Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy some molds for casting bullets for two of my handguns. So what bullet weight and styles or molds would you use for hunting with the 44 special and 45 colt . Both Ruger blackhawks, actually the Lipseys I just picked up today. But I have been using XTP's for hunting with 45 colt but I need to start casting for it due to costs of bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
I've put a 300gr. WFNGC through a bison with a .45 Colt, so that would be my vote. Good luck....

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Yes, the WFN fron LBT.
You may want to buy a selection of different weights ans diameters f*** Marshall and try a few things first. When you have found the bullet you like best then buy the mold.
The two main things are gas check or no - I think you need the gc. Then which bullet weight you shoot best.

·
38,372 Posts
MikeG care to share?Load info.
A heapin' helpin' of H110 :D

Actually, it was WW296, but that sounded better. Anyway... you do have to work up loads, and I've since switched to surplus WC820, but many of the reloading manuals have "Ruger Only" loads in the 30,000 CUP range for the full sized Blackhawks, Bisleys, and old (no longer in production) Vaqueros. You DON'T want to do such things in the current small-frame Vaquero....

Hodgdon, Speer, etc...... the data is out there. Should run 1200 - 1300fps at the muzzle depending on the gun and barrel length with 300 grain bullets. There are also specialty ammo makers such as Buffalo Bore and Garrett (?) and Cor-Bon that have similar offerings.

If you get a Bisley then there's no worries and they handle the recoil better, my opinion. Anyway, I used a stainless 5.5" Bisley on the buff, and it's a combination I can recommend.

They'll also go through a pig, lengthwise, and that takes the steam out of them, quick!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info on the LBT website. I figured WFN would be the choice. As far as my loads go Mike I keep my 45 bisley at about 1200fps with 250 gr XTP and the 44 special I figure keeping it between 1000 - 1100 fps. What ever is comfortable.

·
38,372 Posts
You'll find they (cast bullets) do well even down to 1,000fps or so muzzle velocity. Have fun.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
For my 44 special loads, I like the old 250 gr Keith type swc. I have become a fan of Power Pistol with this bullet. I can get right at 1000 fps without going over standard pressure.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I wouldn't use 300 grain bullets or H110 powder in your .44 Special Blackhawk. It is a meduim frame revolver and is unsuitable for heavy loads that would not be recommended in a Colt SAA. A 250 grain WFN or SWC bullet at about 1000 fps would be a good load in your .44 Spl. You can use 7.5 grains of Unique to do that

Your .45 Blackhawk has a heavier frame and can be used with the ''Ruger Only" loads with H110 powder and heavier bullets listed by various sources.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.