Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a gunsmith apprentice and I am looking to increase my knowledge on single action revolvers. I have heard about "single action sixguns" by John Taffin and "sixguns" by Elmer Keith. I am just having some trouble finding copies of these. Are there any other books that could be recommended.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I am a gunsmith apprentice and I am looking to increase my knowledge on single action revolvers. . . . Are there any other books that could be recommended.
Thanks for the help
IMO, "The Colt Single Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2" by Jerry Kuhnhausen and published by Heritage-VSP Gun Books Box 887, McCall, ID, 83638, is written in far more depth for the gunsmith than either of the two gunbooks you have quoted. Although titled as Volumes 1 & 2, it is actually a single 9 1/4" X 6 1/2", 255 page soft bound manual intended for gunsmiths. Retail price is about $35 and is often available at gunshows or directly from the publisher. Check it out and let us know if that isn't exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will check that out it sounds good, I am end up getting it as well but it does not sound exactly like what I want. I am looking more for a history than a manual. I would like to learn about more than just the Colt, I know it was a popular gun but there where many other and I would love to know about as many as possible. I want to be one of those people who "knows every thing about cowboy guns"

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Thank you I will check that out it sounds good, I am end up getting it as well but it does not sound exactly like what I want. I am looking more for a history than a manual. I would like to learn about more than just the Colt, I know it was a popular gun but there where many other and I would love to know about as many as possible. I want to be one of those people who "knows every thing about cowboy guns"
Then you want to stay with the books that you've posted. Might suggest you go to Amazon.com and look up single action revolvers and also look up books written by Mike Venturino. Mike is a western gun writer similar to John Taffin. Best wishes.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I would include
Pistolsmithing by George Nonte
Home gunsmithing the Colt S.A.A. Revolver by Loren Smith

I left this off, my wife says it should be added.
1975 edition of the Gun Gigest, page 176. The article by Donald M. Simmons is Single Action Revolvers and the safety revolution. If you are going to work on single actions you need this article. There are many more in the Gun Digest that are useful. Latly the Gun Digest on CD has been available for about $50.00 and it is a bargin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I have ordered a few books and put the rest on a wish list with amazon. I should have plenty of reading material for a while.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Here are some small things to keep in mind.
First, don’t overlook your libraries inter-library loan program. This will allow you to “road test” a book before buying it.
Don’t overlook Google Books or Scribd. There are a number of good gunsmithing books on both of these sites available for download free. Cruise through this book forum and you will find more than a few links to good gunsmithing books. It is better to have the book but to start, a free e-copy is a beginning.
If you are going to be a gunsmith you need to be putting your money into tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts