Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I can afford a Leupold, so I was looking at some of the cheaper ones out there that would make it through a few seasons before going south. The ones I have looked at price wise are: Redhead, BSA, Tasco, and Bushnell. Are any of these worth taking to the house? This is the first time I have purchased a scope, so any help is appreciated. My daughter and I will be using it for deer season. I have looked at the 3-9x40 and 50 models.

I also picked up a set of see through mounts at a gun show for $3. Are the see through style any good or should I go with the standard mounts? Thanks for the help.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have used both the Cabelas and Bass Pro brand scopes with excellent results. I have had both for several years without any problems. Good quality with acceptable optics at a reasonable price. You should be able to find a 2-7 or 3-9 for under $150. That is about as cheap as I would want to put on decent rifle.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
Even though owning mostly Leupold and Burris scopes, must admit to owning a couple of BSA and Simmons, too. The BSA's have always been dependable, even on high power centerfire rifles. Can't judge the Redheads (Bass Pro Shop?) as I've never owned one. A fellow board member, RanchDog, swears by the lower priced Bushnell's he has mounted on some big bore leverguns.

Your stock on the levergun is conformed for low sighting through the open sights installed. Putting on see-through mounts makes you extend your neck like a turkey to find the field of view in the scope, eliminating a good cheek weld that's needed for best sighting and accuracy. Most folks never use the open sights after mounting a scope anyway, so to me the best would be to mount as low as possible. The 50mm objective lense housing will call for higher mounts that the 40mm. Actually, if you could find a 3x9x36 scope, that would be best of all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For the price, you just can not beat a Bushnell.
Nikon also offers a wide ranging price category, and they produce quality glass as well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Usually, good and cheap do not exist in optics. However, buying good optics at a cheap price is a winner. Go to www.natchezss.com and click on their February or March sale flier. Click on optics and go the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32. It usually sells for $199 but is on sale for $119.

Then ditch the see-thru mounts and get a set of Leupold Rifleman (Weaver-type) low rings and mount. The are inexpensive, so get them when you order the scope so you can save on shipping.

A low mounted 2-7x32 is just about perfect for a lever action 30-30. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't think I can afford a Leupold, so I was looking at some of the cheaper ones out there that would make it through a few seasons before going south. The ones I have looked at price wise are: Redhead, BSA, Tasco, and Bushnell. Are any of these worth taking to the house? This is the first time I have purchased a scope, so any help is appreciated. My daughter and I will be using it for deer season. I have looked at the 3-9x40 and 50 models.

I also picked up a set of see through mounts at a gun show for $3. Are the see through style any good or should I go with the standard mounts? Thanks for the help.
Plain truth is you just do not need all that magnification with a 30-30, when I finally scoped mine I used a Leupold Vari X II 2x7 32 because it was a spare. If I could find one, I would but an older Redfield 1x4 with a Germen post. Most of my life I shot the 30-30 and 35 Remington Marlins with open sights. My eyes now are not holding a clear focus. As to power, you just don't need anything above 2x normally. The 3x9 40mm is for a long distance rig, such as 30-06, 270, 257 Roberts and such, not a lever action cartridge. Heck, I think the 2x7 is perfect for a 308 used in broken country, in fact, on my 3x9, I hardly ever set it above 6 power, so the 2x7 would do fine with a 40mm bell.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Bushnell

Ive always mounted either nikkon or leupold scopes on all my rifles but because of recent changes in my life like kids a new house and a wife in school i cant afford what i use to. I got a bushnell banner scope and dollar for dollar i dont think they can be beat. Its a 3x9x40 for $69.00 and it comes with bullet drop compensating turrets. I dont think ill ever need the turrets but im very pleased with the scope. good luck hope it helps and maybe some day we will both have enough money for a swarofski.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too prefer Leupold or Nikon, but have a Weaver "Classic" 2.5 that is an excellent choice for a 30/30. I've had mine on a .375 H&H, .35 Rem, and is now on a 444 XLR (over a 7 year period). It's light weight, has a nice field of view, good eye relief, and it is a rugged piece of equipment. Most "inexpensive" scopes will work on a 30/30 because the caliber is "mild", but most will loose their adjustments over time and compromise reliability (at the wrong time) to present a "bright" view while scraficing eye relief or field of view. IMHO Weaver "Classics" are equal to Leupold in the reliability department. (I do own Bushnell, BSA, Redfield, B&L, and have owned a host of other brands over the years finding some "specimens" very reliable, regardless of their brand name.) However, I don't usually trust them when on an expensive hunt, a hunt where I have drawn a tag I've waited years to obtain, or a hunt where I might finally get that "monster" buck in range.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am I correct that the bigger the objective lens, the better the low light visibility? My dad has an old K3 Weaver and it isn't great for shots right at dusk. I picked up a 336 with the see through mounts at a pawn shop and looked it over and liked the way the scope was mounted higher, so I think that part will be OK. With the see through mounts, I think A 50mm will fit, but don't know if I want one that big. Still looking. I found a BSA Huntsman 3x9x40 for $120 that the shop owner uses himself. It was very bright and clear, but had to be just perfect to see through. The $50-$100 specials at Wal-Mart are sealed and you can't look through them.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,507 Posts
You will be VERY happy with Leatherwoods. Priced with Tasco's and a MUCH better quality scope.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Most of my rifles are wearing Leupolds but my 30-30 is wearing a Weaver K2.5 and it is a perfect match. I have had alot of experience with newer Weavers and it has been very positive. You can get the 2x7 for around $150.

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
Most of my rifles are wearing Leupolds but my 30-30 is wearing a Weaver K2.5 and it is a perfect match.
I agree! I usually snap up old K models at gun shows yard sales and such. I've never given more than $40, generally $25. If the glass is clear you're good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive had very poor service from "see thru" mounts, can't keep them tight. Usually the higher quality scopes is money well spent. If you purchase a lower priced scope get at least a 2 3/4 inch eye relief.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Best scope I ever had was a Kasnar 4 power with a thick post and crosshair. The scope weighed 9 oz. and was clear and bright. As I remember in my youth you could shoot the eye out of a dinosaur at 300 yds. with a 4 power. Now we require scopes that can double as a radio telescope.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Hello Bud and welcome to the forum! This particular thread seems to be a bit outdated, but I certainly hope you continue to join in on others, whether old or new! Me, I know that a fella named Jack O'Connor used a scope of no more than 4X for most all (all?) his big game hunting only substituting it with a Weaver 2, 2.5 or 3X as he saw fit.

Good enough for Jack, good enough for me as well!!:D

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get ahold of An older weaver,, mine is a K2.5--60 , great scopes and all you need for 30-30 shooting.
Just my 2c ,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Get rid of see-through mounts. First and biggest problem is that it mis-positions your head to use the scope in the first place. Second is the idea that, with a scope mounted, you might want to use iron sights. What happens, because I have seen it more than once, the person has too large a scope in the first place, cranked up to 9, 12, or even 16X magnification, then can't find the deer 30 feet away. By the time they reposition for the iron sight, the deer is gone.

My 30-30 carries an old Tasco 1.75 X 5 on standard mount. Set at low power, the rifle snaps up, eye aligns with the scope and I can pick up anything from 20 ft to 100 yds. A good 2X7 is the biggest variable I would recommend and as noted above, a low fixed power scope is the best deal for the money and all you and your daughter will need.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am stuck on Nikon, IMO the glass is just as fine as the germans glass.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Get rid of see-through mounts. First and biggest problem is that it mis-positions your head to use the scope in the first place. Second is the idea that, with a scope mounted, you might want to use iron sights. What happens, because I have seen it more than once, the person has too large a scope in the first place, cranked up to 9, 12, or even 16X magnification, then can't find the deer 30 feet away. By the time they reposition for the iron sight, the deer is gone.

My 30-30 carries an old Tasco 1.75 X 5 on standard mount. Set at low power, the rifle snaps up, eye aligns with the scope and I can pick up anything from 20 ft to 100 yds. A good 2X7 is the biggest variable I would recommend and as noted above, a low fixed power scope is the best deal for the money and all you and your daughter will need.
You're right Bill,
There's no either or.
Either you're gonna use a scope or not.
With practice, the low power scope is the fastest way of coming on target.
The tang sight may be quicker, but it loses due to no magnification.
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts