then I go on with the rest of the steps. If I had to guess, the net loading rate is probably about 200 rounds per hour. By the way, my first one-hole group from my '06 came from ammo loaded this way on my 550B!

If you do buy the 550B, buy a bunch of tool heads as well. Makes life so much easier.

Hope this helps!
-Joe

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
If you have the money, dillon is top of the line.

My progressive reloader was a RCBS piggyback that sat on top of my rock chucker. This gave me the best of both worlds. In just a few seconds the press could be converted from progressive to single stage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The one I personaly have been eyeing is a Dillon 550B.

Thanks
Steve

Dillon's 550B is my new favorite reloading machine and I've owned an embarrassingly wide variety of reloading equipment.

Yes, the Dillon is high quality with a great warranty but what gave the 550B an immunity against my tendancy to sell equipment I've gotten bored with is the fact that the 550B is not auto indexing. A four station, manual indexing press it just about perfect for any reloading I do. I can use it as a pseudo turret press when single loading bottle-neck rifle rounds or crank out lots of pistol rounds in true progressive fashion. Since it doesn't auto index it's super quick to adjust your dies or powder measure since the shell will stay at the same station until you choose to index it

It's a very nice press in other less talked about ways too, such as; the leverage and angle of the operating lever doesn't cause you to lift your bench, if not bolted down, when seating a primer as can happen with some presses. Also, the newer style powder measure linkage with it's positive pullback lever is the only powder measure I have ever, ever found that will meter Unique powder perfectly. If I adjust it for 7.0gr of Unique I will get 7.0gr with every actuation of the measure- it just doesn't vary. Extruded powders like H or IMR-4895 will meter with no more than 0.2gr total variation, that's 1/10gr + or -

Good luck,

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am a new Lee LoadMaster owner . Check my post at

http://www.shootersforum.com/handloading-equipment/16465-lee-loadmaster-2.html

I know of nothing wrong with the 550 . But the auto-index , economical case feeder and primer tray system on the LM is a deal maker for me . And I have used a Lee disk powder measure for years .

The LM is cheaper to buy and caliber conversion is cheaper . Another deal maker .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been using the Hornady Auto LnL Progressive...I thought it was the best for the money..and when I bought it, I received 1000 bullets also for free!...
I had a little trouble with it near the beginning, but, I've long gotten everything working perfect!...
I love this Press,,, It has 5 stations which is more than some of the others.
It uses a shell Plate that costs about 28. dollars..most of them work for several calibers....like 9mm/.38 Super.......Etc.. same basic case head!
There is a case feeder and also a bullet feeder available for more money..I have neither, but maybe someday?
This Press is VERY Simple to Operate and to work on!
I just saw them for sale at Midsouth Shooters Supply for Less than I paid for mine over two years ago!!
Terry

P.S. These presses are Guaranteed for Life...and I've received parts for them for Free!..and the Customer Service is Great!!...
I'm sure the Dillion No B.S. Guarantee is as Good!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Check my post today about my bad experience with the Hornaday. "P.S. These presses are Guaranteed for Life...and I've received parts for them for Free!..and the Customer Service is Great!!..." Directly opposite of what I found. CS charged me for springs that broke the first week and then didn't send me what I paid for. After 2-3 calls I gave up. My brother had good luck with Dillon, so I went with it.

I use the Dillon. FYI: 45 acp, 30-06, 308, etc use same shell holder. Several other "multiple use" shell holders. For convenience, I went whole hog. I have separate powder measures, "heads" (the base plate for the dies?), all set up, so all I do is change two pins and the shell holders.==I shoot CAS, so I load a lot of 45 Colt and 38 sp.

ps: I lost the small priming cup and spring. The CS guy suggested I get a whole new arm, so that changing from small to large primers would be faster and easier. Both arrived in 2 days, no charge, priority mail.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check my post today about my bad experience with the Hornaday. "P.S. These presses are Guaranteed for Life...and I've received parts for them for Free!..and the Customer Service is Great!!..." Directly opposite of what I found. CS charged me for springs that broke the first week and then didn't send me what I paid for. After 2-3 calls I gave up. My brother had good luck with Dillon, so I went with it.

I use the Dillon. FYI: 45 acp, 30-06, 308, etc use same shell holder. Several other "multiple use" shell holders. For convenience, I went whole hog. I have separate powder measures, "heads" (the base plate for the dies?), all set up, so all I do is change two pins and the shell holders.==I shoot CAS, so I load a lot of 45 Colt and 38 sp.

ps: I lost the small priming cup and spring. The CS guy suggested I get a whole new arm, so that changing from small to large primers would be faster and easier. Both arrived in 2 days, no charge, priority mail.

The LM also uses the same shellplate for multiple calibers . As you stated .45 ACP also fits .30-06 , .308 and all the other rifle calibers that have the same head diameter as .30-06 . I just do not happen to be loading all those other calibers on the LM .

Every caliber change has required another shellplate , so far . Plus another 5 hole turret . Well , if you are going to dance , you have to pay the piper .

If I recall , , when / if I get around to loading .45 LC & .44 Special / .44 Mag on the LM , I THINK they use the same shellplate ?

So , it works out , it is maybe not cost effective to convert over to the LM for low volume calibers . At least I have most / all the dies needed for the calibers I load for .

I am more or less buying a universal de-priming die for each turret .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
117 Posts
What do you guys think is a good progressive loader. The one I personaly have been eyeing is a Dillon 550B. What concernes me about this press is that it looks like you have to get different shell holders for each caliber that are much more expensive than just a regular shell holder for a single stage press.

I currently own a Bonanza co-axal press that I have had great results with for 40 years.

Give me your thoughts on progressive presses.

Thanks
Steve
I have only used one. I used a friends Dillon 550. I thought it was very nice but I didn't need to upgrade. Well I finally needed to upgrade at least for a few calibers so I went with the Dillon 550 last week. It is a great press and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do the Blue

I can't imagine not having my Dillon 550 . I load rifle and pistol on mine , in fact the only thing I use my single stage for is sizing and installing gas checks on cast boolits. Kind of a waste of a good Herters press.
When loading for rifle and weighing every powder charge , it's still way faster than single stage.
IMHO the Big Blue is well worth the few extra bucks . It makes reloading fun , not a laboring task you need to do to be able to shoot . Dillons no BS warranty is just that ....just a phone call and you'll have the new part within a day or two. With the extra toolheads ,which I highly recommend , changing caliber is just a matter of minutes .
Enjoy !!!

Go big or go home, I say :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've used the Hornady LNL for a couple years now. It's problems don't seem too different than the other presses problems. Once you learn the machine and get it set up corretly it will run just fine.

I load several pistol and rifle calibers. I only do 223 and 30 carbine on the LNL. I use a single stage for most of my small batch rifle bullets. Pistol is no problem in the LNL.

There is a good review of Dillon Lee and Hornady progressives:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been loading about 50 years now and I have used 3 different progressives and the Dillon wins hands down. It is easy to set up and change and seems very well thought out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts