Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question from a french guy! if I want to live in USA, which is the best state(s) for a shooter/hunter regarding: guns laws, CCW, best shooting ranges, and, generally speaking, the population which is more pro-guns?
Thanks in advance for your opinion!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
If, you are more concerned with hunting than just shooting, I'd have to say Montana would rank #1, in my book. They have (mostly) sensible gun laws and lots of great opportunities to hunt big game and varmints.

However, I think you would find most any state in the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc.) very gun and hunter-friendly, since so many folks around here own and use guns for both shooting and hunting.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Rule out IA, IL in the Midwest.

CCW is county issued in IA. Depends on the personal belief of the local Sheriff. You can have one for years in the county you presently reside, move to another county and be denied. Also IA does not recognize any other states permits. IL is not easy to own a gun. MN is very liberal, but seems to not bother gun owners much. Don't know about their CCW laws. MO has a CCW that is expensive but fairly easy to obtain. They do have aconvoluted rule that businesses can post a sign that makes it illegal to carry on their property.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
IMO, Arizona by far with CCW a "will issue" after passing the State's training course.
A lot of states have that, here in MI it is shall issue providing they don't have a criminal history with certain crimes on it. We also have the castle doctrine where there is no duty to retreat in your home from an intruder and protection from both criminal and civil liabilities.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
Same in Ohio. We also have the exemption for businesses or other private property to post signs prohibiting carry on their premises. I worked at a place where I noticed one had been put up on the main entrance one day. I asked the office manager why the "rob me" sign had been put up? She didn't understand. I explained the main function a "No Guns" sign served was to alert armed robbers this was a location they could safely enter unopposed and take what they wanted. She said the big boss had asked her to put the sign up, but a few days later it was gone. I presume she explained my point to him.

There is a computer store not far from me where all the employees carry openly. Next door to it in the strip mall is an Asian food quick carry out with a "No Guns" sign. Guess which one has been robbed at gunpoint three times while the other has never been robbed?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Washington State also has a shall issue CCW law, no classes required but the west half of the state leans far left. East of the cascade mountains is much more center-right. As for hunting Western WA is not so good. eastern is better. Montana and Idaho are better still if hunting and shooting are your passtimes. Western WA couties, King and snohomish have limited the access to the public lands by blocking or failing to repair damaged forest service roads on a massive scale. in the county that I live there is only one locaiton still legal to drive your vehicle to and shoot and it is only one gravel pit. But it is in the cross hairs of the county commissioners too. soon there will be no place you can legally get a truck to that you can target shoot here, even though this county has a lot of mountianous, wilderness areas. If I were relocating to the US I would pick Montana I think.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Louisiana has a CCW shall issue policy also. We also have a state constitution that allow citizens to transport firearms in there car concealed even if they do not have CCW permit as long as they don't carry it concealed on their person on leaving the vehicle. Lots of good hunting and fishing here. We also speak a lot of FRENCH here to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If, you are more concerned with hunting than just shooting, I'd have to say Montana would rank #1, in my book. They have (mostly) sensible gun laws and lots of great opportunities to hunt big game and varmints.

However, I think you would find most any state in the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc.) very gun and hunter-friendly, since so many folks around here own and use guns for both shooting and hunting.
I beg to differ, Wisconsin will not offer a CWP and hasn't in many years. I don't look for it to change soon.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I beg to differ, Wisconsin will not offer a CWP and hasn't in many years. I don't look for it to change soon.
No, but the man asked about shooting AND hunting...Wisconsin has some very fine hunting opportunities.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
If I were to leave South Dakota I'd pick Montana or Wyoming. Plenty of hunting oppertunities for lots of different game and easy to live with gun laws.

South Dakota isn't bad, lots of public access land for hunting and shooting. CWP with just a background check and nominal fee. Reciprocity agreements with all states on our north and western borders.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,121 Posts
You can hunt in Texas, 24x7, 365 days out of the year..... always pigs that need to be shot!

·
Banned
397 Posts
I live in New Jersey, but Vermont is the State you want.
You can carry a pistol open or concealed without possessing
a permit of any kind. There is hunting and fishing and skiing
there, and you are pretty close to Quebec where they speak
French and have good looking women.

Zeke

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
You can hunt in Texas, 24x7, 365 days out of the year..... always pigs that need to be shot!
Mike, isn't it a law in Texas that you have to carry a sidearm, unless you're going to church? :cool:

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
You should probably also carry while going to church... there was a shooting that ended at a church a few years ago in Colorado.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lucky Americans. Well, most of you I guess. Here in Canada we have to jump through hoops just to take a handgun to the range.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,121 Posts
Mike, isn't it a law in Texas that you have to carry a sidearm, unless you're going to church? :cool:
Ought to be. I carry in church, too.......

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,522 Posts
Colorado isn't too bad. After moving here in '97 I had to learn a few things but I adapted. Not nearly as liberal as Montana, but very close.

Adding Idaho and Wyoming to the list, I'd have to rank in this order:

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming then Colorado

RJ

·
Banned
48 Posts
Just personal preference Wyoming,Montana,Texas,Idaho,then Colorado.This would be my ranking system.Texas does have that one big kicker,pigs NEED to be shot.That would be hard to turn down.24/7 365,sounds good when do people in Texas find time to work?HAHA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts