Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
The 45 colt case is tapered.  Because of this I am thinking that a regular steel sizing die will produce the best resized dimentions for proper case fit in the chamber and bullet grip.  Won't a carbide sizer reduce the base of the case too much making a sloppy chamber fit?  The loose fit plus repeated expansion should reduce brass life.

Am I off base on this?

I am getting ready to purchase a 45 colt lever gun and want to get the best equipment for my hand loads.

Thanks,
Jeff

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

I am getting ready to purchase a Win. 94 in 45 colt, which of course has only one chamber.  I won't know if the chamber is tight or loose until I fire the first rounds and measure the case diameter above the web.  People have said that Win. chambers are a little wide.  I read that because the colt 45 rim is smaller than normal, it is probably a good idea to lube the cases even with carbide dies to insure extraction from the sizer.

I'm starting to think that I should get a RCBS steel die set with an additional carbide sizer.  Neck size with the carbide and full length size every 3 to 4 reloads with the steel sizer.

I am intending to load up to the 30,000 cup level with heavy cast bullets.

Jeff

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have my slightly used Win. 94 trapper in 45 Colt. I got a small bag of 50 Starline brass. They are not to industry spec. There is no taper at all. It is .474" top to bottom. After firing in the Win., the base measures .484"! I started thinking GLOCK chamber. After case lube and sizing in a RCBS steel sizer, the base measured .481" and the neck area .473". With new .452" cast bullet seated, the neck area is .476". The case fits nicely in the chamber.

What is going on? I think the Win. chamber is just fine. The RCBS dies are just fine. The Starline brass is very undersized at the base and seems to be designed for carbide dies. Are other brands of 45 Colt brass like this? I am going to have to go out and measure some other brands.

.010" of expansion each firing with carbide dies is just not right. .003" expansion using the RCBS steel dies seems much more reasonable.

What do you think?

Jeff

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the Lee FCD leave a shiny mark near the base? I'm wondering how much sizing it actually does. Would you measure the loaded cases and let us know what the finished dimensions are?
Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.