Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best WW2 era rifle to mount a modern optic to. My eyes are pretty messed up from lasik and I pretty much can’t use iron sites on anything. I have to put a nice scope on every one of my rifles at this point. I love WW2 era rifles (or clones) but they are very difficult to shoot. I bought a Yugo m24/47 but I should have done more research because it is a pain getting a scope proper on it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Mausers are easy; except need a new safety, and a bolt bending. Same with springfield, plus with '03a3 you need to remove rear sight and grind rear ring. jap Arisaka also. But results are worth it, rigid.

M1 and M1 carbine have some no-drill scope mounts (B-Square, etc) that work OK. Not as rigid as drill and tap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mausers are easy; except need a new safety, and a bolt bending. Same with springfield, plus with '03a3 you need to remove rear sight and grind rear ring. jap Arisaka also. But results are worth it, rigid.

M1 and M1 carbine have some no-drill scope mounts (B-Square, etc) that work OK. Not as rigid as drill and tap.
Yeah I have my Mauser to the local gunsmith and told him I wanted a scope mounted. He Drilled 3 holes and then told me it wasn’t gonna work. Cost me over $100. I needed a bent bolt, new safety, would have to notch the stock in 2 places, and get extra high scope rings. I love the gun but idk it it’s worth it.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
1) I love the gun
2) but idk it it’s worth it.
If #1 is true, then #2 can't be anything other than "of course it is".

Are you trying to mount scopes on guns you enjoy shooting, or trying to increase the value of something for sale?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If #1 is true, then #2 can't be anything other than "of course it is".

Are you trying to mount scopes on guns you enjoy shooting, or trying to increase the value of something for sale?
I suppose you are right. Guess I’ve never done a lot of work to anything I’ve bought. Trying to mount something on guns I enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Actually any alteration to a ww-2 mil rifle will decrease it's collector value. I'll be going to h3LL for all the ww-2 rifles I converted in the 1960s, when they were purchased sold original for under $10 and I resold for $35.

see some friend there, I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually any alteration to a ww-2 mil rifle will decrease it's collector value. I'll be going to h3LL for all the ww-2 rifles I converted in the 1960s, when they were purchased sold original for under $10 and I resold for $35.

Yeah if I had an authentic Kar98k I probably wouldn’t mess with it.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
. I'll be going to h3LL for all the ww-2 rifles I converted in the 1960s

Yeah, if that's all it takes. I'll be the MC, I'll save enough seats for everyone. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
still have an '03A3 and M1 carbine perfect. Just spent 7 hours and $120 to make the carbine legal in NYS and keep it original. got a Krag, but it was sporterized by others in the 1950s. But still charming.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. While it is possible to mount a scope on a WWII era rifle, there are some compromises and costs that come into play. The Insta-Mounts work, but the scope is usually mounted too high or too far forward. Going all out to drill and tap, alter the bolt and adding a safety gets expensive. My best results were to find a military rifle that someone else sporterized and mounted a scope and then ended up on the used gun racks. Results vary and one has to be very careful and selective. All the best...
Gil

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
A drill and tap job without an understanding of the work needed to complete the job was gunsmith's malfeasance.
The Model 98 is still the easiest infantry rifle to convert to scope use ,with the 1903A3 the second in line.
IER scopes open the way for a cheap way using the rear sight mount. That saves a bunch of bucks. No bolt or saftey alteration needed and no drill and tap, either.
For the scout scope option, any rifle with open sights on the barrel can be used without alteration. That leaves out the 1903A3 but makes the 1903 a natural.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. Apparently I think I ruined my Mauser anyways by not cleaning it properly after shooting corrosive ammo

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you're not opposed to the .303 Enfield this video shows how to mount a scope in 2 minutes with no permanent modification to the rifle

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looking for the best WW2 era rifle to mount a modern optic to. My eyes are pretty messed up from lasik and I pretty much can’t use iron sites on anything. I have to put a nice scope on every one of my rifles at this point. I love WW2 era rifles (or clones) but they are very difficult to shoot. I bought a Yugo m24/47 but I should have done more research because it is a pain getting a scope proper on it.
I have scopes mounted on my 6.5 and 7.7 Arisakas, I enjoy shooting them both, even killed a couple of deer with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought Lasik was supposed to correct poor vision- lol. If it doesn’t already have one it may be worth considering getting an inexpensive
rifle . Quite a few are fairly accurate and mount scopes easily. My eyes are going, but I’d never put a scope on my k98k Mauser. or even a 30-06 Mannlicher. I have two 30-30 lever actions that pained me to put scopes on for my aging eyes. But I just couldn’t get myself to put one on a 94 Winchester lever action.lol. Some things are better off being left as is. I always like having a few rifles without scopes in their purist forms. It may as well be the old war horses that I elect not to scope.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I
Yeah I have my Mauser to the local gunsmith and told him I wanted a scope mounted. He Drilled 3 holes and then told me it wasn’t gonna work. Cost me over $100. I needed a bent bolt, new safety, would have to notch the stock in 2 places, and get extra high scope rings. I love the gun but idk it it’s worth it.
If the guy couldn't tell by looking at it if mounting a scope would work, he isn't much of a gunsmith, and shouldn't have started drilling holes. You should tell him to stuff his $100 bill where the sun don't shine.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,598 Posts
What rifter said, the guy sounds like a schister type to me.

RJ

1 - 20 of 33 Posts