Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Seems to satisfy the guy who made the video. I use a boresnake and an upper-receiver mop. You gotta get all that crud out of the upper so it doesn't gum-up the works once it cools and hardens. There's a Birchwood-Casey product called Gunscrubber that you spray into the nooks and crannies of your gun, let it run out (over a trash can) and keep spraying in short bursts until the stuff runs clean. Gunscrubber is a solvent and a degreaser kind o' like brake cleaner, but not so harsh that it will attack the plastic furniture on your rifle. I have a can; have had it for a long, long time. Never used it. I always go the difficult and time-consuming old-school way when I clean a rifle. That would be if I had any. I lost all my guns in a freak boating accident. Hit a swell, the guns jumped up and went right over the side into the deepest part of the lake. It was tragic. So tragic...

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always go the difficult and time-consuming old-school way when I clean a rifle. That would be if I had any. I lost all my guns in a freak boating accident. Hit a swell, the guns jumped up and went right over the side into the deepest part of the lake. It was tragic. So tragic...
I'm sorry, that's terrible man not even a gun left to blow your brains out with...maybe that was a good thing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
You clean your AR15's???

I might pull out the BCG and give everything a wipe down with a dry cloth and get the big chunks of carbon out once a year on each rifle. I'll clean the barrel once a year or so as well if the rifle is lucky. They all run problem free and they all shoot accurate as can be. My current primary use rifle is an lWRC M6IC SPR which is a type of short stroke piston operated rifle. So it just sprays gas on the inside of the handguard and on the outside surface of the barrel. I put 400 rounds through it last Saturday and it is almost spotless in the upper. I intend to run about 400-500 more through it when I finally get to take home my sound suppressors that have been approved for 11 days now. They said it won't stay that clean with the extra back pressure from the suppressor. I'll supposedly get blow back from the barrel/chamber and it will get dirty. So I may finally have to clean the upper receiver.

Honestly cleaning a black rifle should not be a tedious or time consuming effort. Especially for an AR15. In 30 rounds it will be so full of gunk you will have to spend another 2 hours getting it perfectly clean again.

If I pull a rifle completely apart for any parts swapping or whatever. I will detail clean it since it is so easy to get the hard to reach areas with the barrel, gas system, etc, removed and in a pile of scrap.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Many soldiers have over cleaned their guns as commanders wanted them cleaned everytime they were turned back in to the arms room. Recent combat experience and heavy training has shown that it does need that level of cleanilness. After 1000rds guns will be full of gunk and carbon but still realilable, keep it wet with CLP. Break down and clean when time permits.

CD

Reactions: M4M

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Best way to clean a M4?
A) Dont shoot it.
B) Sell it for a better rifle.
:)

If everyone with a M4 did that, it would flood the market.

I'm new to AR's as an owner, and my first 80% was assembled with a Palmetto arms upper without a forward assist.

Because I will not use the carbine for hunting, or competition, it will not likely see the volume of fire CD and his buddies need to accommodate. And it will likely sit in my closet for weeks at a time between trips to the range. Because it's so easy to clean, (easiest?), I'll clean it after each trip, 40-50 rounds.

What is the issue(s), with regular cleaning?

Thanks NV, I'll pick up some gun scrubber for my gas tube.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Do NOT leave Oven Cleaner on it, it takes the finish away. Soak the bolt with some CLP or other carbon cleaner and wipe down. You can use a pipe cleaner inside the gas key and scape carbon off the inside of the bolt carrier (small toothbrush) Chamber is the hardest, they make a star shaped mop patch just for that or I use a dental pick to get the carbon out. Scrub chamber with a chamber brush every now and then. CLP on a bore brush for couple passes and then couple patches. Couple of magazines worth I'll just spend about 5-10 mins cleaning.

CD

Reactions: TMan and M4M

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Do NOT leave Oven Cleaner on it, it takes the finish away.
CD, I knew I could count on ya'. :)

I'll stop with the oven cleaner right now.

Seriously, I'll look into the mop. I use old tooth brushes on revolvers for hard to hit spots, can do. Should I CLP the gas tube? (Or use the oven cleaner :))

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
CD, I knew I could count on ya'. :)

I'll stop with the oven cleaner right now.

Seriously, I'll look into the mop. I use old tooth brushes on revolvers for hard to hit spots, can do. Should I CLP the gas tube? (Or use the oven cleaner :))
Whatever you put into the gas tube will be blown out! :D

Mops/Patches, 2 types

CD

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If you think your AR gets dirty.... I fired my rifle suppressor real good for the first time today. Just mounted it up to my LWRC after I made sure the bullets were stabilizing and that the mount was concentric... I put 270 rounds through it today with the can on. It is 1,000 times dirtier than when I put 450 rounds through it last Saturday when my friend was in town before his deployment!

I've never seen so much gunk in this rifle. My .22's are completely full of it as well but the rifle is worse!

I may have to actually start cleaning it somewhat often now if I'm going to be shooting with the sound suppressor.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
easiest why to clean an AR-15, get a sonic parts cleaner and let that do the work. Cleans everything off the BCG without any trouble at all.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Thanks nv; I'll pick up some Gunscrubber for my gas tube.
There are also very long pipecleaners available for just that purpose.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Easiest why to clean an AR-15; get a sonic parts cleaner and let that do the work. Cleans everything off the BCG without any trouble at all.
Got one; used to use it for cleaning brass before I went to wet-tumbling. It now has a new use. Thank you for the tip!

Reactions: dmsbandit

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Got one; used to use it for cleaning brass before I went to wet-tumbling. It now has a new use. Thank you for the tip!
hornady make 2 solutions. one for brass cleaning, one for gun cleaning.

I bought mine for just gun cleaning and I'll never spend hours again cleaning my pistols or BCG. turn the unit on, let it heat up, put your parts in, go have dinner. All the crap just wipes off.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Hornady makes two solutions. One for brass cleaning; one for gun cleaning. Turn the unit on, let it heat up, put your parts in, go have dinner. All the crap just wipes off.
I'd try just dishwashing soap first; I'd leave the BCG in for maybe three hours. I used to do my brass the same way. Set a kitchen timer for sixteen minutes. Cleaner runs only eight minutes, then has to set eight minutes to allow transducer to cool down. Run the sixteen-minute cycle over and over for three to four hours. Even the primer pockets came out spotless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts