Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently aquired an older plain jane winchester 670 in 30-06. it has a 22" barrel and a cheap scope 3-9x that is coming off soon for a better one. my question is what is a good bullet for deer and what weight? the guy i bought it from swore by the 180gr win. supreme ballistic silver tip. he gave me a box with three left and said they have been good for him with everyone he hit being DRT. my thoughts are the 150 would shoot flatter and 180 hit harder. what is the effective range of the 30-06? most places i hunt will be 150yds max but there is a pipeline that will stretch that a bit. any advice is greatly appreciated. also im a newbie to this site so hello all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome aboard. Assuming the rifle shoots fine, the 30-06 will kill farther than you can shoot. 150-165gr would be most common for 30s on deer, though some do go for the 180s and ole 220s. I'm never caught up on premium bullets for deer. I've never had to reach past 400yds, and deer are easy to kill. Hollow points or soft points/soft point boat tails do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

There are a lot of opinions about the best deer bullet in a .30-06. I prefer the 150 grain bullet and others swear by the 165 or the 180 grain. It depends on what you prefer, where you hunt and what your rifle shoots well. It is hard to go wrong with any loading in the .30-06.

The .30-06 will shoot a long way and you will do well at 150 yards with either the 150, 165 or 180 grain bullet. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i bought a box of the cheap federal 150s and they are coke can accurate at 100yds from a car hood. i havent had time to sit on the bench and really see what she can do. where is all the recoil everyone talks about? i was nervous at first but pleasantly surprised with low recoil. maybe all the 3 1/2" i shot this duck season has desensitized me lol.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
those duck loads will do that! the 180gr loads will probably kick a little harder but shouldn't be much worse. the heavier/slower bullet most likely will damage less meat than the lighter loadings... as to the trajectory out to 300 yards or so there just isn't enough difference to matter. there may be an inch or two's difference but if a person takes the time to memorize his loads trajectory and practices his range estimation skills there is no disadvantage to the heavier loading! the range estimating skills and knowledge of the trajectory of the load in use is important regardless of the situation...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just so happens the "cheapy" 150 federals made my farthest deer kill through a 308. Dropped it easy.. I was opting for my 50ML that day, though when the opportunity arose, I *had* to snatch the ole Remington 600 from my friend. I'll vouch for 'em to kill just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Keep those 150's out of the edible meat parts, joe, IMO! That mostly means the shoulder, and not including the edible heart, which is sacrificial. For the ranges you are contemplating, I'd go to a stout 165 at least, or even a 180. I don't know the pedigree of your cheap Federals - ballistic tips? They can be a bit explosive, but if kept behind the shoulder, they'll do just fine. I favor the Nosler partitions in 165 or 180 in the '06.

And, welcome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are the 150gr soft point federals i dont think they are boat tail cheap federals. i paid 15 bucks for em. the first box i picked up were barnes 165gr tsx at $43 my wife bout died lol.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,724 Posts
If they have plastic tips, don't shoot the parts you plan on eating. Good luck.... I use 165gr. Partitions in a handload. Works great.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
if you make a good shot with that federal 150 soft point ..you good to go.. of course for me its shoulder shot im gonna make not boiler ..i don t like to try an follow blood trails in this thich brushy area i live in..good luck..
as to paper shooting an best paper accuracy..thats only gonna be important on 300 an more shots.. but if you can nail a pop can at 150 yrds ..you should have that covered too. just set your gun up for 200 yrd zero..of course practice is necessary as balistic charts provide good starting places .. but anything needs some time in.. slim
ps..the 165 an 180 are my choice though

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I used 180gr SP Remington Core-Lokt in my .30-06 for many years. All my shots were less than 150yds. Later on, as I spent more time in/near fields, I switched to 180gr PSP. Cheap factory ammo but worked extremely well on whitetails. I always liked heavier bullets to insure pass-through. I never recovered a bullet and I even shot through (not intentially) about a 4" diameter sapling once with the SP and got the deer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i prefer the heavy weights also cause i feel they would hold together better but like the flatter shooting of the 150s so 165 should be a great comprimise. i think the maximum range i would ever take a shot would be 300yds and id much rather it be 30yds cause long shots are cool but up close and personal is huntin. my first buck i ever killed was with a 243 and buck fever got me and i executed a perfect miss at about 50yds. he takes off runs out to about 300yds and stops and i connected on the second shot meat in the freezer. i had actually thought about getting another 243 because i dont remember much holdover and it was effective. how does my trajectory compare the the 243 if i go with 165s? i had so much confidence with that gun. its a relationship i want with my '06 lol.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Good choices all Joe.

I prefer 180 grain Sierra ProHunters or Nosler Partitions in my 30-06. Deer, moose, black bear, none of them will know what the bullet was. I just know that I can hold dead on out to 350 and hit with that 180 cause it doesnt drop badly in the 06 until you get out to almost 400-450.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
i prefer the heavy weights also cause i feel they would hold together better but like the flatter shooting of the 150s so 165 should be a great comprimise. i think the maximum range i would ever take a shot would be 300yds and id much rather it be 30yds cause long shots are cool but up close and personal is huntin. my first buck i ever killed was with a 243 and buck fever got me and i executed a perfect miss at about 50yds. he takes off runs out to about 300yds and stops and i connected on the second shot meat in the freezer. i had actually thought about getting another 243 because i dont remember much holdover and it was effective. how does my trajectory compare the the 243 if i go with 165s? i had so much confidence with that gun. its a relationship i want with my '06 lol.
The '06 with 165gr bullets won't be quite as flat as a .243 with 100gr pills, but the difference is not substantial, by any means. If I were hunting exclusively deer with an '06, I would go with the 150gr Partition and not look back. That bullet will expand, and it will penetrate, all the way through, pretty much every single time. The only remaining factor will be the most important one of all: Placing your shot is far more important than what bullet you choose, especially when hunting deer with a powerful centerfire round. Don't over-think it, the way I often do. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had real good luck with the Nosler Accu Bond. I have to agree that the Nosler balistic tips can be a bit explosive, especialy if you get anywhere near the shoulder. The Accu Bonds hold together real well. I shoot 150's in my .308, 180's in my 30-06, and 200's in my 300 Win Mag. All handloads, loaded in the medium velocity range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didnt figure it shot quite as flat as the old 243. it wasnt as hard to choose a bullet either it was pretty much anything i wanted as long as it was a 100gr hornady cause thats what i had faith in. i am thinkin 165gr and i really wanna try the accubonds. i am hearing a lot of good things about them. who loads em? i also would like to thank everyone for the information/opinions. this is the nicest and most helpfull forum by far!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will never call it ugly! its plain wood stock, dull finish, but mine has a great trigger and very smooth action. its older and has a few marks here and there its like an old pair of blue jeans. both my hunting buds have synthetic stocked remingtons that are nice but they both really liked my little beater gun. plus it was Several hundred dollars cheaper than the x-bolt i want. ill get a great scope and still be under that budget! plus i got the whole old school thing goin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts